Jonseys Achilles Riff

Pb Derigable

I ve been trying to duplicate the Achilles last stand bass line for the last ten years. I could play any part of the song except the the Chugging part. The first part. Now does he get that sound from using a double octave bass. I ve never heard anybody else repeat this feat. Tell me yes or no or send me the right tabs.

I ve been trying to duplicate the Achilles last stand bass line for the last ten years. I could play any part of the song except the the Chugging part. The first part. Now does he get that sound from using a double octave bass. I ve never heard anybody else repeat this feat. Tell me yes or no or send me the right tabs.

I have no idea but that Chugging sound you say is awsome, would he be playing that in triplets ?? kinda galloping like Iron Maiden were famous for a few years later ??

I have no idea but that Chugging sound you say is awsome, would he be playing that in triplets ?? kinda galloping like Iron Maiden were famous for a few years later ??

The part is definitely triplets played on muted strings, undoubtedly inspiring Heart to write Barracuda, and as you point out, for Iron Maiden to base a whole style on.

I think the key to the song is the bass tone, coupled with the longer bass neck on that guitar, it allowes the slap and click of the strings to really project.  The bass player from Korn has always kind of had a wimpier version of Jones's ALS tone.

Are we speaking strickly the live versions? Or studio?

Live...Indeed...it's muted 8 string bass played w/ a pick. Intended to fill on the void of low mids/mids absent due to Page's many guitar tracks on the recorded version. If Jones were to play his bass lines exactly like on the album, the song would have been way to thin in the guitar range.

Are we speaking strickly the live versions? Or studio?

Live...Indeed...it's muted 8 string bass played w/ a pick. Intended to fill on the void of low mids/mids absent due to Page's many guitar tracks on the recorded version. If Jones were to play his bass lines exactly like on the album, the song would have been way to thin in the guitar range.

I'm not sure his approach live on Achilles was that different from the studio version. Both used the 8-string. He did use the 8-string on a few other songs to thicken up the sound. I think he used it on Black Dog from 1977 onward, and perhaps also WLL. I was kind of disappointed that he didn't use it more at the O2 where it could have compensated for the downtuning.

The part is definitely triplets played on muted strings, undoubtedly inspiring Heart to write Barracuda, and as you point out, for Iron Maiden to base a whole style on.

I think the key to the song is the bass tone, coupled with the longer bass neck on that guitar, it allowes the slap and click of the strings to really project.  The bass player from Korn has always kind of had a wimpier version of Jones's ALS tone.

It is such an exciting bass sound and i wonder was there such a bass sound like that before ALS, obviously after there was !!

What's astounding is even when Jonesy is doing the muted notes percussive gallop, he still works in key root motion notes for the verse.

WTF? See i think i play the bass good, but there will be a kid at Guitar Center, who butchers everything, but then he'll come up to me and asked me all these question in music Jargon and i feel stupid. I understand what you mean, but it took me awhile.

Archived