Coverdale/Page

Cat

"I Find his playing very stiff on Shake My tree, a brutal song for my ears. The intro. riff sounds ridiculous to me, like Page is making fun of commercial metal or something."

LMAO!!! Interesting that Robert (who "saved" Jimmy from humiliating himself with the Page/Coverdale project) found "Shake my Tree" so stiff, commercial and ridiculous that he sang it during the Page/Plant Tour 1995!!!

And we all know that if Robert feels uncomfortable about a song (one in particular) he WON'T do it! I Love the song, and apparently Robert did too - enough to include it on their song list for the tour!

And hearing them play it live was frickin' AWESOME!!!

You think it was Robert's choice?

Well, Robert had the choice to say "No, that's a ridiculous, stiff, commercial song that that poser David Coverdale did. I won't embarrass myself singing that Jimmy."

He obviously didn't!

But I'm sure Jimmy FORCED him to sing it. And BTW, their setlist changed throughout that tour (and the subsequent one as well). That doesn't mean the song wasn't good to perform, maybe they just wanted to change things up a bit.

I had 3rd row tickets for that tour, and then it was cancelled!

Anyway, at the time I thought it was really Page's follow-up to Presence. But, after time has passed, I do find it to be a rather shallow effort from Jimmy. That's being compared to Outrider and P/P releases that bookend the disc. I enjoy some songs, but overall it doesn't stand the test of time as his well as some of his other post Zep works do. That's just my opinion.

I do find it to be a rather shallow effort from Jimmy.

I don't see it that way at all as the songs are arguably strong enough to have been presented as an all instrumental album, not to suggest that it was ever intended to be. Some of the lyrics are arguably shallow but it's only rock n roll.

I don't see it that way at all as the songs are arguably strong enough to have been presented as an all instrumental album, not to suggest that it was ever intended to be. Some of the lyrics are arguably shallow but it's only rock n roll.

Definitely the lyrics are, maybe that's what makes these songs not as enjoyable 17+years after the fact.

I was just comparing it to Outrider and the P/P efforts - which I personally enjoy much more after the years have passed.

Or, maybe that was just a drunk post as I was still having shots at 11:30 that night watching basketball! :blink::lol:

In line with (I think) Knebby's take on Shake My Tree in the setlist, I think Robert was just being respectful to Jimmy's choice there. They played calling To You, so I think he may have thought it proper to include something from CP, both their most recent efforts at the time.

In line with (I think) Knebby's take on Shake My Tree in the setlist, I think Robert was just being respectful to Jimmy's choice there. They played calling To You, so I think he may have thought it proper to include something from CP, both their most recent efforts at the time.

Keep in mind, too, that Jimmy said the Shake My Tree riff was something he first introduced to Bonzo, I think during the In Through The Out Door sessions. He said Bonzo was the only one who really got it. From that I'm guessing Robert had no lyric/melody ideas, so playing it during the first part of the first P/P tour was both a respectful way of playing something from Jimmy's most recent work and also, perhaps, a nod to the older days. I don't believe Robert really sang it w/ much enthusiasm to be honest. He probably HATED singing something that Coverdale wrote and Robert changed the lyrics in some places... and, to me, it sounded like he just wanted to get past that song and on to the next one.

Robert apparently doesn't care for Coverdale, which is fine if that's how he wants to be. But he could have at least gave the song the proper passion it needed as it was something Jimmy wrote. It would have been akin to Jimmy half-assing his way thru Calling To You and playing some butchered solo... which Jimmy would never do. He's just too professional that way.

Evidence below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvw_qcFlEA&feature=related

That sounds feasible Dr. Death, anout a nod to Zep with a song from a Zep demo, that's a nice thing to do.

Walter, I really like Outrider as well. For me, there's no comparison to the solos on each record. Listen to the solo on Wasting My Time, all strange and tormented with

what sounds like a slide to me, or Emerald Eyes, that solo is in the clouds! Page seemed to come from a much more artisitic place on Outrider.

Oddly, I found there to be more Jimmy Page in "Calling To You". The guitar on that was way more like something an inspired Jimmy Page would have produced that anything on CP.

That sounds feasible Dr. Death, anout a nod to Zep with a song from a Zep demo, that's a nice thing to do.

Walter, I really like Outrider as well. For me, there's no comparison to the solos on each record. Listen to the solo on Wasting My Time, all strange and tormented with

what sounds like a slide to me, or Emerald Eyes, that solo is in the clouds! Page seemed to come from a much more artisitic place on Outrider.

Oddly, I found there to be more Jimmy Page in "Calling To You". The guitar on that was way more like something an inspired Jimmy Page would have produced that anything on CP.

Speaking of Outrider, I think Hummingbird is one of his truly great solos that doesn't get mentioned a lot...

Speaking of Outrider, I think Hummingbird is one of his truly great solos that doesn't get mentioned a lot...

There's lots of character in that one. In press for CP, Jimmy seemed to belittle Outrider, I think he called it a glorified demo, delivered with condescension. That amazed me.

David Coverdale used to have an approach of his own as a singer back in the 1970's and early 1980's, but contrary to what you would have expected, he didn't mature - by the time he worked with Jimmy he seemed to have lost his style entirely. Really awful, and the lyrics are horrible. The reason why I still occasionally listen to the album is that Jimmy's work on it was excellent, and there are good songs on there. Shake My Tree and Easy Does It are actually great, but you can really hear that Jimmy was not working with people of the same calibre as the rest of Led Zeppelin.

David Coverdale used to have an approach of his own as a singer back in the 1970's and early 1980's, but contrary to what you would have expected, he didn't mature - by the time he worked with Jimmy he seemed to have lost his style entirely. Really awful, and the lyrics are horrible. The reason why I still occasionally listen to the album is that Jimmy's work on it was excellent, and there are good songs on there. Shake My Tree and Easy Does It are actually great, but you can really hear that Jimmy was not working with people of the same caliber as the rest of Led Zeppelin.

Agreed! But would also include " Don't Leave Me This Way". One of Jimmy's best solos ever as I've said earlier in this thread.

Edited by SuperDave

• 3 months later...

Not trying to dispute your claim as it's clearly your opinion, just curious as to whether or not you've ever heard this one?

Roy%2BHarper%2B%252B%2BJimmy%2BPage.jpg

Damn good point! By the way, Harper & Page's show in Cambridge on 7/28/1984 was a multi-cam pro-shoot.

Has anyone ever seen it? I sure would like to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM0gMGRkqcY&feature=related

Edited by snapper

Bump

Coverdale/Page - Pride And Joy

The bass player in the video, Ricky Phillips, played bass on only part of one song from the Coverdale/Page cd (and not Pride and Joy) and was heavily involved in the rehearsals; But a different bass player is on all of the tracks and their short tour of Japan. I'm guessing Phillips played bass on the original recording but a second bassist overdubbed new bass tracks for what reason I do not know but would like to find out why.

The bass player in the video, Ricky Phillips, played bass on only part of one song from the Coverdale/Page cd (and not Pride and Joy) and was heavily involved in the rehearsals; But a different bass player is on all of the tracks and their short tour of Japan. I'm guessing Phillips played bass on the original recording but a second bassist overdubbed new bass tracks for what reason I do not know but would like to find out why.

You may want to ask a certain party about that here as he may know. :wizard: