The Dictators

JethroTull

WARNING: If you are feeling musically vunerable, please to not read this.

Remember Jack Black in the movie High Fidelity? All those guys in the record store with their high fallutin' opinions about music. Well, The members of The Dictators come across like that but about 100 times more so. Scott "Top Ten" Kempner(the guy on the far right above), formed The Del Lords with Eric Amble in the 80's wrote a very long piece about the bands history etc and it's included in the recently released two CD rarities collection. Here is one paragraph exactly as it appears.....

"The year is 1970, and the rock n' roll landscape is bleak. The great British bands of the 60's are either done, or one album away from being taken out with the recycling. Not that anyone was reycling yet in 1970. Maybe this is where recycling actually began! But, it's the Beatles, adios; the Stones are a year or so away from EXILE ON MAIN STREET and then they too would never again make a great album, the Who are still awesome live but their records will also henceforth suck, the Kinks have already made their last non-shit record; and here in the USA we do have the Flamin' Groovies, the Stooges and our beloved MC5, all of whom are either marginalized, or drug addled, or both, either way they ain't causing much of a bother out there in the big world. The incredible J. Geils Band are soon to be Arena Rock (just as soon as someone invents the term); and Earth to Commander Cody, come in pleeeeeeze! So, we made do with low-end crap like Glam Rock as a substitute. It reminds me now of being fourteen and really wanting to get high, buying a dime bag of some really shit pot from a known skuzzy dealer and trying like hell to convince yourself that you were actually catching a buzz off this crap. That's my glam Rock analogy. Like it? God, how I've come to hate that shit. Fuckin' Bowie."

Oh, just two years ago I discovered Scott's 80's band The Del Lords were named after the director/producer of most of The Three Stooges movies and shorts. His name...Del Lord.

WARNING: If you are feeling musically vunerable, please to not read this.

Remember Jack Black in the movie High Fidelity? All those guys in the record store with their high fallutin' opinions about music. Well, The members of The Dictators come across like that but about 100 times more so. Scott "Top Ten" Kempner(the guy on the far right above), formed The Del Lords with Eric Amble in the 80's wrote a very long piece about the bands history etc and it's included in the recently released two CD rarities collection. Here is one paragraph exactly as it appears.....

"The year is 1970, and the rock n' roll landscape is bleak. The great British bands of the 60's are either done, or one album away from being taken out with the recycling. Not that anyone was reycling yet in 1970. Maybe this is where recycling actually began! But, it's the Beatles, adios; the Stones are a year or so away from EXILE ON MAIN STREET and then they too would never again make a great album, the Who are still awesome live but their records will also henceforth suck, the Kinks have already made their last non-shit record; and here in the USA we do have the Flamin' Groovies, the Stooges and our beloved MC5, all of whom are either marginalized, or drug addled, or both, either way they ain't causing much of a bother out there in the big world. The incredible J. Geils Band are soon to be Arena Rock (just as soon as someone invents the term); and Earth to Commander Cody, come in pleeeeeeze! So, we made do with low-end crap like Glam Rock as a substitute. It reminds me now of being fourteen and really wanting to get high, buying a dime bag of some really shit pot from a known skuzzy dealer and trying like hell to convince yourself that you were actually catching a buzz off this crap. That's my glam Rock analogy. Like it? God, how I've come to hate that shit. Fuckin' Bowie."

Oh, just two years ago I discovered Scott's 80's band The Del Lords were named after the director/producer of most of The Three Stooges movies and shorts. His name...Del Lord.

Despite not agreeing with the paragraph, it really is funny. I don't think that'll upset too many people.

• 5 weeks later...
I dont think there is anything worse than punk. Just yelling and screaming and pounding. Even rap takes more talent. Id rather listen to old classical or jazz, anything but punk.

I'm not a huge fan of punk myself but I'm also forever thankful for it. Rock n' roll had grown to such great excess in the mid to late 70s it needed a kick in the pants. Thank goodness punk rock was there to provide it. It also led to many of the great post-punk groups I know and love such as R.E.M., the Replacements, the Cure, Guadalcanal Diary, U2, etc.

I dont think there is anything worse than punk. Just yelling and screaming and pounding. Even rap takes more talent. Id rather listen to old classical or jazz, anything but punk.

While there are bands that fit in your narrow description, the Dictators are not one of them, in case you came here to learn anything about them instead of just bash.

• 1 month later...

This new probably deserves a topic all its own, but I'll consolidate......From The Dictators....

KEMPNER ANNOUNCES SOLO CD, DEL-LORDS REISSUES

Scott "Top Ten" Kempner is releasing his first solo album in 16 years, Saving Grace, on June 10. The disc, on the 00:02:59 label, features contributions from such artists as Dion, ex-bandmate Frank Funaro and the Smithereens' Mike Mesaros. Read more about Saving Grace in this Article at antiMusic and in Scott's Scott's Blog. Also in that posting, Scott says that all four studio Del-Lords albums are set for reissue in 2008. "This is my new strategy," he writes. "Take a decade or so off and then release five albums in one year, six if you count the Dictators' . . . Every Day Is Saturday.

This new probably deserves a topic all its own, but I'll consolidate......From The Dictators....

KEMPNER ANNOUNCES SOLO CD, DEL-LORDS REISSUES

Scott "Top Ten" Kempner is releasing his first solo album in 16 years, Saving Grace, on June 10. The disc, on the 00:02:59 label, features contributions from such artists as Dion, ex-bandmate Frank Funaro and the Smithereens' Mike Mesaros. Read more about Saving Grace in this Article at antiMusic and in Scott's Scott's Blog. Also in that posting, Scott says that all four studio Del-Lords albums are set for reissue in 2008. "This is my new strategy," he writes. "Take a decade or so off and then release five albums in one year, six if you count the Dictators' . . . Every Day Is Saturday.

Thanks for the update. B)

• 9 years later...

Archived