Sheet music?

Jarlaxle 56

Where is the best place to buy quality sheet music for drums? I'm looking for a lot of rock stuff, Soundgarden, Yes, Tool, etc... I've been looking at some sites and the best thing I found were some Rush books (Which I will probably get)

Thanks in advance!

Where is the best place to buy quality sheet music for drums? I'm looking for a lot of rock stuff, Soundgarden, Yes, Tool, etc... I've been looking at some sites and the best thing I found were some Rush books (Which I will probably get)

Thanks in advance!

No help here, I've never read sheet music for anything other than orchestral, or drumcorps.

Jazz sheet music gives you a time sig and a bunch of bars for improv, and rock has always been completely attainable by ear.

Do you play to tracks you like with headphones at all?

No help here, I've never read sheet music for anything other than orchestral, or drumcorps.

Jazz sheet music gives you a time sig and a bunch of bars for improv, and rock has always been completely attainable by ear.

Do you play to tracks you like with headphones at all?

I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones that I use to play along with, however It really helps me to have it written in front of me when I'm learning something new. I suppose I COULD listen and transcribe the music myself...

I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones that I use to play along with, however It really helps me to have it written in front of me when I'm learning something new. I suppose I COULD listen and transcribe the music myself...

Interesting, rock is the most basic form of drumming, so I'm (not trying to be a dick) wondering what particular things you would need sheet for?

I started playing Rush by ear in high school, i guess once in a while it would have been nice to see what he was doing on paper, but most of my problems with Pearts parts were because of skill level! B)

Can I help with any song in particular?

Interesting, rock is the most basic form of drumming, so I'm (not trying to be a dick) wondering what particular things you would need sheet for?

I started playing Rush by ear in high school, i guess once in a while it would have been nice to see what he was doing on paper, but most of my problems with Pearts parts were because of skill level! B)

Can I help with any song in particular?

What I'm most concerned with is getting songs by Yes and Tool down on paper, just because the fact that Bruford and Carey both incorporate some really intricate rhythms into their songs.

Particularly these two songs which I am going to be learning with my band

Heart of The Sunrise or Then by Yes

and

The Pot by Tool

I don't need to learn the tabla parts at the beginning of The Pot

Edit: Not sure of which Yes songs to learn...

What I'm most concerned with is getting songs by Yes and Tool down on paper, just because the fact that Bruford and Carey both incorporate some really intricate rhythms into their songs.

Particularly these two songs which I am going to be learning with my band

Then by Yes

and

The Pot by Tool

I don't need to learn the tabla parts at the beginning of The Pot

Gotcha, not so much how to play the parts, but when. Carey doesn't faze me much, but Bill Bruford has confounded me a time or two. B)

I'm going to hunt down those songs, you have me curious.

I edited my post, I wanna learn any of these three by Yes

Owner of A Lonely Heart

Then

Heart of The Sunrise

I believe one of them is with Alan White as the drummer?

Edit: Yup, I probably won't need sheet music for Owner of a Lonely Heart, but the other two...

I edited my post, I wanna learn any of these three by Yes

Owner of A Lonely Heart

Then

Heart of The Sunrise

I believe one of them is with Alan White as the drummer?

Edit: Yup, I probably won't need sheet music for Owner of a Lonely Heart, but the other two...

Alan white did play on Owner of a lonely heart, he's pretty straight forward in his approach though.

Heart of the sunrise is not difficult, he just makes it sound so with his unconventional use of triplets. Whereas John Bonham would play triplets mostly between the toms and bass drum, Bruford does the same thing in a half -time feel betwwen the hat, snare, and bass drum. the There's a few press rolls, and tom accents that are so free form that I'm not sure sheet music would even be helpful!

Gotta love Bruford.

Thanks in advance!

have you tried 911tabs ?

I remember hunting down sheet music for drums being really really difficult. The best bet is trying to find a book that has the music for all the instruments, so not specifically looking for the drums. I just played by ear all the time...I only ever needed the sheet music if someone requested it.

Archived