Coverdale/Page

Cat

Maybe David always viewed things purely as a business relationship? The nearest I think he ever came to being in an actual band was 1978 up until around 1982. After that it was Coverdale/Page. David has made a ton of money in the process so I guess it's all good to him I guess but who knows. I think in the long run people crave an actual band of people who get along and you have a sense of community from that. But all the power to him. We all have to make a living somehow in life.

Maybe David always viewed things purely as a business relationship? The nearest I think he ever came to being in an actual band was 1978 up until around 1982. After that it was Coverdale/Page. David has made a ton of money in the process so I guess it's all good to him I guess but who knows. I think in the long run people crave an actual band of people who get along and you have a sense of community from that. But all the power to him. We all have to make a living somehow in life.

Coverdale has not only survived but prospered in an extremely competitive business for over forty years. The man is doing something right even if it isn't to everyone 's taste.

Coverdale has not only survived but prospered in an extremely competitive business for over forty years. The man is doing something right even if it isn't to everyone 's taste.

Yes, He looked out for himself and damn everyone else.

Yes, Coverdale prospered, he's a hired hand ??? journeyman ?? Semi-genius self promoter ??? User of other musicians as

sub-contractors, and parasite of others' styles ?? That's probably most accurate. But I still think he actually has musical talent.

Many musicians who have talent go into styles and genres without good judgement.

....But I still think he actually has musical talent...

Of course Coverdale has talent. Deep Purple wouldn't have hired him otherwise. They were one of the major British rock bands during the early to mid Seventies.

Of course Coverdale has talent. Deep Purple wouldn't have hired him otherwise. They were one of the major British rock bands during the early to mid Seventies.

Deep Purple was huge in the early 70's during the 73-74 period I believe they were the worlds largest selling artist

• 2 weeks later...

Babysquid! You NAILED it for me, like Dark Lord did in the ITTOD thread. The CD starts with that deadly acoustic tone, so vile. No atmosphere. I hate Ovations, they sound like tinny banjos. Page has never looked as bad in terms of what was happening in music at the time. It was crazy how good the music was in 1993, and then the C/P CD came out to make the other music look even better. I still don't get it. Those drums....every hit sounds like a super cannon going off. Easy Does It is a great track until the drumming comes in. Its so grating, its mars the listening experience.

Yep I respect all who pointed out how Page's guitar army was back and there were some really good solos, etc.,. But for me even

when this album first came out, it was like something from the Island of lost toys from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. IMO

this album stands out very jarringly from the rest of Page's catalog.

David's promoting a new album and this generates clicks.

Off course this will generate clicks and maybe more Twitter-followers as well.

But...., one can hope right?

I know, there is next to no chance that Jimmy will come up with new stuff......

But I still can't help myself, thinking if there are other musicians who could give Jimmy that extra push/inspire him.

Who knows...., maybe David is the one to do it..........

Off course this will generate clicks and maybe more Twitter-followers as well.

But...., one can hope right?

I know, there is next to no chance that Jimmy will come up with new stuff......

But I still can't help myself, thinking if there are other musicians who could give Jimmy that extra push/inspire him.

Who knows...., maybe David is the one to do it..........

Though he has attended a few of David's gigs since 1993, Jimmy has never jammed with him. He has also declined to work with him in the past:

David Coverdale - Into The Light Interview (2000) (excerpt)

This album seems to have a little bit of both lyrically, is the lyrical content for Into The Light drawn on your current sort of reflection.

Completely, yeah. I mean, I had some of the musical elements of the album in place. For instance Riversong I've had a lot of the elements of that song for almost twenty years.

Really?

Yeah, but I never felt that I had the players to do it justice, to do it right. You know maybe one player here, two players there but never the full compliment. I actually presented the idea to Pagey and he said oh it's a bit too Hendrix for me.

Really?

Which I fully agreed with, its my tribute to Hendrix.

OK.

You know and I wrote the song over Christmas last year, the actual, lyrics. And, but yeah I think, anyway to go back to the technical aspect so yeah, I did actually embrace the old school of recording or traditional way of recording and then utilised pro-tools as well as the studio for mixing but from what I could see, there was really no difference. If I was the owner of a studio I'd be very concerned, you know. It may be necessary for me as yet I don't know, to go in there to do the drum tracks, you know. But for a guitarist now there's a fantastic line of equipment. I think it's a British company actually called Live Synch.

Right.

And they have a small amplifier with built in effects and actually a very friendly computer program called The Pod, where you can basically recreate amplifier images with a microphone that's six feet away.

This kind of stuff I would actually do in a studio, cause once I've finished drum tracks and base tracks then I'll line up, you name it every size of amplifier, small, small up until the real big stuff, you know.

And that's a couple of days to set that up. And then we can switch around and find out which sound is appropriate for the song.

Yeah, it's an old Page ploy. You know, Jimmy's an incredible sonic alchemist.

You know what I'm saying.

Yeah, for sure.

He definitely can take a pig's, you know, a pig's ear and make it into a silk purse.

Haha!

You know and I learnt an awful lot just working with him. I've been an admirer of Page for well, infinitely longer than Zeppelin.

He's amazing isn't he.

