The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

You know, that Islander team in the early 80's was as good a team as I've ever seen. Sadly, they've had a top end draft pick on many occations since then. I honestly hope that they use it wisely and put a good team together that will be a force in the years to come. You have to remember, this is a club that traded Luongo for next to nothing :o

Watched the Anaheim / San Jose game last night and the Ducks fully deserved to win. The Sharks looked nervous and Thorton and Marleau were again, MIA. They will need to get it together quickly or the Ducks will make this a very short series. Ryan Getzlaf was a monster for the Ducks last night. His goal was a thing of beauty

So Yukon, Lindy's coming back, I just heard. I think the GM is too, you must be happy. Funny how your coach will head the Canadian team and our coach will head the US team. Good luck to your coach :D

The battle of PA is pretty good, though the reff'ing was brutal tonight; Fleurry made some great saves tonight. Hurricanes tie it up, interesting; Brodeur seems to back on his game. GO CANUCKS! Luongo is unbelievable; he makes that team a serious dark horse, especially seeing as how the Sharks are doing their best disappearing act again in the post season.

Who do people place their bets on the finals?

So Yukon, Lindy's coming back, I just heard. I think the GM is too, you must be happy. Funny how your coach will head the Canadian team and our coach will head the US team. Good luck to your coach :D

The battle of PA is pretty good, though the reff'ing was brutal tonight; Fleurry made some great saves tonight. Hurricanes tie it up, interesting; Brodeur seems to back on his game. GO CANUCKS! Luongo is unbelievable; he makes that team a serious dark horse, especially seeing as how the Sharks are doing their best disappearing act again in the post season.

Who do people place their bets on the finals?

I'm still sticking with the Canucks to win the west. Boston in the east

i am very happy that Lindy will be back. There are some around here that don't agree but I know its the right choice. He will get us there next year. It was the smart move chosing Wislon and Ruff to head the US and Canadien teams. They are both great coach's. As for the West, it will be much tougher to beat Detroit than St Louis Ally. Good luck. I still say the Sharks come back to beat Anaheim. Only one game I just want to see Montreal and the Rangers get theirs. Philly is pretty much toast now.

It will be tough no matter who we play and I'm not taking St Louis for granted either. Playoff hockey is just so much different than the regular season.

San Jose could very well get it together but from what I saw in game 1 against the Ducks, they look like the same old Sharks. Personally, I would like to see them beat the Ducks but Thorton will have to start leading that team if they hope to advance. If he doesn't, they're toast

I'm glad the Sabres stuck with Lindy Ruff . Smart move that will pay off. B)

I agree Ally. Well with that thought, its time for me to pay another visit to my "friends" at the Buffalo News blog. :o They just love me there! Not. Because there are few clowns that thiing they know everything. One idiot even suggested trading Miller and keeping Lalime! Ha. What a moron. There was an arcticle on that kid Butler. They have high hopes in him and I do too. He scored a goal against Boston in the finale that looked Bobby Orr like. He will have some offense to his game. Love the kid. Peters and his wife took the kid in to their home. On another subject, how has Pyatt been? I feel terrible for him. Has he rejoined the team? If not, its certainly understandable.

No , Pyatts still on personal leave.

As for Butler, it's much tougher for a young defenceman to adapt to life in the NHL than it is for a forward. He will be a good one and I think Ruff showed just how good a coach he really is by sticking with the kid. It's a fine line between blowing a kids confidence and letting him learn from his mistakes but I think Ruff handled him beautifully. Especially after his first game in Calgary.

The night after we put up a 10 spot on Edmonton. I am a little surprised at the assistant coach's for team Canada. I wonder if Lindy picked them or someone else? Trotz (the only coach Nashville has ever had) and Tippett from Dallas. I dont understand Dallas. They were on a roll. Beat the Rangers 10-2 and then get knocked out of the playoffs for the first time in years. they fell apart. Too bad about Pyatt. I hope he gets through this. Very tough thing to deal with.

Well, Ruff has been named Team Canada's coach for the World Championships which will start while the NHL playoffs are on. Trotz and Tippett will be his assistants for that tourney only. I was under the impression that Ruff was selected to coach the Olympic Team but maybe I'm wrong about that. My bad if I was. Still think he'd be a great choice anyway's

First for Wanna be's comment. Was there any doubt Detroit would make short work of Colombus? No. they are happy to just make the playoffs this early in their existance. As for the Devils/Canes, I decided long ago that home ice means nothing in hockey. Or baseball. Basketball it means the world. Football, depends on weather and circumstances. Like a southern team having to play in Buffalo in sub zero weather when they have never done it. So I dont think home ice really matters and sometimes I actually believe teams play better on the road because they are more focused. They are in the hotel together and not going home to distractions. Like women and maybe in Montreal's case, the nose powder? As for the Montreal comment, yes they are fried. And good. Cant stand them.

About the only time home ice really means anything in the NHL playoffs is in a game 7 . Personally, I like starting away from home. Pick up a win on the road and turning the home ice situation around. It seems to have a huge negative effect on the team that loses that so called advantage

First for Wanna be's comment. Was there any doubt Detroit would make short work of Colombus? No. they are happy to just make the playoffs this early in their existance.
After watching Sportscenter, I've noticed that a few people actually thought we'd lsoe this round.

They cited the dominance of Steve Mason and the abilities of Rick Nash as main reasons, not to mention the fact that Osgood played shitty this year. Well...Nick Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski completely negated Nash and Mason is just a rookie with intense jitters right now so of course I knew we'd smoke them. Also, we in Detroit realize that Osgood usually ends a season pretty badly, but we literally go through this every year. "is Osgood going to be up to the playoff challenge?" Yes...he always is.

I don't see anyone stopping us whatsoever.

After watching Sportscenter, I've noticed that a few people actually thought we'd lsoe this round.

They cited the dominance of Steve Mason and the abilities of Rick Nash as main reasons, not to mention the fact that Osgood played shitty this year. Well...Nick Lidstrom and Brian Rafalski completely negated Nash and Mason is just a rookie with intense jitters right now so of course I knew we'd smoke them. Also, we in Detroit realize that Osgood usually ends a season pretty badly, but we literally go through this every year. "is Osgood going to be up to the playoff challenge?" Yes...he always is.

I don't see anyone stopping us whatsoever.

Well, you are the champs so whoever wins the cup, at some point they'll probably have to go through Detroit to get it.

Geez. No new posts from Ally or Rorer. They must be binge drinking? For differant reasons. Versus sucks. the morons on there suck. why the hell doesnt ESPN cover the NHL again? They were so quick to forgive baseball for their strike. Who the hell wants to watch an entire NBA game? Hockey is so much more fun to watch. Unreal. when will they wake up? :wakeup:

Not quite Yukon but now that I'm on holiday's...you never know :lol:

Had to work yesterday so I didn't actually see the Canucks game. As happy as I am to see us

up 3-0 in the series I have to say that the Blues have not been as easy as it may appear. Getting that series clincher is going to be tough.

Hey Wanna Be,

The Columbus Blue Jackets are not out of it yet!

They will be playing in Columbus tomorrow.

It will be an uphill battle, for sure, though.

My only pro hockey game was to a Blue Jackets game. My family was hosted in one of the luxury boxes, very posh. Excellent food. At that game, one of the Blue Jackets players scored a hat trick. Needless to say, I am spoiled as this experience can never be topped.

My family follows the Ohio State hockey team.

R. J. Umberger is a former OSU player, and was fantastic. I think that OSU went to the Frozen Four Tournament when he played. (The current OSU team sucked this year!) I think that he is the spark for the Blue Jackets, as well as Rick Nash.

Playoff Fever Grips Columbus

DSC01222.jpg

Note the small crowd at this Ohio State Hockey game that I attended this year.

Like I said, the team sucked.

Columbus simply doesn't have the depth or firepower to beat Detroit. Our defense is playing flawlessly and our entire team (defense included) is getting a lot of good looks at the net, which is especially great given the fact that Steve Mason has the playoff jitters all rookies get. Rick, their only real offensive threat, just can't penetrate the defense our forwards play.

All in all, I'm calling this series locked up. Bring out them brooms.

All I'm saying is that NHL teams who go up 2-0 in the playoffs win 87% of the time and the Blue Jackets haven't showed any signs of slowing the Red Wings down a bit

See you in the conference finals :D

Archived