Zeppelin Songs that were never played live

NickZepp

Posted this on another thread but I think it deserves it's own thread. Some of these ended up being played by the members of the band after they separated.

Zeppelin I

Your Time is Gonna Come is the only one.

Good Times was rarely played but usually as a medley with Communication Breakdown. It usually wasn't played in full.

YTIGC was played in a WLL medley in 72 but not in full.

Zeppelin II

Livin Loving Maid-it was kind of teased once.

Full version of Ramble On. Ramble On has been played by Robert Plant and it was played with Page and Plant in the 90s. Never a full version by Zeppelin though just parts of it and they did this several times.

Zeppelin III

Hats off to Roy Harper is the only one.

Friends was only played one time that I know of. Rumor is that they had to add a song because Bonham fainted back stage after drinking. This was in Japan in 71.

Out on the Tiles was played several times in 1970.

Every song off IV was played live.

Four Sticks was only played a couple of times.

When the Levee Breaks was played 3 times. Brussels, and two times in the Chicago shows in 1975.

HOH

D'yer M'Aker is really the only one. And parts of it were played twice that I know of.

The Crunge was played live in WLL medley's in 75 several times. Basically in a full capacity. Sometimes it left off a verse or a line or two.

PG

The Rover was never played in full. There is one from a rehearsal in the 70's(I want to say 73 but it could be 75)

Custard Pie was played by Plant sometimes in his solo tours. Never played by Zeppelin.

Houses of the Holy was never played live by Zeppelin

In The Light was never played live because the instrument JPJ used was so fragile they couldn't tour with it.

Down by the Seaside, Night Flight, and Boogie with Stu

Black Country was never really played in full.

Presence

For Your Life

Royal Orleans

Candy Rock Store

Hots on for Nowhere

Tea For One

In Through the Out Door

South Bend Suarez

Fool in the Rain

Carousalumbra

I'm Gonna Crawl

Coda

Poor Tom

Walter's Walk(it was sometimes teased in D&C)

Ozone Baby

Darlene

Bonzo's Montreux

Wearing and Tearing

Other Songs

Traveling Riverside Blues

Baby Please Come Home

Hey Hey What Can I Do

Very interesting info...

Di you know if When the leave breaks was oficcialy recorded?

Yes they were. You can probably find all 3 boots if you look hard enough. I have 1/12 Brussels and the 1/20 Chicago show. I don't have the 1/21 Chicago show.

-Your Time Is Gonna Come was played shortly as a part of a jam-medley, i guess it was '72 at Japan? Never really played solely.

-I'm pretty sure When The Levee Breaks has been performed once or twice during the history of Zep. [Answered]

-And man, Fool In The Rain is a very, very cool song (albeit bit too similiar in all parts). Pre-Zep era: Plant perfomed it with Pearl Jam recently, at some charity gig.

Walter's Walk(it was sometimes teased in D&C)

Yeah, during D&C jams they would play a part very much reminding the WW.

In fact, i think Walter's Walk was inspired BY the D&C jams and it was recorded at Rolling Stones Mobile studio.

Played live or not - it's up to you.

-Carouselambra has been in fact played with In The Evening on No Quarter - tour (i gotta hear this version, it sounds bombastic). But yeah, never during Zeppelin.

If you count solo tours then almost every song listed gets taken off.

Fool in the Rain, I'm Gonna Crawl, Wearing and Tearing, Poor Tom(I think), Tea For One, Candy Rock Store, Ramble On off the top of my head were all played live by Plant with or without Page.

Well, I'm glad that Fool in the Rain and Hats Off to Roy Harper were never played live! haha

Stevey :)

Fool in the Rain is amazing! Bonham's rolls are bloody tight. By far one of the coolest drum rythms i've ever heard. Sure the song is different but thats what made them so great.

• 9 years later...
On 11/23/2007 at 10:34 AM, NickZepp said:

Funny because this was posted a month before they played Ramble On at the 2007 reunion in O2 Arena.

I am pretty sure they played When the Levee Breaks more than 3 times, but I might be wrong.

And I have a live version of For your Life and it is better than the studio version.

The Rover once again I have a live version and it seems pretty complete to me.

I am still really impressed that they never played Dyer Maker live. It is still to this day one of my favorite songs from them, and it is (with of course Stairway to Heaven) the first song I knew from them.

On 11/23/2007 at 10:34 AM, NickZepp said:

Some of these songs were played by Page with the Black Crowes and were absolutely outstanding - e.g In the Light, Hots on for Nowhere, Custard Pie. They also played the best version of TYG I have heard live. Just a pity Plant wasn't involved. Custard Pie was also played by Page and Plant in 1995 in Japan, as was Tea for One. 

On 11/23/2007 at 10:08 PM, Deals said:

Fool in the Rain is amazing! Bonham's rolls are bloody tight. By far one of the coolest drum rythms i've ever heard. Sure the song is different but thats what made them so great.

Fool in the Rain is the only good song from ITTOD. It's such a great sound but the rest of the album is trash. Sorry to anyone who likes that album but face it, it's not good. 

Archived