Coverdale/Page

Cat

Coverdale is a cartoon, but he's such an unreconstructed, bravura cartoon that, at this point, I find myself actually quite liking the bloke!

Come on, his response to the criticism of his last album ('How dare you criticise me, dude, f*ck off back to your bedroom') was damn funny.

Someone said that 'Jimmy greatly enjoyed David Coverdale' and I can see just what they meant - I imagine Jimmy was amused more than once and found Coverdale good company.

When it comes down to it, Coverdale was primarily responsible for getting Tommy Bolin into Deep Purple (even if he had mistaken Jan Hammer's synth parts for Tommy's guitar!) and I love Tommy's playing - so if it wasn't for Coverdale, I'd probably never have heard Bolin.

I've got that to thank him for, if nowt else!

Edited by Brigante

4 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Say what you will about your opinions on Coverdale.  All I know is both Jimmy and Ritchie chose to use his talents...and I know who's opinion I value more!

I'm not saying he's not a good singer. Just that he's a bit of a twatt.

Edited by Flares

Besides all else, however Coverdale has acted/performed/sang, I think a lot of the time he isn't really  taking himself

seriously. I myself have mixed opinions of him, but I really have never heard him ever boasting whatsoever of

his musical prowess. I think Page liked him as well because he was supposedly a pretty funny guy, a barrel of laughs.

16 hours ago, Brigante said:

Coverdale is a cartoon, but he's such an unreconstructed, bravura cartoon that, at this point, I find myself actually quite liking the bloke!

Come on, his response to the criticism of his last album ('How dare you criticise me, dude, f*ck off back to your bedroom') was damn funny.

Someone said that 'Jimmy greatly enjoyed David Coverdale' and I can see just what they meant - I imagine Jimmy was amused more than once and found Coverdale good company.

When it comes down to it, Coverdale was primarily responsible for getting Tommy Bolin into Deep Purple (even if he had mistaken Jan Hammer's synth parts for Tommy's guitar!) and I love Tommy's playing - so if it wasn't for Coverdale, I'd probably never have heard Bolin.

I've got that to thank him for, if nowt else!

Agreed, Bolin was an amazing guitarist, sadly underappreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2016 at 2:04 PM, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

My favorite post Zeppelin material from Jimmy is Death Wish II. I really like his experimental approach to the music, and also the more rock oriented tracks. it's refreshing to hear.

I'll always have a soft spot for Outrider, so that's my 2nd favorite. 

The day that Outrider came out is one etched in my mind - I was very very excited about it and listened to it over and over and over again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Sometimes I think he should have done more with Coverdale. They had chemistry and it was Page's best playing since Zep finished.

If it hadn't been for the MTV Unledded project they probably would have done more. David has remained quite active to this day.

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

If it hadn't been for the MTV Unledded project they probably would have done more. David has remained quite active to this day.

That's a tough trade off for me On the one hand I got to see Page/Plant live in Tampa in 1998 and the show rocked with many Zeppelin tunes and Jimmy really kicking it on guitar But on the other hand Coverdale/Page is an album that has great repeat listen quality while I honestly cant remember the last time I've popped in Walking into Clarksdale, but its been years  Right now I'm leaning towards a follow up to C/P.

12 hours ago, SuperStatic said:

That's a tough trade off for me On the one hand I got to see Page/Plant live in Tampa in 1998 and the show rocked with many Zeppelin tunes and Jimmy really kicking it on guitar But on the other hand Coverdale/Page is an album that has great repeat listen quality while I honestly cant remember the last time I've popped in Walking into Clarksdale, but its been years  Right now I'm leaning towards a follow up to C/P.

I regularly listen to the Coverdale/Page album, while it's been probably 20 years or more since I've listened to The Firm or Outrider.  C/P definitely clicked, it's a pity they didn't follow through. 

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I regularly listen to the Coverdale/Page album, while it's been probably 20 years or more since I've listened to The Firm or Outrider.  C/P definitely clicked, it's a pity they didn't follow through. 

Have to concur. As much as I am very happy to have seen P&P in both 95' & 98', C&P could have really gone places. 

I am likely one of the few who prefer to keep Zeppelin in the past and never pined for a reunion. The reason being is I love to see musicians grow and move into new directions. Trying to recreate the past is just boring and lazy IMO and I for one have always been very glad Plant refused to reform LZ. As much as I love Plant I too have believed the only reason he did the Unledded & P/P stuff was because Jimmy was finally moving on, and, his fear of his career being stalled. This is unfortunate because Plat's girlfriend at the time was 100% correct that he should have stayed a solo act and moved forward (Alanna Myles) and let sleeping dogs lie. Too bad because if Jimmy regained his confidence with another foil such as Coverdale it could have made all the difference in his future. 

