Blues Thread

eagle87

Unreal stuff for sure, one of my faves. It's super hard to play in that style, those reso's tear your hands up if you beat on 'em like that.

Did you know that after Son was rediscovered Alan Wilson from Canned Heat had to teach him how to play his songs again. Son was sick and suffering from alcoholism. The crazy thing about that is as sharp as he was about blues Alan was sick himself, just a few years later he was found dead. There are some bootlegs out there of Alan playing in the hospital after his first od\ suicide. It is some of the most amazingly authentic country blues ever recorded. He was a different kind of guy.

I'm sure it is hard to play that style! What an interesting albeit sad story. I hadn't heard that before. Canned Heat is a band I really need to get some of their recordings. I'm familiar with them of course but for some odd reason, I don't own anything.

Canned Heat was a great band. IMO it was them, Clapton era Mayall and The Paul Butterfield Blues Band who were responsible for the 60's blues revival. Those 3 bands were key to it all, especially Canned Heat. Some of the members were record collectors and musicologists that actually went out and found the records and living pre-war blues artists. Bob Hite had several thousand 78's, Henry Vestine and Alan actually went into the delta to find records and living artifacts. Without them we wouldn't know what we do. Of course they kicked out some fine music in the process.

Ok I'll stop after this. But this is killer stuff, if you aren't floored by this you need your head checked. Pay attention to the audience, Booker White stuffs a bottle into his pocket.

Love it!!!

You were talking about Canned Heat before - can you throw out some recommendations of albums to check out?

You were talking about Canned Heat before - can you throw out some recommendations of albums to check out?

All of the early stuff is great.

1967 – Canned Heat, Liberty Records

1968 – Boogie with Canned Heat, Liberty

1968 – Living the Blues [Akarma], Liberty

1968 – Hallelujah, Liberty

1970 – Future Blues, Liberty

1970 – Hooker 'N Heat (w/ John Lee Hooker)

1971 – Live At Topanga Corral

Unfortunately they continued on long after key members died. There's a current version of the band that's pretty bad, only the drummer from back in the day is still around. I suppose everyone has to make a living.

All of the early stuff is great.

1967 – Canned Heat, Liberty Records

1968 – Boogie with Canned Heat, Liberty

1968 – Living the Blues [Akarma], Liberty

1968 – Hallelujah, Liberty

1970 – Future Blues, Liberty

1970 – Hooker 'N Heat (w/ John Lee Hooker)

1971 – Live At Topanga Corral

Unfortunately they continued on long after key members died. There's a current version of the band that's pretty bad, only the drummer from back in the day is still around. I suppose everyone has to make a living.

Excellent - thanks Danelectro for those. I shall add them to my huge list of albums to buy!

Here's the link to download the mp3 of "Aberdeen" by the Snakes. It was originally written by Bukka White, one of ninelives' favorite blues artists. It ends up rocking after starting off old style like.

Aberdeen

If you like this and the other's I've posted by this group The Snakes, let me know and I'll post more.

It's interesting because at times it sounds very "old school" and then other times it's got some other more modern sounds mixed in. I like it but I need to spend more time listening to it!

This song rules. I've been doing some reading and recently found out Blind Roosevelt Graves was on this recording. I had no idea and I've been listening to this song on a box set comp I've had for about a year. Interesting how many think this is among the first rock and roll type of structured songs. Many claim it to be the first but there is an older song that dates back to 1929 that is similar. BBQ Bust is kind of rock and rollish, the title and the tune.

This song rules. I've been doing some reading and recently found out Blind Roosevelt Graves was on this recording. I had no idea and I've been listening to this song on a box set comp I've had for about a year. Interesting how many think this is among the first rock and roll type of structured songs. Many claim it to be the first but there is an older song that dates back to 1929 that is similar. BBQ Bust is kind of rock and rollish, the title and the tune.

