Carouselambra Live question.

Pb Derigable

Carouselambra is probaly the song almost all zeppelin fans wished they played live. But how would they of done it. I know that Jonsey will be on the boards, but there seems to be alot of parts were jimmy is not playing or is just playing a backing track. would they redone the arrangement? Would Jimmy play some of they keyboards part on his guitar. How do you guys think they would of done it, because i can't imagine playing it live because it's all keyboards. Still the parts page has are so different what would he have used the Les paul, the double-neck or maybe the botswanna brown fender.

This is the only song where Page used the EDS - 1275 (the double neck, for those of you who don't know), so he'd presumably use that. Mostly he'd be playing the backing track, but I'm sure he'd add in a couple of solos here and there to counter Jonesy's playing. And I think Plant's vocals would be a lot more audible and coherent.

This is the only song where Page used the EDS - 1275 (the double neck, for those of you who don't know), so he'd presumably use that. Mostly he'd be playing the backing track, but I'm sure he'd add in a couple of solos here and there to counter Jonesy's playing. And I think Plant's vocals would be a lot more audible and coherent.

I thought they were audible, for the most part, on ITTOD. That song, partcularily. Weren't the lyrics to "Caroulselambra" on one of the sides of the inner record sleeve? You know, the side that you didn't have to dampen slightly with said sponge?

There's a lot of complicated bass parts there... how would that work?

Same as with Trampled or any other number of songs JPJ played the bass pedals with his keyboards. Which, likely, is what prevented them from even remotely trying to do this song (too tough with foot pedals).

They would have played like they played everything else.

Full intensity, great vision, compelling drama, sheer excitement, over the topness, sweat dripping, hand gesture, cock rock strutting, mouth gaping rock and roll.

Perhaps he could come up with a layout where he played some bass lines with his left hand because the bass does sound too complicated to play with pedals while the keyboard parts could possibly be faked with the right hand.....it would be a trade off or compromise but may work...?...

Perhaps he could come up with a layout where he played some bass lines with his left hand because the bass does sound too complicated to play with pedals while the keyboard parts could possibly be faked with the right hand.....it would be a trade off or compromise but may work...?...

I just learned to play Carouselambra, and the main keyboard part is only one-handed. JPJ could probably play the bass with his left hand.

They actually played a portion of it as Page / Plant - in the 95 or 98 tours. It was embedded as a medley in one of the songs. I can't remember which one - maybe In the Evening....but by then, Page/Plant had a far bigger backing band and could do a lot more.

I always felt that Plant's voice was deliberately mixed under the instruments for various reasons. A powerful song. Very Zep.

They actually played a portion of it as Page / Plant - in the 95 or 98 tours. It was embedded as a medley in one of the songs. I can't remember which one - maybe In the Evening....but by then, Page/Plant had a far bigger backing band and could do a lot more.

I always felt that Plant's voice was deliberately mixed under the instruments for various reasons. A powerful song. Very Zep.

Yeah, it was In The Evening.

I'm assuming he used the "EDS-1275" for effect not necessarily because he had to for the album. I would not have a single clue why he wouldn't overdub if he had to change guitars.

I'm assuming he used the "EDS-1275" for effect not necessarily because he had to for the album. I would not have a single clue why he wouldn't overdub if he had to change guitars.

Could be just for the sound......it may be the only electric twelve string he has (or uses)...?...

Could be just for the sound......it may be the only electric twelve string he has (or uses)...?...

No, he has a Fender Electric XII, which he used to record Stairway, and probably more of them. I dunno, maybe Page just felt like using the double neck...

No, he has a Fender Electric XII, which he used to record Stairway, and probably more of them. I dunno, maybe Page just felt like using the double neck...

...wow...he played ti on that?

I think I want one......oh well...

There've been interpretations of the lyrics that suggest Robert's dismay that Page and Jones turned a blind eye to Karac's tagic passing. "Where was your helping? Where was your bow?". It's pure conjecture, but entirely possible that after fences were mended the song's meaning was something the band wanted to leave behind, along with so many painful memories. That would be looking back into a dark place, when the band only wanted to move forward and onward.

i can't imagine playing it live because it's all keyboards.

All keyboards, apart from the awesome bassline you mean? If they were to have played it live, Id have wanted someone else to do the keyboards, and have JPJ right at the front, especially the first 2-3mins of the song, never heard a better bassline than that.

Same as with Trampled or any other number of songs JPJ played the bass pedals with his keyboards. Which, likely, is what prevented them from even remotely trying to do this song (too tough with foot pedals).

Ray Manzarek did it for the entire live career of the doors...I know Jonesy is just as capable...

Fences get mended, eventually (if you're friends). :beer:

I would just assume that Jimmy and Robert have so much respect for each other that they give each other the benefit of the doubt knowing they mean well.

I play bass, and always knew it was a good bass-line, but my attention always gets focused to-wards the keyboards and guitar. After listening only to the bass for the whole song. Mr. Baldwin would have done a great disservice to himself by not being on the bass. Maybe they got rid of the keyboards all together? If they played this song live with JPJ on Bass, John Entwhistle would've O.D. early.

Archived