One of the aspects of Jimmy which is often overlooked is the herculean feat he performed in the Firm. Like them or hate them, Jimmy essentially completely re-invented his playing style in 1983 using the B-Bender in ways no rock guitarist (to my humble knowledge) had ever done before. Jimmy receives no credit for this and I just don't understand why. This phase is just as important as him picking up the bow and drawing it against the strings for the first time. Plus, playing a B-Bender in the fashion Jimmy did in the Firm is god damn difficult as hell. Those phrasings and progressions in conjunction with the B-Bender are very, very difficult yet little to no credit is given. I would have loved to see a fusion of his B-Bender style with his C/P style as I think it would have completely re-invented rock guitar.

Sadly, an opportunity missed.

20 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Looking back now I have to agree I would have preferred a follow up to Coverdale/Page just on a artistic note. Sure it was a thrill to see Jimmy and Robert rock out live, but ultimately that project ran out of fumes with pretty much a whisper after WIC was released. I've read that Jimmy tried to salvage it by going into the studio with Michael Lee and recorded the foundation for a potential follow up to WIC and of course Plant rejected it (I'll leave it to the imagination as to why "cough" To Zeppelinish maybe? "cough")

IMO Jimmy worked really well with Coverdale and I think they could have taken that project into a whole lot of areas since that album was such a good starting point. At least I don't see Coverdale getting cold feet and bailing with what appeared to be little notice to Jimmy. But I guess we'll never know

Edited by SuperStatic

20 hours ago, IpMan said:

One of the aspects of Jimmy which is often overlooked is the herculean feat he performed in the Firm. Like them or hate them, Jimmy essentially completely re-invented his playing style in 1983 using the B-Bender in ways no rock guitarist (to my humble knowledge) had ever done before. Jimmy receives no credit for this and I just don't understand why. This phase is just as important as him picking up the bow and drawing it against the strings for the first time. Plus, playing a B-Bender in the fashion Jimmy did in the Firm is god damn difficult as hell. Those phrasings and progressions in conjunction with the B-Bender are very, very difficult yet little to no credit is given. .

+1 well said 

On 9/10/2016 at 1:32 PM, IpMan said:

One of the aspects of Jimmy which is often overlooked is the herculean feat he performed in the Firm. Like them or hate them, Jimmy essentially completely re-invented his playing style in 1983 using the B-Bender in ways no rock guitarist (to my humble knowledge) had ever done before. Jimmy receives no credit for this and I just don't understand why. This phase is just as important as him picking up the bow and drawing it against the strings for the first time. Plus, playing a B-Bender in the fashion Jimmy did in the Firm is god damn difficult as hell. Those phrasings and progressions in conjunction with the B-Bender are very, very difficult yet little to no credit is given. I would have loved to see a fusion of his B-Bender style with his C/P style as I think it would have completely re-invented rock guitar.

Spot on. There's a great clip on youtube in 85? when Page is explaining the b-bender in a guitar world intv. 

He's half cut but it's interesting.

On 9/10/2016 at 1:32 AM, IpMan said:

Jimmy was using the B-Bender back with Zep during the 77 tour on Ten Years Gone, then on ITTOD with tracks like South Bound Suarez, Hot Dog and All My Love. I believe Jimmy selecting a very different type of rhythm section for the Firm as compared to Bonham and Jones was a conscious effort  for a radically different sound. (Jimmy was trying to get Pino Palladino (The Who and John Mayer) on bass instead of Franklin) He was trying to avoid the Zeppelin comparisons.

Jimmy has stated in interviews of the past that his playing style would change or evolve every year. I believe a significant part of that evolution was based on the players he was playing with.

10 hours ago, sixpense said:

Jimmy was using the B-Bender back with Zep during the 77 tour on Ten Years Gone, then on ITTOD with tracks like South Bound Suarez, Hot Dog and All My Love. I believe Jimmy selecting a very different type of rhythm section for the Firm as compared to Bonham and Jones was a conscious effort  for a radically different sound. (Jimmy was trying to get Pino Palladino (The Who and John Mayer) on bass instead of Franklin) He was trying to avoid the Zeppelin comparisons.

Jimmy has stated in interviews of the past that his playing style would change or evolve every year. I believe a significant part of that evolution was based on the players he was playing with.

Yes, he was but I would call his Zeppelin dalliance with the B-Bender just dabbling, he was no where near mastering the instrument like he had by 85', however he did some very interesting soloing during TYG on the 77' tour when he was semi-coherent and his solo on July 24th 79', especially the coda, was amazing.

Too bad the XYZ thing did not work out, I think Chris Squire would have been both an excellent foil as well as a measure of control for Page.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Too bad the XYZ thing did not work out, I think Chris Squire would have been both an excellent foil as well as a measure of control for Page.

I agree. I am not a big fan of the bass players Jimmy worked with post-Zeppelin; the bottom end of the bass vanished.