Coverdale/Page

Cat

Its a great album, Jimmy's playing was as good as ever. The riffs are funky and powerful the solo's are soaring but Coverdale ruins it for me. I really don't like his voice at all. If you had Robert singing all these songs it would have been far more enjoyable and memorable. To me watching Coverdale is like watching Rich Little do a bad impression of Robert Plant. He seems so pompous and conceited I just can't take it.

This should have been the project he did with Plant

Denny Carmassi provides the best drumming you will hear. Coverdale wrote some great lyrics and sang them with passion, and Page's playing was on par with Zeppelin. The project suffered because people blame David Coverdale for having a high raspy blues voice, as if ONLY Robert is allowed to sing in that manner. For the record, David and Robert don't sound anything like each other. Both great singers in there own style.

And clearly this sounds NOTHING like an 80's hair band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHM7pX4yU08

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMoyT_4mdUU

Many people are simply close minded which is fine

There's been quite a bit of talk about the crummy cover art. I actually like it very much, and the semi- Floydness of some of the inner sleeve images. My interpretation of the cover could be wrong, but to me it seems to symbolize two artist paths, crossing at right angles, but joining toward a common purpose: namely the collaborative album. On that basis it makes sense, because Coverdale and Page were on very different trajectories, and then it happened, out of nowhere.

There's been quite a bit of talk about the crummy cover art. I actually like it very much, and the semi- Floydness of some of the inner sleeve images. My interpretation of the cover could be wrong, but to me it seems to symbolize two artist paths, crossing at right angles, but joining toward a common purpose: namely the collaborative album. On that basis it makes sense, because Coverdale and Page were on very different trajectories, and then it happened, out of nowhere.

I've never liked the cover art for C/P album; it seems so dull and uninspired. The intertwined C & P that forms the Coverdale/Page logo and appears inside the cd booklet and on the tour merchandise would have been a much better choice.

That's absolutely correct. Two artists merging together to form one... that's what it means, and like you, I do like the cover art. And inside the CD with the Merge Sign in various places... that represents their music reaching people all over the world.

Man I was very influenced by Led Zeppelin and the solo works from the surviving members at the time Coverdale Page came out, I was heavily delving into Led Zeppelin at the time collecting bootlegs and I couldn't get enough of anything Zep or Zep members related. I was going to community college at that time.

So when the album network's world premiere of Coverdale-Page premiered on the radio I was absolutely there listening in my room, recording it on cassette. It was very, very exciting getting my first listen of those songs being introduced and discussed by Jimmy Page and David Coverdale themselves and I loved it. They had a guitar giveaway that you had to send out postcards for entries, and I sent out about 10 postcards. I didn't win, but in general you could say I was all over it. I listened to that cassette over and over and was excited about the music. I still have the original cassette.

I missed the first premiere on the radio of "Pride and Joy" on my local radio station, but I caught it the second time they played it, and I recorded that on cassette as well. I still have that original cassette also.

I also won a promotional copy of the cd before it was released from my local radio station. Like I said in general I was all over it man.

Anyone besides me listen to the A.N. World Premiere broadcast of Coverdale Page on the radio before it was released?

Edited by luvlz2

:goodpost: I would even say too 80's, even though it came out in 93 lol. Me and my friends used to have a good laugh at this album. Can't decide which is worse, this one or Outrider.

Bring on the angry comments dinosaurs! :rant:

Listen kid. Don't be coming around the old folks home and throwing marbles around. :dont::heartbreaker::black_eye::ahhh:

Edited by The Dark Lord

Anyone besides me listen to the A.N. World Premiere broadcast of Coverdale Page on the radio before it was released?

The air date for that program was March 11th 1993. Although I don't recall hearing it then, the following month I did obtain the show on original promotional reel to reel tapes (Matrix #NS3861) and cassettes (Matrix #5507) as sent to radio stations. I also acquired Westwood One's 'The Coverdale/Page Special' on two cds (Matrix #93-17) which originally aired the week of April 19th 1993.

Edited by SteveAJones

The air date for that program was March 11th 1993. Although I don't recall hearing it then, the following month I did obtain the show on original promotional reel to reel tapes (Matrix #NS3861) and cassettes (Matrix #5507) as sent to radio stations. I also acquired Westwood One's 'The Coverdale/Page Special' on two cds (Matrix #93-17) which originally aired the week of April 19th 1993.

Interestingly cool.

