The NHL Thread

wanna be drummer

Vancouver at Calgary tonight. It will be interesting to see how the Canucks look. They did better than I thought they would last year and they look a whole lot better on paper.

Back to you Ally

:mellow:

Well, I'm a couple of games late ) both losses :( ) in responding but to me they have a great chance of doing something big this year. However, as the first two games showed, they will have to work harder to meet my expectations :lol: . Still, I really do think the Canucks have a team that has all the ingredients. Mason Raymond was a player who I thought last year would turn out to be an unsung hero. That was obviously premature but with him having gained some physical strength and with the speed he already had, I look for him to be a leader this season. BTW, for those of you in a hockey pool, he 's someone you should think about drafting. I see him as a 25 goal man with the assists to boot :yesnod:

Wings lost their first game which made me mad since we have such a large Swedish presence on the team. Oh well. Fuck Paul Kariya. He hasnt been ood since his "Mighty Duck" years :rolleyes:

Gotta agree there. He still hasn't recovered from that Gary Sutor cross check to the face back in 2002.

The Wings will be there again. Not sure about the Hawks though.I can see them playing below their ability's . Kinda like a sophmore jinx. IMHO, I think Edmonton will be much better under Pat Quinn. They could be a big suprise in the west.

Columbus Blue Jackets 2 - Minnesota Wild 1

RJ Umberger scored a goal to win the game.

He is a former Ohio State player. The Buckeyes were great when he played, going to the NCAA Tournament each year. It is great that he is back in Columbus. We love him!

^ pretty happy with your team, eh? What's that like? My team's the biggest tease in the history of history. Somehow it works every damn time.

My team was a major embarrassment last year! :lol: I also watched them struggle and missed the playoffs four times between '99 and '03 (while nearly finishing last in the Conference). I definately know what it's like on the other side.

It's only the start of the season, with only eighty more games to go between the both of us. My Habs tanked the last few years after good starts, so I'm embracing this as long as they keep it up.

I see a lot of potnential in the Leafs, Ron Wilson has a great knack for developing young players and Burke's a very solid GM. He can turn around teams very well. They can be a very strong contender within the next couple years as long as they draft smart and don't trade away their young guys (speaking of Burke and Draft picks, the trade he made for Kessel? wtf?!). I think the Maple Leafs are a darkhorse this year if Kessel can make an impact on their scoring, Gustavsson starts out solid between the pipes and if Komisarek can stay out of that frickin' penalty box!

Gotta agree there. He still hasn't recovered from that Gary Sutor cross check to the face back in 2002.

The Wings will be there again. Not sure about the Hawks though.I can see them playing below their ability's . Kinda like a sophmore jinx. IMHO, I think Edmonton will be much better under Pat Quinn. They could be a big suprise in the west.

I like reading this very much! :D I love the team they have and if they work hard enough, they can be more than a suprise in the West. The close game against Calgary was something that I loved watching and I hope to see more of that from them this year.

Colorado's rookie, Matt Duchene, was insane on his first game. That kid has great determination. He might just be hard to beat for the Calder this year. B)

I like reading this very much! :D I love the team they have and if they work hard enough, they can be more than a suprise in the West. The close game against Calgary was something that I loved watching and I hope to see more of that from them this year.

Colorado's rookie, Matt Duchene, was insane on his first game. That kid has great determination. He might just be hard to beat for the Calder this year. B)

It's all early day's at the moment and some teams do get off to a slow start. The Canucks being one of them. However,what does seem to be consistant is the Edmonton / Calgary rivalry. I think old Pat Quinn has found a way to get under Brent Sutters skin. Those games will be fun to watch :D

• 2 weeks later...

My team was a major embarrassment last year! :lol: I also watched them struggle and missed the playoffs four times between '99 and '03 (while nearly finishing last in the Conference). I definately know what it's like on the other side.

It's only the start of the season, with only eighty more games to go between the both of us. My Habs tanked the last few years after good starts, so I'm embracing this as long as they keep it up.

I see a lot of potnential in the Leafs, Ron Wilson has a great knack for developing young players and Burke's a very solid GM. He can turn around teams very well. They can be a very strong contender within the next couple years as long as they draft smart and don't trade away their young guys (speaking of Burke and Draft picks, the trade he made for Kessel? wtf?!). I think the Maple Leafs are a darkhorse this year if Kessel can make an impact on their scoring, Gustavsson starts out solid between the pipes and if Komisarek can stay out of that frickin' penalty box!

Oh Puck, I was hoping by now I could find comfort in your words, but I'm...I'm just at a loss for words...lol If by darkhorse you mean one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse then I think you're on to something :(

Oh Puck, I was hoping by now I could find comfort in your words, but I'm...I'm just at a loss for words...lol If by darkhorse you mean one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse then I think you're on to something :(

What do you think of 'Old Furnace Face' now Patrycja?

