Guitar tone

JimmyPage1977

I've used many amps and configurations over the years. The best ever was two Marshall half stacks with Soldano preamps and Lexicon Multi-effectors (in my effects loop) with a midi controller. I had 2 JCM 800's and two slant cabs with Celestion greenbacks. The preamps were wired after the lexicons to get stereo effects. I had each cab miked and had a pedal board with a Crybaby wah, an echoplex, a looper and a couple of cool Electro-Harmonix effects going into the front end. I used a violin bow, as well as an E-bow.

My guitars? 5 Gibson Les Pauls (one Black Beauty 70's, one Goldtop 70's, one Cherry Sunburst Standard 70's, one Amber Burst Standard mid 90's, one Heritage Flame Top'95) a couple of Flying V's and an Explorer.

I have a couple of recordings of live shows if anyone is interested in how it sounded.

Firstly, anyone with a setup like that I would love to hear some recordings!

Personally, I think if your gear isn't crap, 95% of it is in your hands. As I said in another thread, I can play my Custom Shop 59 reissue through my DSL or my SLP Plexi or my Strat (with Duncans and DiMarzios) through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (my rehearsal rig) and still sound like me. I've used Carvins. Traynors, Acoustics, Fenders, Marshalls (many), Soldanos, Peaveys, Sunns, Silvertones...It still sounds like me. To be honest, for me what matters is being able to drive the power amp tubes instead of relying on the preamp stage or stomp boxes. Nothing beats a matched set of EL34s, 5881s or KT88s singing for dear life. That's why I use 50 watt amps. I won't be playing the Forum or Madison Square Garden anytime soon, but getting that amp to sing is the joy.

5 LPs? Going to go cry in my beer. Lucky devil you!! What id give for one. Would like to hear you and Evster both.

Your wish is my command! :lol:

Strat through a Marshall. OTHAFA. They say a camera adds ten pounds. I have to wonder how many cameras were on me! :hysterical:

Have mercy, this was from our first gig after just four rehearsals of the song. :beer:

Your wish is my command! :lol:

Strat through a Marshall. OTHAFA. They say a camera adds ten pounds. I have to wonder how many cameras were on me! :hysterical:

Have mercy, this was from our first gig after just four rehearsals of the song. :beer:

Very cool, Evan. I'll have to figure out how to get my recordings on here and preserve my privacy.

Archived