The 80's are over, move on! :shifty:

I'll take 80's rock and pop over most of what is being produced today. Indie rock doesn't do much for me. It's too twee and self-referential, imo. And don't even get me started on rap. Give me Tears For Fears or Journey.

I'll take 80's rock and pop over most of what is being produced today. Indie rock doesn't do much for me. It's too twee and self-referential, imo. And don't even get me started on rap. Give me Tears For Fears or Journey.

Well, I'd like help you to understand the flaw of your statement, but I'd hate to waste what little time I have left on this planet trying to develop your taste in music. Oh well. ;)

:blahblah:;)

:goodpost: I would even say too 80's, even though it came out in 93 lol. Me and my friends used to have a good laugh at this album. Can't decide which is worse, this one or Outrider.

Bring on the angry comments dinosaurs! :rant:

So what does that mean, too 80's or too 90's? Are you referring to production values of those eras or do you mean to imply all of the music of those two decades sucked. You know better than anyone the only time Primus mattered was the early 90's. Seems interesting you'd slag that era of music.

Coverdale/Page isn't bad but in general consists of weak material considering the caliber of the legends involved. I don't think they really inspired each other. It's not like anyone is clamoring for a reunion project from these two. And for me the CP songs are he weakest moments of the Plant & Page Shows. I do enjoy the CP show I have (1993-12-22 Nagoya) more than the album. Coverdale doing "Kashmir" and Page doing "Still of the Night". Strange but fun moments in rock & roll history.

So what does that mean, too 80's or too 90's? Are you referring to production values of those eras or do you mean to imply all of the music of those two decades sucked. You know better than anyone the only time Primus mattered was the early 90's. Seems interesting you'd slag that era of music.

Coverdale/Page isn't bad but in general consists of weak material considering the caliber of the legends involved. I don't think they really inspired each other. It's not like anyone is clamoring for a reunion project from these two. And for me the CP songs are he weakest moments of the Plant & Page Shows. I do enjoy the CP show I have (1993-12-22 Nagoya) more than the album. Coverdale doing "Kashmir" and Page doing "Still of the Night". Strange but fun moments in rock & roll history.

^Mostly 80's production values and general cheese. Nothing wrong with the 90's imo.

^Mostly 80's production values and general cheese. Nothing wrong with the 90's imo.

You can't get past the production values to enjoy "Emerald Eyes" or "Writes of Winter"? If you're really listening to the music you should be able to get past the production values of anything. Same concept as bootleg ears.

Maybe to the mainstream/general public... :bubble:

It's important to remember that production values represent and document the era in which they were used. It really is unfair to compare them to other eras. I guarantee that the values that you don't like will be in vogue again in the future. There was a time when the whole psychedelic era fell from vogue, and people scoffed at fuzz guitar and such, but now that era of music lives in perpetual infamy. Every era is what it is, and although you may not be fond of it, you should try to view it as a snapshot in time, and enjoy it for what it is. It really is unfair to compare the styles and values of one musical era against another era. It's a bit like blaming someone for aging and being less effective than a younger counterpart. These are things that are beyond control. Acceptance of era styles and values allows for albums like ITTOD to be loved as a documentary of its time. It was cutting edge when it came out, and as you know, I still love it. Same with Coverdale Page. I get the issues that you refer to, but I accept them, look deeper than the superficial, and move quickly toward appreciation of the prowess behind the music.

Okay, whipper snapper? :)

Edited by The Dark Lord

It's important to remember that production values represent and document the era in which they were used. It really is unfair to compare them to other eras. I guarantee that the values that you don't like will be in vogue again in the future. There was a time when the whole psychedelic era fell from vogue, and people scoffed at fuzz guitar and such, but now that era of music lives in perpetual infamy. Every era is what it is, and although you may not be fond of it, you should try to view it as a snapshot in time, and enjoy it for what it is. It really is unfair to compare the styles and values of one musical era against another era. It's a bit like blaming someone for aging and being less effective than a younger counterpart. These are things that are beyond control. Acceptance of era styles and values allows for albums like ITTOD to be loved as a documentary of its time. It was cutting edge when it came out, and as you know, I still love it. Same with Coverdale Page. I get the issues that you refer to, but I accept them, look deeper than the superficial, and move quickly toward appreciation of the prowess behind the music.

Okay, whipper snapper? :)

Fair enough, Mithrandir. :wizard: