Coverdale/Page

Cat

"In the Still of the Night" lifted heavily from "Kashmir", I think that's where most of the criticism stems from. Most of Whitesnake's latter day output is little more than the kind of hair metal that used to make up the majority of MTV's playlist back in the day but some of their early work (especially circa Live...in the Heart Of The City) is really good. As far as Page's post-Zep material is concerned, I'll take Whatever Happened To Jugula? anyday over that Coverdale/Page record.

Hi Jahfin! I've never heard that one, but I know its been spoken of highly. Much as I found CP disheartening, I found things like The Window from the WIC sessions encouraging. The guitar is out there on that one! That's Page being weird, my favourite. To me, it's comparable to some of his work in The Firm.

Achilles Last Stand>Coverdale/Page

Agreed here. A very heavy song, with none of the associated stereotypes, unlike Coverdale Page.

I've seen many posts re. C/P being Page's best post Zep work. I don't see it. It's hard to get past what I see as the cheese factor. Absolution Blues starts as a total ripoff of In The Evening. That's so lame! Shake My Tree is from an unused Zep riff. I see why that is. To me, a silly riff with bad tone. The song also comes with over produced power chords, the kind of thing avoided by Page for many years. Take Me For a Little While sounds like a power ballad from a hair metal band to me.

Although I agree the album 100% is nowhere near as timeless as most of the Zeppelin catalouge. I think it's a bit unfair to describe the album as 'commercial' or 'cheesy'. I wasn't even born at the time that the album was released, but I'm pretty sure it would be very hard to try and find any out of this world rock music that was being released during that time. 93' was the height of 'Grunge' in the US. And in the UK it was all about the indie/britpop scene. And as far as the production, I think that if the album was produced in a way which Zeppelin albums where then Jimmy would have been slaughtered for it even more, and the whole 'Coverversion' thing would have had a lot more points to be backed up by.

I wouldn't say it's better than any Zeppelin album, although I see it coming quite close to ITTOD as in my opinion, that album is probably the Zepp album which hasn't stood the test as time as well as the others (for obvious reasons), although it does have some unbelievable tracks; Evening, Crawl, AOML & Carauselambra, I think some of the tracks aren't pretty throwaway, for instance FITR. Same could be said for a few tracks on C/P

IMO Coverdale/Page is Jimmy's best post Zeppelin work. Coverdale had the vocals to sing very low or high but yes, his lyrics haven't matured past the age of 17. The Page/Plant stuff was sluggish (especially Clarksdale) compared to Coverdale/Page. The product of two very different singers.

Edited by sixpense

Coverdale/Page is actually my favorite Post-Zepp album of original music.

I dunno' why people give David a hard time too. Yeah, 'course he sounds a bit like Plant but more or less every hard rock singer out there does.

The guy was in Deep Purple and Whitesnake! Although I'm not the biggest Whitesnake fan one the planet you have to admit Coverdale has turned himself into a household name, and is not just some silly Plant impersonator. Fair play to the guy!

Just quoting your post to say hi Luke!

I like the C/P union,if only shortlived.And there's many around the forums who are happy that it was.

I think it contains some good,heavy,stripped back guitar work by JP,who seems to have really cut loose and is enjoying himself on this one.I don't listen to DC to hear how close he does,or doesn't come to being Robert Plant,I just take the album on it's own merits.

Still got the official cassette too.

Although I agree the album 100% is nowhere near as timeless as most of the Zeppelin catalouge. I think it's a bit unfair to describe the album as 'commercial' or 'cheesy'. I wasn't even born at the time that the album was released, but I'm pretty sure it would be very hard to try and find any out of this world rock music that was being released during that time. 93' was the height of 'Grunge' in the US. And in the UK it was all about the indie/britpop scene. And as far as the production, I think that if the album was produced in a way which Zeppelin albums where then Jimmy would have been slaughtered for it even more, and the whole 'Coverversion' thing would have had a lot more points to be backed up by.

I wouldn't say it's better than any Zeppelin album, although I see it coming quite close to ITTOD as in my opinion, that album is probably the Zepp album which hasn't stood the test as time as well as the others (for obvious reasons), although it does have some unbelievable tracks; Evening, Crawl, AOML & Carauselambra, I think some of the tracks aren't pretty throwaway, for instance FITR. Same could be said for a few tracks on C/P

I think the commercial rock scene was overdone at that point, and the CP album seemed like overkill on that scene (to me). Even the hair metal bands had somewhat abandoned it. I found the grunge and Britpop to be way better music, new, and groovy. It wasn't stifled by heavy handed production like the CP album. I am surprised Page didn't want to pick up on that vital scene instead of the classic rock thing. Where I found it commercial is in the production, they went to Little Mountain in Vancouver, a very commercial studio of the day. It sounded like corporate rock to me. I found it cheesy in in song titles (Feeling Hot, Whisper a Prayer for the Dying, Shake My Tree). I also found Page's ideas cheesy. The guitar theme of Take Me For a Little While, the electric guitar entry in Pride and Joy that ripped off Dazed and Confused, and the lack of subtlety in the production are examples. I find his stiff playing cheesy as well. It's hard to see this as the same player that was on Satisfaction Guaranteed, such a relaxed, groove oriented song. He did find a groove on Don't Leave Me This Way, though, that was nice.

JPJ got it right at that time, he teamed up with Diamanda Galas. That had some great results.

I like most of the production on WIC. I know its a bit muddled, but I find that brought out more of the human element. The production on CP is too bright and obvious for me.

That's just me though. I'd like to enjoy the album, it's Page! I just don't, that's all.

I never expected Jimmy to come out in lumberjack garb to appease those expecting something " modern" from him in the early 90's. Coverdale/Page was something he applied himself to and worked hard on. It seems to create an open hostility that gives way to many not finding anything redeeming about this effort. I thought it was tight and well contructed and rocked hard. Which is what it was. Hard rock.

I'm not in the" Robert saved Jimmy from himself "camp. That's B.S.

Amen to that! Jimmy tried, for years, to get Robert to do a Zeppelin reunion and Robert wouldn't, which I have all the respect in the world for. The few times Zep did reunite were special because they were so rare... even if they themselves weren't as on as they could have been... see Live Aid/Atlantic's 40th... So Jimmy wanted to write, record and tour and he was approached w/ the idea of hooking up w/ David Coverdale. I still have the Westwood One interview w/ Redbeard where Jimmy said that when approached about Coverdale he thought to himself... 'Well, he is a damn fine singer...' So they met up in NYC and found a connection, a bond and decided to see if they could actually write anything.

They write Absolution Blues on day one and that had to be very exciting for both of them. Then it just took off. The album came out and was an instant success. I remember hearing Pride & Joy everywhere. Had they toured in say, May of that year, whilst the album was still hot and fresh, who knows, they might have been together for several albums. But the tour was delayed and eventually canceled and then Robert comes along w/ his offer.

You all know this... the point though is that the C/P album is a great album. Jimmy's playing isn't stiff... how anyone can listen to Shake My Tree, Absolution Blues, Pride & Joy, Easy Does It, Waiting On You or Don't Leave Me This Way and say he's stiff is just completely full of crap. It was the best representation of Jimmy as a song writer and guitarist since the Zeppelin days and most Zeppelin fans had their heads so far up Robert's ass that they wouldn't give Coverdale a chance. And that's a shame. A tour of America would have been amazing. We would have seen Jimmy playing new music w/ an energized band... instead he goes back to Robert and we get re-worked Zeppelin tunes.

Page/Plant was good... but we'd been there/done that. Coverdale offered something new w/ just a nod to the past, and that, to me, was far more exciting than playing through the Zep catalog minus JPJ and Bonzo.

I never expected Jimmy to come out in lumberjack garb to appease those expecting something " modern" from him in the early 90's. Coverdale/Page was something he applied himself to and worked hard on. It seems to create an open hostility that gives way to many not finding anything redeeming about this effort. I thought it was tight and well contructed and rocked hard. Which is what it was. Hard rock.

Hi Chicago, for me its not about trying to be modern, its about quality. I found the grunge and Britpop to be outstanding as a whole. I found hair/commercial metal/rock to be tired at that point. I can appreciate the effort it takes to put out an album, but to my ears, it sounded ridiculous, regardless of effort (with a couple of exceptions I have mentioned). I think if it was produced by Butch Vig (Nirvana),or Steve Albini (Pixies), it would have sounded a lot heavier, and much better.

I found it interesting that Plant approached Page for the Unledded soon after that. It looks a lot to me like he stepped in to get Page away from that area of music.

Amen to that! Jimmy tried, for years, to get Robert to do a Zeppelin reunion and Robert wouldn't, which I have all the respect in the world for. The few times Zep did reunite were special because they were so rare... even if they themselves weren't as on as they could have been... see Live Aid/Atlantic's 40th... So Jimmy wanted to write, record and tour and he was approached w/ the idea of hooking up w/ David Coverdale. I still have the Westwood One interview w/ Redbeard where Jimmy said that when approached about Coverdale he thought to himself... 'Well, he is a damn fine singer...' So they met up in NYC and found a connection, a bond and decided to see if they could actually write anything.

They write Absolution Blues on day one and that had to be very exciting for both of them. Then it just took off. The album came out and was an instant success. I remember hearing Pride & Joy everywhere. Had they toured in say, May of that year, whilst the album was still hot and fresh, who knows, they might have been together for several albums. But the tour was delayed and eventually canceled and then Robert comes along w/ his offer.

You all know this... the point though is that the C/P album is a great album. Jimmy's playing isn't stiff... how anyone can listen to Shake My Tree, Absolution Blues, Pride & Joy, Easy Does It, Waiting On You or Don't Leave Me This Way and say he's stiff is just completely full of crap. It was the best representation of Jimmy as a song writer and guitarist since the Zeppelin days and most Zeppelin fans had their heads so far up Robert's ass that they wouldn't give Coverdale a chance. And that's a shame. A tour of America would have been amazing. We would have seen Jimmy playing new music w/ an energized band... instead he goes back to Robert and we get re-worked Zeppelin tunes.

Page/Plant was good... but we'd been there/done that. Coverdale offered something new w/ just a nod to the past, and that, to me, was far more exciting than playing through the Zep catalog minus JPJ and Bonzo.

Personally speaking, I was a huge Coverdale fan in the late 70s and early 80s and often argued his case (even with Robert) but I don't like this album at all. Is that allowed? Or if I say I don't like it, does that mean I have a vendetta against Coverdale, or Jimmy, or have my head up Robert's ass? ( sounds uncomfortable).

It amazes me that when this album is discussed, people aren't actually allowed to just DISLIKE it without some apparent secret motive.

You've got it spot on mate! And definitely would have loved a US tour, maybe some more live footage would have made people appreciate it more

Personally speaking, I was a huge Coverdale fan in the late 70s and early 80s and often argued his case (even with Robert) but I don't like this album at all. Is that allowed? Or if I say I don't like it, does that mean I have a vendetta against Coverdale, or Jimmy, or have my head up Robert's ass? ( sounds uncomfortable).

It amazes me that when this album is discussed, people aren't actually allowed to just DISLIKE it without some apparent secret motive.

Well, reading through my post I don't believe you'll see me call you out. If you don't like it, fine. But I remember at the time many Zeppelin fans, like 98% of them, were dead set against it before they even heard a single note of music. And when the album came out they refused to listen to it because David Coverdale was singing and not Robert Plant. I find closed-minded people like that so sad because, in this instance, they missed out on a great album.

If you don't like it that is perfectly fine. It's your choice. I just think you're missing out on some amazing music. To each his own.

Personally, I liked the album when it was released. But a lot of it was too 80's like all those "Hair Bands" around. I think Jimmy's playing is great, but some of the material isn't. Jimmy does a lot of scaling on the guitar, which he incorporated with TSRTS and ALS as examples. He used a lot of unique techniques on the songs, but some of the material just wasn't there. Having a better collaborator on these songs might have helped. Although I think "Don't Leave Me This Way" is one of Jimmy's best solos...including his days with Led Zeppelin. He nailed this one! :guitar_mood:

Dr. Death,

THANK YOU! I couldn't have said it beter myself! Loved the Page/Coverdale collaboration (except the cover art). To this day it is my favorite post-LZ album and the one I listen to the most. It is what it is...fun, bluesy, hard rock..........ummmmm.....much like that "other" band Pagey was in!

I Find his playing very stiff on Shake My tree, a brutal song for my ears. The intro. riff sounds ridiculous to me, like Page is making fun of commercial metal or something. The riff on Prayer for the Dying is quite stiff as well, and kind of overly simple to me. I find his solos boring, not catchy. Take me for a little while has really cheesy, awful synth on it. It's like Page dropped his musical standards for that album.

That's my take on it. It's musical taste, purely subjective. Anyone who finds it to be a great album could have insights for an interesting comparison. There you go.

Personally I don't think either guy "saved" anyone from anything. Page was certainly at a crossroads but his playing on CP was inspiring and energetic. Plant was coming off a triumph in Fate of Nations but was said to feel strange about opening up for Lenny Kravitz on a European tour. You can argue that both guys benefitted from the reunion, I don't think one guy pulled the other out of a ditch.

"I Find his playing very stiff on Shake My tree, a brutal song for my ears. The intro. riff sounds ridiculous to me, like Page is making fun of commercial metal or something."

LMAO!!! Interesting that Robert (who "saved" Jimmy from humiliating himself with the Page/Coverdale project) found "Shake my Tree" so stiff, commercial and ridiculous that he sang it during the Page/Plant Tour 1995!!!

And we all know that if Robert feels uncomfortable about a song (one in particular) he WON'T do it! I Love the song, and apparently Robert did too - enough to include it on their song list for the tour!

And hearing them play it live was frickin' AWESOME!!!

"I Find his playing very stiff on Shake My tree, a brutal song for my ears. The intro. riff sounds ridiculous to me, like Page is making fun of commercial metal or something."

LMAO!!! Interesting that Robert (who "saved" Jimmy from humiliating himself with the Page/Coverdale project) found "Shake my Tree" so stiff, commercial and ridiculous that he sang it during the Page/Plant Tour 1995!!!

And we all know that if Robert feels uncomfortable about a song (one in particular) he WON'T do it! I Love the song, and apparently Robert did too - enough to include it on their song list for the tour!

And hearing them play it live was frickin' AWESOME!!!

You think it was Robert's choice?