Blues Thread

eagle87

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are some pics I took at the Filmore East in Jan '69 of BB, Johnny Winter and Terry Reid. The concert tickets were a birthday present. I've always been a huge blues fan.

This was Winter's second concert in NYC and his first album was recently released. Terry Reid opened for the Cream about 2 months previously which I also saw.

Sorry for the poor scans but these were some of the first I did before I knew what I was doing and before I bought Photoshop.

post-27411-0-80115300-1389987725_thumb.j

post-27411-0-49770300-1389987726_thumb.j

post-27411-0-90572300-1389987738_thumb.j

post-27411-0-65880100-1389987739_thumb.j

post-27411-0-45188600-1389987740_thumb.j

post-27411-0-06796400-1389987741_thumb.j

post-27411-0-76616200-1389987741_thumb.j

Edited by Hue & Eye

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In the world of early-20th-century African-American music and people obsessed by it, who can appear from one angle like a clique of pale and misanthropic scholar-gatherers and from another like a sizable chunk of the human population, there exist no ghosts more vexing than a couple of women identified on three ultrarare records made in 1930 and ’31 as Elvie Thomas and Geeshie Wiley. There are musicians as obscure as Wiley and Thomas, and musicians as great, but in none does the Venn diagram of greatness and lostness reveal such vast and bewildering co-extent. In the spring of 1930, in a damp and dimly lit studio, in a small Wisconsin village on the western shore of Lake Michigan, the duo recorded a batch of songs that for more than half a century have been numbered among the masterpieces of prewar American music, in particular two, Elvie’s “Motherless Child Blues” and Geeshie’s “Last Kind Words Blues,” twin Alps of their tiny oeuvre, inspiring essays and novels and films and cover versions, a classical arrangement.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/13/magazine/blues.html?_r=1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is incorrect that playback speed of "Robert Johoson's CD" is. This song was recorded at speeds of 74~5 rpm, not 78rpm. So this song is Key of A, not Bb (B), and he had played this song by National Reso-Phonic guitar (tri-cone?), not Gibson.

Robert Johnson's recordings were apparently sped up past their original speed, raising the pitch aswell. Many listeners may have been listening to him at the incorrect pitch and speed. Listen for yourself. I personally think that this song sounds more natural at this pitch, and much bluesier giving a lot of credit to the story.

Robert Johnson's recordings were apparently sped up past their original speed, raising the pitch aswell. Many listeners may have been listening to him at the incorrect pitch and speed. Listen for yourself. I personally think that this song sounds more natural at this pitch, and much bluesier giving a lot of credit to the story.

Couldn't agree with you more, mate! In the recordings with the original speed, Robert Johnson sounds more like a bluesman and more importantly, sounds HUMAN!

You know, when I first heard the incorrect version of "Preaching Blues", I honestly thought that I was listening to an alien man singing and playing the guitar and it did creep me out a bit! :lol:

Apparently, the aim of increasing the speed of these 78's, was to make these recordings sound more "exciting"! :wtf: And some people on YT actually think that the recordings with the corrected speed, sound simply awful and are severely scolding all those poor souls who are taking the initiative to make sure that we all get to hear the great bluesman, as he was meant to be heard! Sheesh! :wacko:

http://youtu.be/MykGQ4SnWnM

Also, with the correct speed, I find it a lot easier to understand what the guy is actually singing about! B)

I really appreciated this YT user's efforts in bringing the REAL Robert Johnson, to all of us Blues fans: https://www.youtube.com/user/zimmyfan115/

B)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Thanks Kiwi! :wave: I knew there was someone on YouTube who reduced the speed on most of his stuff! Been listening all morning! You are right, it is definitely easier to understand his lyrics this way. These IMO are some that sound much better, more natural:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHeJbPP-Tkc&list=PL9vnEauZAaXCPMCjm246cgPkUPkMbLq04&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQKrYGSsJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQt1lpbevA&list=PL9vnEauZAaXCPMCjm246cgPkUPkMbLq04&index=3

Some of them sound too slow to me though! And some its hard to tell either way! Maybe some were originally sped-up, and some weren't? It's certainly an interesting debate, we'll probably never know for sure!

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

^^^^Absolutely, Sathington! While some of the recordings on which the speed has been "corrected", sound so heartfelt, bluesy and incredibly haunting, others do seem to be a bit of a drag! Did those jerks from the record company really speed up those 78's or did they just leave those beautiful recordings alone? This debate will probably rage on for decades! Possibly one of the greatest conspiracy theories in Blues music! :lol:

I can't help but feel a bit frustrated that we may never know for sure, given how important these recordings are in shaping the Blues! *Sigh! Oh well!

Anyway, right now, I am listening to "Malted Milk" with the "correct" speed - this is giving me goosebumps, man! :D

http://youtu.be/3-40Z17oz2s

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 2 weeks later...

another great bluesman, Howlin` Wolf I`m under the spell of Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jeffreson, Blind Willie McTell love the stuff these men having put out. I`ve been lucky in having there complete box sets really cool blues, add to them the blues of Charley Patton and I`m gone to heaven... most musicians having stolen from the greatest bluesmen adding there music into there own styles, I`ve only just discovered the blues music of Earl King, most people said there was only three KINGS, Albert/Freddie and BB. will I`m adding Earl King too!. I`ve just had to let someone now how much a bluesman Earl King is if you haven't heard is blues check him out...

• 2 weeks later...

another great bluesman, Howlin` Wolf I`m under the spell of Leadbelly, Blind Lemon Jeffreson, Blind Willie McTell love the stuff these men having put out. I`ve been lucky in having there complete box sets really cool blues, add to them the blues of Charley Patton and I`m gone to heaven... most musicians having stolen from the greatest bluesmen adding there music into there own styles, I`ve only just discovered the blues music of Earl King, most people said there was only three KINGS, Albert/Freddie and BB. will I`m adding Earl King too!. I`ve just had to let someone now how much a bluesman Earl King is if you haven't heard is blues check him out...

Freddie is my favorite King: