Coverdale/Page

Cat

There's been momentum for a 20 year anniversary thing for the CP album for years. DC himself gained control of the "intellectual property" of the CP album after he took legal action against Geffen records in the mid 90's. Geffen refused to release the CP songs after David left Geffen in 1994. Years of legal fighting resolved itself in 1999 when DC was rewarded the "property".

Funny thing is...Page and Coverdale have remained quite close over the last 17 years and while another CP album will probably NEVER happen (that's my own speculation derived from quotes DC has made over the years) there are in the neighborhood of 5 to 7 unreleased tracks....video of the recording sessions and writing process...and countless bootlegs of the 7 shows they did in Japan. Enough to make an expanded and remastered edition quite attractive.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Very cool, thanks for posting!

I'd heard Saccharine but never heard Southern Comfort. I really like Jimmy's acoustic sound from those sessions...

Your welcome mstork....I wonder what else is in the vaults?!! :unsure:

The problem / criticism around the album was never around Jimmy Page - it was directed at David Coverdale. At his peak, Coverdale garnered ridicule for pouting in Whitesnake's videos as we all know - even as Robert Plant was reviving his own solo career ( and taking pot shots at Coverdale. )

To be honest and fair to Coverdale, I've never compared him to Plant. They are so different vocally - in terms of range and tone, that only idiots would compare them. With the perspective of time, many of us know where Zep's influences came from and no-one accuses them of being soundalikes.

Coverdale's great failing - and why he falls short of the greats - is his superficial lyric writing. The downfall of Coverdale-Page is that the lyrics lack the depth and ingenuity (and perhaps honesty) of what Robert Plant would have done. At worse, they're banal. But getting Jimmy off his butt to record something made the whole effort worthwhile. It's not going to go down in history...but so what.

With a couple of exceptions, there wasn't much wrong with the music on C/P. IMO it's the best post-Zep recording any LZ party's been involved in. Agree the problem was totally Coverdale - infantile lyrics and a busted voice. I saw Whitesnake a couple of yrs before that, and it was REALLY F*CKING PAINFUL to listen to Cov even then, so god knows what JP was thinking of hooking up with him. Shoulda got that bloke out of Kingdom Come, or even Michael White.

At least RP had the dignity to recognise when his voice was shot and adjusted his delivery accordingly.

The problem / criticism around the album was never around Jimmy Page - it was directed at David Coverdale. At his peak, Coverdale garnered ridicule for pouting in Whitesnake's videos as we all know - even as Robert Plant was reviving his own solo career ( and taking pot shots at Coverdale. )

To be honest and fair to Coverdale, I've never compared him to Plant. They are so different vocally - in terms of range and tone, that only idiots would compare them. With the perspective of time, many of us know where Zep's influences came from and no-one accuses them of being soundalikes.

Coverdale's great failing - and why he falls short of the greats - is his superficial lyric writing. The downfall of Coverdale-Page is that the lyrics lack the depth and ingenuity (and perhaps honesty) of what Robert Plant would have done. At worse, they're banal. But getting Jimmy off his butt to record something made the whole effort worthwhile. It's not going to go down in history...but so what.

Loved the album, loved both Coverdales and Pages input, to this day I still see nothing wrong with it. As much as I love Robert his lyrics were hardly the best either. I think DC's lyrics ok actually far better than his Whitesnake ones, although again his lyrics in Purple were pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

With a couple of exceptions, there wasn't much wrong with the music on C/P. IMO it's the best post-Zep recording any LZ party's been involved in. Agree the problem was totally Coverdale - infantile lyrics and a busted voice. I saw Whitesnake a couple of yrs before that, and it was REALLY F*CKING PAINFUL to listen to Cov even then, so god knows what JP was thinking of hooking up with him. Shoulda got that bloke out of Kingdom Come, or even Michael White.

At least RP had the dignity to recognise when his voice was shot and adjusted his delivery accordingly.

Saw Michael White open for April Wine last December, His voice is really shot after hearing his vocals at that show I'm 100% positive Steven Tyler would have been a big mistake for the 3-Jays because it was like listening to led Smith it sucked big time.

Saw Michael White open for April Wine last December, His voice is really shot after hearing his vocals at that show I'm 100% positive Steven Tyler would have been a big mistake for the 3-Jays because it was like listening to led Smith it sucked big time.

Too bad Jimmy never hooked up with the late great Ronnie James Dio. That could have been special.

• 7 months later...

COVERDALE PAGE - TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF

Love this album, this song to me could sit very nicely on "In through the Outdoor", maybe its the Chink chink of the guitar in the verse that reminds me of said album. Page on form and will say it again, what a shame they never toured past Japan, if they picked small venues , they would have got a crowd in, oh well few years later we were all watching P/P gigging.

Here is another from this and I would say is a bit of an underground classic.I do like the compression on the intro acoustic. Lets hope if Jimmy tours this year he will include of few off this album, which I magine he might.

"

" Edited by leddy

I bought C/P when it came out and was not disapointed in the least. And dang did it generate a buzz at the time, Shake my Tree, was for weeks on end the most requested song on the local rock stations. It always made me wonder why the proposed US tour seemed to be way to many months away (cant remember what month, but oct springs to mind) to capture the momentum produced by the album. I for sure was going to be there, but then nothing, zip and the whole thing just kinda drifted away into obscurity. Of course we know what happened after this. But as I posted elswehere, I ten to one would rather have heard a follow up to C/P than the unledded cd or WIC.

I bought C/P when it came out and was not disapointed in the least. And dang did it generate a buzz at the time, Shake my Tree, was for weeks on end the most requested song on the local rock stations. It always made me wonder why the proposed US tour seemed to be way to many months away (cant remember what month, but oct springs to mind) to capture the momentum produced by the album. I for sure was going to be there, but then nothing, zip and the whole thing just kinda drifted away into obscurity. Of course we know what happened after this. But as I posted elswehere, I ten to one would rather have heard a follow up to C/P than the unledded cd or WIC.

The first single, 'Pride And Joy', was released to US radio stations on February 9, 1993 and the album was released in March. A 45-date North American tour was to start in June, but prior to being announced was postponed until October. When it was announced the first week of August tickets to the initial dates were sold but the sales were sluggish and the tour was cancelled after about three weeks. Vince Neil of Motley Crue - having cut a solo album - was to have been the opening act.

In the end they only performed a brief 7 date tour of Japan in December, which I referred to in private conversation as "The Magnificent Seven", with the band in a starring role as oppressed artists pitted against Geffen Records.

:lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/

• 1 month later...

Bump....

David Coverdale & Jimmy Page - Feeling Hot (Tokyo 1993)

That was interesting to watch Deborah! I liked the musical intro. However, I consider that song to be the low point of his career.

On CD, it strikes me as a silly riff, bad guitar tone, embarrasing lyrics (the "whoah" break sounds like KISS to me). This song may have been what got Plant to do Unledded, to rescue Page from that musical path. I don't get the CP CD. 72 tracks used for what? Derivative, cheesy rock. I was hugely dissapointed in it. I thought of it as far, far beneath him. But hey, its music, it's all subjective.

Coverdale/Page is actually my favorite Post-Zepp album of original music.

I dunno' why people give David a hard time too. Yeah, 'course he sounds a bit like Plant but more or less every hard rock singer out there does.

The guy was in Deep Purple and Whitesnake! Although I'm not the biggest Whitesnake fan one the planet you have to admit Coverdale has turned himself into a household name, and is not just some silly Plant impersonator. Fair play to the guy!

Coverdale/Page is actually my favorite Post-Zepp album of original music.

I dunno' why people give David a hard time too. Yeah, 'course he sounds a bit like Plant but more or less every hard rock singer out there does.

The guy was in Deep Purple and Whitesnake! Although I'm not the biggest Whitesnake fan one the planet you have to admit Coverdale has turned himself into a household name, and is not just some silly Plant impersonator. Fair play to the guy!

I agree, I don't see him as a Plant impersonator either. He seems to have his own style, I don't get the comparisons. Although I really despise the album, I can see a couple of areas where there was potential IMO. That song Easy Does it has brutal lyrics, but Page is really atmospheric on that. For me, its the best thing on there. Most of it just seems lobotomized to me. Very black and white, no grey area. Quiet, loud. The drum sound is very obtrusive, and too upfront, like most commercial rock at the time. I think Little Mountain studios killed the art in drumming, gave it a templated sound. A good example of that is Prayer for the Dying.

I'm not into Whitesnake either, but I'd rather listen to Here I Go Again that any Coverdale/Page music.

"In the Still of the Night" lifted heavily from "Kashmir", I think that's where most of the criticism stems from. Most of Whitesnake's latter day output is little more than the kind of hair metal that used to make up the majority of MTV's playlist back in the day but some of their early work (especially circa Live...in the Heart Of The City) is really good. As far as Page's post-Zep material is concerned, I'll take Whatever Happened To Jugula? anyday over that Coverdale/Page record.