Blues Thread

eagle87

I m really starting to like the oringinal fleetwood mac with Peter Green. Could someone point out his best solo stuff. I love the Kiln house. to bad he was wired wrong just like his les paul was.

Yes, something about Fleetwood Mac guitar players in the early years wasn't right. Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan went loopy as well. All great players gone to waste...literally.

I might recommend "In The Skies", an album i haven't listened to in years. From what i remember, the rest of his solo stuff was pedestrian.

What do you think of the future of the blues? If you go into any store like the best buys of the world there is about a 3ft wide section for blues music.here in the chicago area there is a whole aisle for latino music and a much bigger section for world music.

I'm no purest.I like almost all kinds of blues.I would think there are alot of blues artists that straddle the rock line that should have more widespread popularity.Stevie Ray brought back the blues to a mass market,can that happen again?

Artists such as Joe Bonamassa,Kenny Wayne Sheppard,Albert Cummings Have the ability to bring back the blues,but It seems a harder road nowadays.

Edited by xmas

What do you think of the future of the blues? If you go into any store like the best buys of the world there is about a 3ft wide section for blues music.here in the chicago area there is a whole aisle for latino music and a much bigger section for world music.

I'm no purest.I like almost all kinds of blues.I would think there are alot of blues artists that straddle the rock line that should have more widespread popularity.Stevie Ray brought back the blues to a mass market,can that happen again?

Artists such as Joe Bonamassa,Kenny Wayne Sheppard,Albert Cummings Have the ability to bring back the blues,but It seems a harder road nowadays.

Everything in life is cyclical. The blues will be reintroduced to people who realize how utterly shallow some of today's music is.

It should be mandatory for everybody to see Buddy Guy live.

I count myself as very lucky to be able to have seen B.B. King (twice), Hubert Sumlin, and Buddy Guy. The stuff they're doing just isn't done anymore.

You dont think so? I get the blues wax ezine and it seems there are alot of band out there playing that style.Probably not as well,but I am not familiar enough with them to give out any details.

When I saw KWS several years ago on a bill with the Nuge and ZZ Top he was backed by Double Trouble. Not a bad show but it seems he spent a great deal of time showboating to tunes like Voodoo Chile. While he's definitely a good guitarist I didn't see where he was breaking any new ground. That's where the blues can be a little restrictive but there are folks out there pushing the boundaries such as the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Corey Harris, the North Mississippi All-Stars, the late Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside.

You dont think so? I get the blues wax ezine and it seems there are alot of band out there playing that style.Probably not as well,but I am not familiar enough with them to give out any details.

Not like they do. There's just something different about those guys from way back when. I don't want to say it's more "authentic," but there is something there in my ears that I don't hear when I listen to other people try and do it.

I just discovered Joan Armatrading's 2007 album Into the Blues, which I think is great--she's an adequate guitarist, but her singing is fabulous, as is her songwriting.

Interesting. I didn't know she put out a blues album. I think of her earlier days as being more soulful singer/songwriter. Must look into this. Always loved her voice.

The old guard is slowly dying off. Only a lucky few it seems, are able to become understudies of some of the greats.

Richard Johnston is one of them, learning directly from the late great R.L Burnside and others from the Mississippi Hill Country region.

Not like they do. There's just something different about those guys from way back when. I don't want to say it's more "authentic," but there is something there in my ears that I don't hear when I listen to other people try and do it.Its like having the recipe to your mothers favorite recipe but you cant quite duplicate it.

We may lose that when the last of the old guard is gone.Its hard to say if anyone will be able to duplicate that sound.Its like having your mothers recipe for making something and you cab

I know your a big SRV fan,but even he brought his own sound to the table.Which is good.

The old guard is slowly dying off. Only a lucky few it seems, are able to become understudies of some of the greats.

Richard Johnston is one of them, learning directly from the late great R.L Burnside and others from the Mississippi Hill Country region.

I like it.

We may lose that when the last of the old guard is gone.Its hard to say if anyone will be able to duplicate that sound.Its like having your mothers recipe for making something and you cab

I know your a big SRV fan,but even he brought his own sound to the table.Which is good.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that was a unique way. B.B. King's blues are the same as Stevie's blues, but completely different at the same time.

• 5 months later...
I need to email those clips to my son; he will be as interested in how those guitars were constructed as he will be in the music itself.

Ditto. My youngest is an apprentice mechanic and those guitars blew him away. His buddy is a fabricator so I think we may see some creative project at some point. Now, if I could only get him to put dishes in the dishwasher :huh:

Ditto. My youngest is an apprentice mechanic and those guitars blew him away. His buddy is a fabricator so I think we may see some creative project at some point. Now, if I could only get him to put dishes in the dishwasher :huh:

That's very cool that your son can do that. When my son was still living at home he was constantly taking apart and reconfiguring his guitars (changing necks, etc.). Then he would fool around with the amps and other electronic paraphernalia. Now that he's away at college, I miss having all of that around here.

Bo Didley's guitar is homemade, too?

Yes. It is mentioned in his obit here: Rock Pioneer Bo Diddley Dies at 79 There is probably at least one article online that explains when and how his guitar was made.