NEWS FLASHBACK: TSRTS RELEASED ON VHS & LASER DISC

SteveAJones

RECENT RELEASES

· JON PARELES // NEW YORK TIMES

Published: June 16, 1985

The Song Remains the Same Featuring Led Zeppelin; directed by Peter Clifton and Joe Massot, 1976 Warner Home Video 137 minutes. $39.98 Fast-forward controls were invented for productions like this video cassette, which is built around Led Zeppelin's 1973 concerts at Madison Square Garden.

Led Zeppelin's music is a cornerstone of hard rock. The band slowed down and blew up the phrases and dynamics of the blues to create music that made bombast seem emotionally wrenching - slow, noisy buildups. Onstage, stripped of the studio productions overseen by the guitarist Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin's blues roots become clearer; the songs revolve around the call-and-response between Mr. Plant's voice and Mr. Page's guitar.

But the definitive hard-rock band wasn't content just to film a concert. The live set is broken up with ''fantasy'' sequences that simply demonstrate the paucity of Led Zeppelin's visual imagination. The keyboardist John Paul Jones becomes a church organist; the drummer John Bonham plays a race-car driver and a jackhammer operator. Long before MTV, these images were already cliches.

Video cassettes are generally available in two formats, VHS and Beta. Some titles are also available on LaserVision video disks. Unless otherwise specified, prices cited are the manufacturer's suggested retail price for a VHS cassette.

RECENT RELEASES

· JON PARELES // NEW YORK TIMES

Published: June 16, 1985

The Song Remains the Same Featuring Led Zeppelin; directed by Peter Clifton and Joe Massot, 1976 Warner Home Video 137 minutes. $39.98 Fast-forward controls were invented for productions like this video cassette, which is built around Led Zeppelin's 1973 concerts at Madison Square Garden.

Led Zeppelin's music is a cornerstone of hard rock. The band slowed down and blew up the phrases and dynamics of the blues to create music that made bombast seem emotionally wrenching - slow, noisy buildups. Onstage, stripped of the studio productions overseen by the guitarist Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin's blues roots become clearer; the songs revolve around the call-and-response between Mr. Plant's voice and Mr. Page's guitar.

But the definitive hard-rock band wasn't content just to film a concert. The live set is broken up with ''fantasy'' sequences that simply demonstrate the paucity of Led Zeppelin's visual imagination. The keyboardist John Paul Jones becomes a church organist; the drummer John Bonham plays a race-car driver and a jackhammer operator. Long before MTV, these images were already cliches.

Video cassettes are generally available in two formats, VHS and Beta. Some titles are also available on LaserVision video disks. Unless otherwise specified, prices cited are the manufacturer's suggested retail price for a VHS cassette.

I remember the VHS version first being released in the large plastic box (like a lot of the Disney titles were released in). The price was $39.95. That was a lot of money back in the middle 80's. But it was Led Zeppelin!

I remember the VHS version first being released in the large plastic box (like a lot of the Disney titles were released in). The price was $39.95. That was a lot of money back in the middle 80's. But it was Led Zeppelin!

Your absolutely correct. I think the packaging changed to a cardboard slipcase about

two or three years later. You remember when cds were in those cardboard boxes? LOL

Who can forget the VHS vs BETAMAX debates that raged in the early 80s. Forget the

Cold War, that was a real battle, now just another footnote in history. Led Zeppelin is

solid rock no matter how they wrap it.

I still have it! :)

SRTSvid.jpg

It cost around £20 from Virgin Records. I was with my parents and I only had £8, so I had to beg them for the other £12.

Money well spent though, I used to watch it every day.

It cost around £20 from Virgin Records. I was with my parents and I only had £8, so I had to beg them for the other £12.

See, there's a LOT going on in just one copy of TSRTS on VHS! The kindness of Mom

and Dad, the value of a pound (or dollar). That chap on the cover, well he looks like

he has some wisdom to share with ya! Let the journey begin, it only takes a lifetime.

I remember the cover being different for the US release in that packaging...

I remeber the cover being different for the US release in that packaging...

I think the cover was put together in a hurry. Notice the tracklisting is for the soundtrack, not the movie.

I think the cover was put together in a hurry. Notice the tracklisting is for the soundtrack, not the movie.

I didn't realize that till you said so. I'll have to dig out the different variations I

have to see what I've got and if releases outside the UK are similarly titled. It's

true the cover changed when they went with a cardboard slipcase. There was

a kaleidescope photo of Page playing the double neck on the front. On the back

there was a color shot of Page & Plant performing. I've watched the film so many

times it gotten to where I can pinpoint in the film when the flashbulb goes off to

take that photo which appears on the back cover. That's one Ross Halfin can't

claim to have taken! :)

SRTSvid.jpg

I still have mine too, but mine has a different cover (the montage of Page w/ violin bow, the plane, the gangsters etc.) because it's the US release. I bought it in Oct 1984 & couldn't watch it right away because I didn't even have a VCR- I had to wait a couple of paychecks before I could afford one (and the one I got was just a 2 head player & not even a hi-fi one & it cost $350!!)

I still have mine too, but mine has a different cover (the montage of Page w/ violin bow, the plane, the gangsters etc.) because it's the US release. I bought it in Oct 1984 & couldn't watch it right away because I didn't even have a VCR- I had to wait a couple of paychecks before I could afford one (and the one I got was just a 2 head player & not even a hi-fi one & it cost $350!!)

Now that's a fan!

I can remember the first time I watched it, I was glad my parents weren't in the room when Peter Grant went on his rant about "selling fackin' pirate posters!" :D

Here's the back cover:

SRTSvid2.jpg

I can remember the first time I watched it, I was glad my parents weren't in the room when Peter Grant went on his rant about "selling fackin' pirate posters!" :D

That's too funny! 70s kids are often portrayed as crazed animals, but the truth is

millions were (quietly) watching TSRTS or listening to George Carlin albums in their rooms :D

• 2 weeks later...

SRTSvid.jpg

nice piece of memorabilia there!

I love technology...$40 for a VHS over 20 years ago...and I just got the remastered DVD for $13. B)

Archived