Grateful Dead

Styrbjorn

That was after Pig Pen died. I met him one day in 1970.They were kind of trippy in those days.

I think it's safe to say they were "trippy" throughout their entire career. I just so happen to prefer the more acoustic based stuff. For fans of Workingman's Dead, American Beauty and Garcia's work with the New Riders of the Purple Sage and Old and In the Way, this album is also a great place to start:

album-reckoning.jpg

When this was released on CD it was missing one track from the vinyl edition ("Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie") but when it was re-released as part of the reissue campaign for the Beyond Description (1973-1989) box set in 2004 that cut was restored to the tracklisting along with several bonus cuts that came from the same shows as the original album.

• 3 months later...

The albums I most enjoy are American Beauty, Mars Hotel, Workingman's Dead, Reckoning, and the self titled album that has the song "Mama Tried." As for live albums, I like Europe '72 as well as Dead Set. I was lucky enough to see the band live. I caught two shows at the Boston Garden in 1993 and I saw an outdoor gig in Highgate, Vermont in 1994. There were about 100,000 of us there for that one. I also saw The Jerry Garcia Band around the same time here in Portland, Maine. Good times. Hardly any big acts come to Maine anymore because we lack an awesome concert venue. We usually have to go to Boston.

• 3 weeks later...

Vintage Grateful Dead from Playboy After Dark. I believe the story goes that everyone was dosed, save ol' Hugh himself.

Boy, that is just classic, what an era. Love the contrast between Hef's swingin' sixties cocktail party and these dirty hippies from California!

that footage of st stephen was cool to see and hear, its an example of how each band has their own brand/kind of heavy music...very interesting and also makes me think of zeppelin, because of how so many bands just tried too much to sound heavy...instead of playing and being themselves and being heavy with the vibe and sound. but when it comes to bands, i guess its about individuals too and how everyone is and works together and so forth.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Their open taping policy that's been in place for decades hasn't hurt them either. I don't know how sales of old Dead shows are but my guess is pretty good, they keep on releasing them. The Dick's Picks series was a success and I'm pretty sure the majority of that was from private taping sources.

Times do change but it's good to see bands adapting to the times.

Their open taping policy that's been in place for decades hasn't hurt them either. I don't know how sales of old Dead shows are but my guess is pretty good, they keep on releasing them. The Dick's Picks series was a success and I'm pretty sure the majority of that was from private taping sources.

Times do change but it's good to see bands adapting to the times.

I'm not a huge fan of all of the merchandising but if memory serves from reading the Bill Graham book (Bill Graham Presents), the Grateful Dead were among the first to start selling their own shirts so it's not like they're strangers to it.

Edited by Jahfin

This is the third of the four Grateful Dead shows I saw between 1989 and 1995 and one of my very favorites of the four. There were lots of highlights on this evening but two of them were covers, their sublime version of Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" and the Beatles' "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds", which came completely out of left field. The latter still sends shivers up and down my spine, just as it did on the night they played it.

Set 1

Jack Straw

Stagger Lee

Wang Dang Doodle

It Must Have Been The Roses

Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again

Tennessee Jed

Let It Grow

Set 2

Here Comes Sunshine

Playin' In The Band

Box Of Rain

Crazy Fingers

Drums

Space

Spanish Jam

Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad

Throwing Stones

Not Fade Away

Encore

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Edited by Jahfin

album-reckoning.jpg

When this was released on CD it was missing one track from the vinyl edition ("Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie") but when it was re-released as part of the reissue campaign for the Beyond Description (1973-1989) box set in 2004 that cut was restored to the tracklisting along with several bonus cuts that came from the same shows as the original album.

I've been listening to this non stop for the past several days. It's really outstanding on many levels, they were meant to play in an acoustic setting.

I've been listening to this non stop for the past several days. It's really outstanding on many levels, they were meant to play in an acoustic setting.

The Dead's acoustic songs is some of my very favorite stuff of theirs, especially Reckoning.

Now, for something completely different, the Dead performing on February 4, 1970 at the Family Dog in San Francisco (this performance is also available on DVD).

The Dead's acoustic songs is some of my very favorite stuff of theirs, especially Reckoning.

Now, for something completely different, the Dead performing on February 4, 1970 at the Family Dog in San Francisco (this performance is also available on DVD).

This is the day Janis died. She was Pig Pen's girl friend back in '67 and sang I Know You Rider with Big Brother.

Edited by chef free

• 2 months later...

From RollingStone.com:

Grateful Dead

'Touch of Grey' Live in 1989

On Thursday, April 19th, the

Grateful Dead Second Annual Meet-Up at the Movies 2012 will take fans down memory lane with a one-night in-theater concert event. The Meet-Up will feature a previously unreleased gig recorded July 18th, 1989 in Wisconsin's Alpine Valley Music Theatre. The two-and-a-half hour concert – which includes this rendition of their hit "Touch of Grey" – will be presented in its entirety along with a pre-show featuring previously unseen photos of the band.

This week also sees the release of a definitive 14-DVD box set entitled All the Years Combine: The DVD Collection. Featuring 12 complete concert films, the set includes The Grateful Dead Movie (1977), which was screened in theaters last year for the inaugural Meet-Up.

To watch the Grateful Dead's performance of "Touch of Grey" from Alpine Valley in 1989, click here.

Edited by Jahfin

• 3 months later...

I think this makes for compelling reading even if you're not a Grateful Dead fan. On the occasion of what would have been Jerry Garcia's 70th birthday tomorrow, James Jackson Toth of Wooden Wood waxes nostalgic on cassette recordings of Grateful Dead shows.

Boots In Transit: An Appreciation of the Dead On Cassette

Edited by Jahfin