He is, and he's a doll and I'm going to call on him this weekend because I've just read that he's had to cancel altogether the Black Crowes tour so I think…

Yeah I heard that, that's too bad.

Well I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago and you know he thought he'd be back on the road in a couple of weeks and when he described his injury it sounded very familiar to something I've got in my back.

Right.

Which certainly is not a quick fix, you know. But you know he sounded, he still sounded positive and optimistic and, you know, and happy which its obviously thrown curve by the injury.

But he, you know, he's recharged and ready to go. He just has to get his health, anyway I'll call him this weekend, see how he's doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Coverdale recently said 'there's no need for me to work with Pagey again'', unless it was as a guest on a solo album where Jimmy also used several other guest singers 'like a Santana thing'.

Hmm.

While I agree with Steve that there probably isn't the demand for a Coverdale Page reissue, Jimmy appears to have several rehearsal tapes that could feasibly be used as extras should it ever happen.

Ricky Phillips said that the rehearsal versions 'of those songs, they're so live and huge and Zeppeliny and not as overproduced' as the final lp, but that the recordings of the rehearsals 'are safeguarded now'.

I'd take that to mean that they're in Jimmy's vaults.

As an aside, Ricky added that during the rehearsals there were several 'phone calls from John Entwhistle' and that 'they were trying to decide whether they were gonna put a supergroup together'!

Imagine Townsend's reaction to that...!

Coverdale recently said 'there's no need for me to work with Pagey again'', unless it was as a guest on a solo album where Jimmy also used several other guest singers 'like a Santana thing'.

Hmm.

While I agree with Steve that there probably isn't the demand for a Coverdale Page reissue, Jimmy appears to have several rehearsal tapes that could feasibly be used as extras should it ever happen.

Ricky Phillips said that the rehearsal versions 'of those songs, they're so live and huge and Zeppeliny and not as overproduced' as the final lp, but that the recordings of the rehearsals 'are safeguarded now'.

I'd take that to mean that they're in Jimmy's vaults.

As an aside, Ricky added that during the rehearsals there were several 'phone calls from John Entwhistle' and that 'they were trying to decide whether they were gonna put a supergroup together'!

Imagine Townsend's reaction to that...!

Almost all of Ricky Phillips' bass tracks were re-recorded by another bass player (for the official release) which to this day I have not heard why.

Edited by sixpense

Almost all of Ricky Phillips' bass tracks were re-recorded by another bass player (for the official release) which to this day I have not heard why.

I hate to post from memory, but isn't it the case that Phillips recorded the demos but was unavailable to record the album after they signed with Geffen? I suppose we could ask him directly via his website.

Edited by SteveAJones

I hate to post from memory, but isn't it the case that Phillips recorded the demos but was unavailable to record the album after they signed with Geffen? I suppose we could ask him directly via his website.

I believe the track "Easy Does It" has Phillip's bass in the first acoustic section and the rest is played by someone else. Ricky's website (not updated since 2006) had photos of him with Coverdale/Page in rehearsal. The fact that some of Phillip's bass work is on the official leads to speculation that the "Producers" were not happy with the result and overdubbed new bass tracks or maybe Ricky Phillips was only available for recording this one track and had other commitments. He was in Bad English (w/Neal Schon, Jonathon Cain and John Waite) but that group disbanded in 1991.

Ricky Phillips said he was 'never supposed to be the bassplayer', but was hired just to 'woodshed all this material'.

Which sounds like he was there to play bass while the songs were being knocked into shape, but wasn't intended to be part of the band.

Ricky also said that when they were at Little Mountain they were 'only going for drum tracks', so maybe his bass parts were only ever intended to be guides?

Ricky Phillips said he was 'never supposed to be the bassplayer', but was hired just to 'woodshed all this material'.

Which sounds like he was there to play bass while the songs were being knocked into shape, but wasn't intended to be part of the band.

Ricky also said that when they were at Little Mountain they were 'only going for drum tracks', so maybe his bass parts were only ever intended to be guides?

Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. Just for the record, ultimately they recorded more than drum tracks at Little Mountain. In October '91 for example, despite a fever of 102 degrees, Jimmy recorded the first take of the solo for 'Don't Leave Me This Way'. The first take is the one he chose for the album.

Cheers for that, Steve.

Totally bears out what you were saying in another thread, about Jimmy playing on emotion.

Going for a first take done in a 102 degree fever, because it has the best feel?

That's Jimmy, right there.

• 2 weeks later...

Read a strange thing by that A&R bloke, John Kalodner, who claims that Jimmy's playing on the Coverdale Page lp 'was kind of half-hearted' and that Jimmy 'did not invest much time in it'!

Ok, Kalodner was there and I wasn't, but that's not the impression I ever got - there's probably more guitars on CP than both Firm albums and Outrider combined!

He also said that Jimmy approached him in Argentina in 1994 and told him that Robert not only 'didn't like' the collaboration between Jimmy and Coverdale, he was actually 'offended' by it!

Kalodner says that Robert 'felt that David Coverdale was second rate' and blamed Kalodner for putting them together.

Such was the extent of Robert's nark, that Kalodner 'had to write an apology letter to him'!

Blimey...

Edited by Brigante