"Thank You" on BBC Sessions

Tunderfoot77

I love the live version of "Thank You", the last performance on the BBC Sessions! Jimmys' electric guitar solo as opposed to the record version's acoustic in this one is awesome as of course was John Paul Jones' keyboard playing!

Indeed a great version. For an even better solo check out the Thank You solo from Blueberry Hill 9-4-70. It's crazy good. :o

I am loving the South Hampton version, but my favourite has always been from the Orlando Civic Auditorium, 31/8/1971, which has the same BBC Sessions feel, and is run at a slower tempo, or it seems like it anyway, i also absolutely love the guitar solo, though im yet to hear a thank you solo that disappoints.

I am loving the South Hampton version, but my favourite has always been from the Orlando Civic Auditorium, 31/8/1971, which has the same BBC Sessions feel, and is run at a slower tempo, or it seems like it anyway, i also absolutely love the guitar solo, though im yet to hear a thank you solo that disappoints.

Totally agree. That Orlando show is fantastic all the way around, but Thank You certainly is a sizzling end to an amazing show. But without the organ solo in the BBC version, not fair to compare the two.

That's a great version also. They pretty much quit playing Thank You after 1971. They shouldn't have. It's a great song.

Actually, they played "Thank You" quite a bit all the way up to the last 1973 show in MSG.

True, but it was more something of an occasional bonus than a regular set piece. A couple years earlier, it was a major part of the show and Jonsey's showcase before No Quarter took over.

But of course you know that! ^_^

True, but it was more something of an occasional bonus than a regular set piece. A couple years earlier, it was a major part of the show and Jonsey's showcase before No Quarter took over.

But of course you know that! ^_^

:lol: Ya got me there!

Of course the 7-29-73 MSG show would be the last time Zep ever played it. <_<

Mostly in encores. They didn't play it regularly after 71. I think they maybe played it once after 73.

The three 1973 dates I can confirm are 6-3, 7-29 and 1-22.

I've never heard of them playing it after 1973. Too bad. The song was really growing into a monster. But as was pointed out earlier, they shifted Jonesy's keyboard prowess into No Quarter instead.

The three 1973 dates I can confirm are 6-3, 7-29 and 1-22.

I've never heard of them playing it after 1973. Too bad. The song was really growing into a monster. But as was pointed out earlier, they shifted Jonesy's keyboard prowess into No Quarter instead.

You might be right, I have so many boots that I may have confused one. I thought they played it once in 75. But I'm probably wrong.

• 1 month later...

I have to disagree, I think the BBC version was one of their worst versions, they seemed very uncertain about the start, Bonham comes in a bit rushed, the mood and dynamics seem a bit all over the place. Page sounds like he's lost his fluency in his solo. I'm not suprised this wasn't included in an official release.

My favourite version (of boots heard so far) is 22-12-72 Alexandra Palace, where the mellotron gets a work out instead of the Hammond. Takes the song up a level, you can hear the band feeding off the new sound of the mellotron, the end is an amazing haunting musical passage - a precursor to Kashmir perhaps?

I have to disagree, I think the BBC version was one of their worst versions, they seemed very uncertain about the start, Bonham comes in a bit rushed, the mood and dynamics seem a bit all over the place. Page sounds like he's lost his fluency in his solo. I'm not suprised this wasn't included in an official release.

My favourite version (of boots heard so far) is 22-12-72 Alexandra Palace, where the mellotron gets a work out instead of the Hammond. Takes the song up a level, you can hear the band feeding off the new sound of the mellotron, the end is an amazing haunting musical passage - a precursor to Kashmir perhaps?

What are you talking about? BBC Sessions is an official release!

And I gotta disagree completly with you. It was one of the best solo of Page. He's absolutely INTENSE. He's on bloody FIRE!

And Bonham's drumming is some of the best drumming recorded!

And I gotta disagree completly with you. It was one of the best solo of Page. He's absolutely INTENSE. He's on bloody FIRE!

But you forgot Mr. Plant, who manages to sing out of tune throughout most of the song.......Proving that he didn't actually even attempt to master the fine art of singng until his loss of range and other problems forced him to do so.

What are you talking about? BBC Sessions is an official release!

Hey Charles, Your comments had my head shaking and so I dug out a boot I had of the show and....

I was completely wrong!!!! (A lazy entry on my behalf - apologies to your blood pressure)

I hadn't heard this for a while (don't want to fork out $$$ for the official release when had so many versions of this so wasn't sure what was on the official release).

My confusion was over Communication Breakdown - it was the worst version I'd heard- mixed up the two encores after Whole Lotta Love.

A pretty tight version of Thank You, Page's playing is inspired, but I have heard more moving solos (eg Osaka 29/9/71)- on my version his delay effect muddy's up the clarity, don't know if this is fixed up on the official release. Bonham is just as you have said, tight and in complete control.Jones is in great form, but Plant is as Bong-Man suggested, a tad off colour.

Archived