Blues Thread

eagle87

• 4 weeks later...

Hi :wave:

I have a question for all Son House fans out there and I hope someone can help me out!

I first discovered Son House thanks to the amazing and pretty voluminous Charley Patton box set compilation called "Complete Recordings 1929-34", wherein I discovered beauties like "Dry Spell Blues". :wub:

So anyway, I am going to purchase my very first Son House album on CD in a couple of weeks and I have narrowed my choices to 2 titles:

"Father of the Delta Blues : The Complete 1965 Sessions"

"The Complete Library of Congress Sessions : 1941-42"

So, my question is how do I decide which compilation to get?

Any input will be much appreciated!

Cheers! :beer:

***Edited for a typo

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Kiwi_Zep, if you prefer a cleaner and clearer sound, then go for the 1965 sessions. If you want to get a comp for its historical value and don't mind the sound being a bit rough, then go for the Library of Congress comp. BTW, the sound of Son House's various recordings on that Complete Recordings comp, left a lot to be desired, IMO. What was your take on the sound quality per se?

Edited by Emily008

Kiwi_Zep, if you prefer a cleaner and clearer sound, then go for the 1965 sessions. If you want to get a comp for its historical value and don't mind the sound being a bit rough, then go for the Library of Congress comp. BTW, the sound of Son House's various recordings on that Complete Recordings comp, left a lot to be desired, IMO. What was your take on the sound quality per se?

Well, from the sound quality, I could sense that those 78's were in pretty rough shape. But to be honest, I didn't really mind because this was Son House, for crying out loud! I know the guy barely recorded and to even get to hear these Blues gems, was definitely a stroke of luck!

Kiwi_Zep_Fan

Get 'em both , that way you wont regret not getting the other.

Hi Wally! :wave:

I am so tempted to get both comps! I am just nuts about Son House's music style! The only problem is with my budget! *Sigh! I've been literally driving myself nuts trying to narrow it down to just one compilation, but it is just close to impossible!!

But I guess I could splurge a bit (without feeling guilty) what with my birthday coming up in December :angel:

Cheers for the advice! :)

The following song happens to be the first Blues song to be ever recorded (the original year of recording was 1923 but this version below, is from 1927) and the artist (Sylvester Weaver) was the first to use a slide guitar! This instrumental is just so sublime! B)

Here's another by Sylvester Weaver. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but it is still awesome, IMHO!

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Anyway, apologies for going off topic. Allow me to make it up by posting these:

You weren't off topic. Little Walter n the Wolf are an excellent way to make up though. ;-)

Check out pizzamonsterdudes link . Is it me or does it sound like someones claened up the audio?

https://www.youtube.com/user/pizzamonsterdude/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...