There Will Be Blood OST

BigBadZep

Anyone given it a listen?

I've haven't heard it yet myself, but I've talked to people who absolutely rave about it. From what I can gather apparently it recalls stuff by composers like Ligeti and Penderecki. So I'm really looking forward to listening to it.

Yeah, I got it a week or two ago (would've gotten it a month ago but it can be hard to find). It's fantastic, and I hope it's not just the fanboy in me saying so. I've listened o it a least 6 times through.

Simple strings with piano on a few tracks and percussion on one. Nothing more. It's so, so good. Which, for me at least, I think says a lot because I don't actively listen to classical-type music, yet I keep coming back to this album.

edit...

I have Jonny's other works, Bodysong, 'Smear', 'Piano For Children', and 'Popcorn Superhet Receiver', and TWBB is the best of the lot. Some of the tracks are actually excerpts from his 'Popcorn Superhet Receiver' piece.

Jonny's actually the BBC's resident composer right now.

I listened to it for the first time last night and yeah, I liked it. You're right, the arrangements are very intimate. Outside of a couple of moments it's not quite as dissonant as I had anticipated in my mind, but still haunting. Especially tracks 5 and 6. Now I'm interested in watching the movie to see how effectively the score works in the context of the film. Because if done right the effect can be so poignant and chilling. As with the Ligeti pieces in all those Kubrick films for example.

Archived