Blues Thread

eagle87

Great to see a Blues thread kickin' along.I was speaking to a young fella at a party last weekend.I asked him what sort of music he was into,he said 'Blues,I'm into John Lee Hooker and stuff,and my friends can't understand it ?".Well,you know the deal,you coulda' knocked me over with the proverbial !

Turns out he was a guitarist and was just into jamming whatever he liked,which was not what the "straight's" liked.I started to give him some encouraging words when he said "nothing is gonna kill my love for the blues,nothin',ever !".I wished him the best,shook his hand and walked off.People relate to it,some more than others,one thing I'm sure of,the blues will never die.

Blues is my thing, I listen to blues more than anything. As much as I like the old stuff there are many great newer and somewhat recent blues artists out there that are exciting.

Among my faves are;

Michael Burks

Guy Forsythe

Steve Guyger

Watermelon Slim

Paul Filipowicz

Thanks for mentioning those. I've been more immersed in the old stuff so it's always good to get some suggestions on newer artists.

Thanks for mentioning those. I've been more immersed in the old stuff so it's always good to get some suggestions on newer artists.

You're welcome. I try to make a point of keeping up with the current stuff if I can, it's really easy for me to get stuck in music's past. It's somewhat easy to stay abreast of what's happening in blues now we have a great blues scene in Denver. Every night of the week there is a national act here and the local bands are great too. If the economy wasn't so messed up I'd be out every night dancing, drinkning and attending jams.

You're welcome. I try to make a point of keeping up with the current stuff if I can, it's really easy for me to get stuck in music's past. It's somewhat easy to stay abreast of what's happening in blues now we have a great blues scene in Denver. Every night of the week there is a national act here and the local bands are great too. If the economy wasn't so messed up I'd be out every night dancing, drinkning and attending jams.

I fully agree with you on not being stuck in the past. That's great you have an active blues scene there. Bummer it's hard to take full advantage of it these days.

I'm going to see Cut In The Hill Gang tonight at Captain's Rest in Glasgow. I guess you can say they play some sort of modern blues, not too far from R.L. and Hound Dog Taylor.

http://www.myspace.com/cutinthehillgang

Johnny Walker (vocals & guitars) is a former member of the Soledad Brothers who had a similar style:

http://www.myspace.com/soledadbrothers

Good stuff!

I'm going to see Cut In The Hill Gang tonight at Captain's Rest in Glasgow. I guess you can say they play some sort of modern blues, not too far from R.L. and Hound Dog Taylor.

http://www.myspace.com/cutinthehillgang

Johnny Walker (vocals & guitars) is a former member of the Soledad Brothers who had a similar style:

http://www.myspace.com/soledadbrothers

Good stuff!

Good stuff indeed - I particularly liked Cut In the Hill Gang!

Danelectro has mentioned a few in this thread worth checking out. I'll add Deep Blues by Robert Palmer. Great book, pretty easy read (Robert Plant likes it too FWIW :D ).

Yep. Deep Blues is great. Must reads are Chasin' That Devil Music by Gayle Dean Wardlow, Nothing But The Blues by Lawrence Cohn and Escaping The Delta by Elijah Wald. Also check out the Robert Johnson thread here, I posted links to a few informative articles. Nothing But The Blues takes it all the way back to Africa.

Check out -johnny copeland's song -kasavubu. he is a texas blues guitar player, appears on stevie ray vaughns box set. with this song, its blues guitar over an african poly rhthym, awesome.

Johnny was amazing, everything he did is worth checking out especially Showdown with Albert Collins and Robert Cray.

This is very cool, I love Blind Blake. No modern guitarists have ever been able to get this stuff right. Even Ry Cooder fumbles through stuff like this, it's a mofo to get this down. Amazing clarity from his sides too, most are well preserved.

Blind Blake

Keep 'em coming! I'm quite enjoying all the articles and clips you've been posting :D