:P

What do you think of 'Old Furnace Face' now Patrycja?

:P

LOL several faces came to mind - if you mean Quinn, I'm very happy for him in Edmonton. I hope they do really well. If you mean Burke, well, he put together a decent team, they're just not clicking. I fear Wilson is on thin ice. Hardy har har. B)

LOL several faces came to mind - if you mean Quinn, I'm very happy for him in Edmonton. I hope they do really well. If you mean Burke, well, he put together a decent team, they're just not clicking. I fear Wilson is on thin ice. Hardy har har. B)

Yeah, I was talking about Burke. lol... I've never liked him. He's just too miserable...

I think Wilson will hang around until after the Olympics .

Have a good day my friend.

:wave:

:lol::lol:

I saw a lot of potential when I watched them play Montreal at the beginning of the season, nearly fifty shots that lead to a loss in a very close ot game. After writing that since then, I feel like I was completely talking out of my ass. I should be the new cheerleader for Hockey Night in Canada (look out Grapes! :lol: )

I don't know what to say about their goaltending situation, it's quite a fiasco. Their D-men need to stay out of the box and here's to hoping that Kessel can turn things around when he's %100. :beer:

Let's not write the Leafs off just yet. Even though they haven't won a game yet, they looked pretty good against Vancouver and TBH, I thought we were lucky to come out of that game with the points. Nobody sujested that they would finish first in the east and win the cup this season. A playoff spot is not out of the question. It's early day's and I feel that they could still go on a role before Xmas. I'm more concerned with a Canuck team that is punching waY below it's ability at the moment. TBH, except for goaltending,

I didn't see much between the two teams on Sat. night.

Yeah, I was talking about Burke. lol... I've never liked him. He's just too miserable...

I think Wilson will hang around until after the Olympics .

Have a good day my friend.

:wave:

Hiya, Babs! :wave: Turns out it was a great night after all! Don't think I'll start planning the parade just yet, but it was a much improved effort (and, shall we say, 'generous' calls from the refs...nice that the breaks went for us for a change)

:lol::lol:

I saw a lot of potential when I watched them play Montreal at the beginning of the season, nearly fifty shots that lead to a loss in a very close ot game. After writing that since then, I feel like I was completely talking out of my ass. I should be the new cheerleader for Hockey Night in Canada (look out Grapes! :lol: )

I don't know what to say about their goaltending situation, it's quite a fiasco. Their D-men need to stay out of the box and here's to hoping that Kessel can turn things around when he's %100. :beer:

Yeah tonight was a game where everything seemed to go right. Even though we were down first again, the goalie made some huge saves to boost confidence. The Leafs were definitely playing as if they were scared to make mistakes, and that just leads to more mistakes. Toskala was terrible when he was in net, so this Monster kid has stepped in admirably. We were playing our 3rd string goalie for a few games there, too.

This game, along with a couple of periods here and there in previous games (including the Habs opener) showed the potential we have. A disciplined game and finally the Leafs got rewarded. :cheer:

Puck, are you rooting for Flames or Oilers? (in addition to the Habs, I mean)

Let's not write the Leafs off just yet. Even though they haven't won a game yet, they looked pretty good against Vancouver and TBH, I thought we were lucky to come out of that game with the points. Nobody sujested that they would finish first in the east and win the cup this season. A playoff spot is not out of the question. It's early day's and I feel that they could still go on a role before Xmas. I'm more concerned with a Canuck team that is punching waY below it's ability at the moment. TBH, except for goaltending,

I didn't see much between the two teams on Sat. night.

The playoffs will actually be difficult because of this start, Ally, but streaks happen to teams throughout a year. Remember when Ottawa started on that ridiculous winning streak and then squeaked into the playoffs (if that?) But the concern here was the manner in which the Leafs were losing. Very very shaky confidence, so after we got down a goal you could just see them unraveling. Tonight we got down again, but that Swedish giant of a goalie is very good and helped us stay in it. Makes SUCH a big difference when your defense men don't have to stand behind your goalie to make an extra save LOL. We did a lot of things right tonight, got some bad but beneficial calls, and good bounces.

So I definitely hear you about watching an underachieving team. Still, with Luongo (who I think is the best goalie in the NHL) you're never out of it.

Well the Leafs have finally won a game!! I think that this is a better team than what they have been showing. A few of those losses theY deserved a better result. The first win is in the books thanks to the monster, Kabi and Hagman.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Well the Leafs have finally won a game!! I think that this is a better team than what they have been showing. A few of those losses theY deserved a better result. The first win is in the books thanks to the monster, Kabi and Hagman.

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Leafs 6

Ducks 2

CONGRATULATIONS...I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT....GO LEAFS GO.. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

GO LEAFS GO!!!

Is this the worst start in their history? Things will pick up once Kessell is healthy enough to play.

Archived