Fascinating to think this was written in 1936 when we often think of rock starting in the 1950s. Who'd a thought a kazoo could sound so hip! Nice fan danelectro :)

Fascinating to think this was written in 1936 when we often think of rock starting in the 1950s. Who'd a thought a kazoo could sound so hip! Nice fan danelectro :)

Hehe, yeah really. There's a bunch of old blues stuff with kazoo on it, those guys played kazoo like it was a horn. However the kazoo's they used and the toys we've become accustomed to were different things. There are some pretty serious kazoo's out there.

metal_trumpet.jpg

Hehe, yeah really. There's a bunch of old blues stuff with kazoo on it, those guys played kazoo like it was a horn. However the kazoo's they used and the toys we've become accustomed to were different things. There are some pretty serious kazoo's out there.

metal_trumpet.jpg

If there was no mention of a kazoo, I'd have thought it was a horn too. That's a pretty nifty looking version!

Anyone into the "one man bands" like Jesse Fuller and Duster Bennett? It's primitive and it's damn good!

Check out Duster's debut album, Smiling Like I'm Happy.

1302.jpg

There are many albums to recomend by Jesse Fuller, one of them are Jazz, Folk Songs, Spirituals & Blues from 1958.

San Franscisco Bay Blues (Live)

John Henry (live)

c50942oh5xc.jpg

(The songs I choose is not necessarily from the albums I recomended as youtube can't provide everything ;) )

You guys were talking about kazoos and stuff, got me thinking of Jesse Fuller who also use to play one. :D Duster was a friend of Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac. Some of them plays on his record but mainly it's only Duster. It's produced by Mike Vernon (who produced almost EVERY british blues band). Fleetwood Mac made a cover of Duster's song, Jumping At Shadows, great tune.

Jumping at shadows - Duster Bennett

Both versions are great!

BTW, here's the type of kazoo that Jesse used:

Kazoo.jpg

Edited by Swede

metal_trumpet.jpg

LOL, I've never seen a kazoo like that!

LOL, I've never seen a kazoo like that!

My dad used to havea collection of elaborate looking kazoos, which guests at our backyard parties were invited to play, along with harmonica and washtub bass. They had air chambers and valves built into them, but that was for goofyness only - as it did not function to change the sound of the "instrument". If you happen to rupture the diaphram disk on a kazoo, a rolling paper works as a suitable replacement for it.

You guys were talking about kazoos and stuff, got me thinking of Jesse Fuller who also use to play one. :D Duster was a friend of Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac. Some of them plays on his record but mainly it's only Duster. It's produced by Mike Vernon (who produced almost EVERY british blues band). Fleetwood Mac made a cover of Duster's song, Jumping At Shadows, great tune.

Both versions are great!

Kazoo.jpg

Yeah I love those guys, good stuff.

Speaking of F-Mac, have you heard the 1970 show on Wolfgang's Vault? It is amazing, they go into some extended jams that are mind blowing.

Anyone into the "one man bands" like Jesse Fuller and Duster Bennett? It's primitive and it's damn good!

Check out Duster's debut album, Smiling Like I'm Happy.

1302.jpg

There are many albums to recomend by Jesse Fuller, one of them are Jazz, Folk Songs, Spirituals & Blues from 1958.

San Franscisco Bay Blues (Live)

John Henry (live)

c50942oh5xc.jpg

(The songs I choose is not necessarily from the albums I recomended as youtube can't provide everything ;) )

Since you mention "one man bands" here's one (and only I guess) from my country who is actually my avatar at the moment.

Legendary Tiger Man (he's real name is Paulo Furtado)

It's basically a combination of blues and 50's rock n' roll. Hope you like it. B)

Both versions are great!

Kazoo.jpg

More fantastic stuff. Someone needs to finance all these records I want to get :D:lol:

Since you mention "one man bands" here's one (and only I guess) from my country who is actually my avatar at the moment.

Legendary Tiger Man (he's real name is Paulo Furtado)

It's basically a combination of blues and 50's rock n' roll. Hope you like it. B)

I've not heard of Paulo but I liked what you posted. I love the song "Route 66"

I've not heard of Paulo but I liked what you posted. I love the song "Route 66"

Thanks, he's not well known besides here in Portugal and France. Here's his myspace. :)

Oh, by the way he does play kazoo on some songs. :D

His music isn't exactly blues its more a kind of one-man-band blues mixed with rockabilly I guess.

Anyway here's a clip of a Portuguese guitarist, Rui Veloso, playing with B.B. King: