• Rock and Roll
    • The Battle of Evermore
    • Stairway To Heaven
    • Misty Mountain Hop
    • Four Sticks
    • Going To California
    • When The Levee Breaks

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably the most difficult album for me to chose the best song, but i've decided to chose The Battle of Evermore (don't know why).

If there where more choices the list would be:

1. The Battle Of Evermore
  2. Rock And Roll
  3. Stairway To Heaven
  4. Misty Mountain Hop
  5. Black Dog

• 2 weeks later...

I like Stairway to Heaven. But I also really dig When the Levee Breaks. When I was in my last band called Engine Room. We did a split version of When the Levee Breaks.....than in the middle of it we would go write into In My Time of Dying. It worked like a charm because there both in the same key.....and have the slide-guitar in them!!!!

"Battle of Evermore" only 8 frickin' percent with my vote!That was the essence of the band to me...in the earlier days.

Edited to add:

Their brilliance was partly in having so many different facets, each one displaying a different essence, a different strength...no that I thought more about it, "Battle" was just one facet of the near-perfect diamond that was lz...

I like Stairway to Heaven. But I also really dig When the Levee Breaks. When I was in my last band called Engine Room. We did a split version of When the Levee Breaks.....than in the middle of it we would go write into In My Time of Dying. It worked like a charm because there both in the same key.....and have the slide-guitar in them!!!!

I'm pretty sure they aren't in the same key...the tuning is different according to all the books I've seen.

Tuning for Levee = E A C F A C or F A C F A C (I've seen both)

Tuning for Time of dying = E A E A C# E

I'm pretty sure they aren't in the same key...the tuning is different according to all the books I've seen.

Tuning for Levee = E A C F A C or F A C F A C (I've seen both)

Tuning for Time of dying = E A E A C# E

You're right. The way I did it was I used a decapo on the 2nd fret. Standard tuning. :)

Well i picked when the levee breaks just love the vibe always have.Its a hard choice and honestly 30 years ago i would have picked Stairway or 20 years ago maybe Black Dog a lot of air play makes my taste change dont get me wrong still love those songs but am ready for something new . Robert , Jimmy , John,Jason thats a hint.New would be good.Love you guys either way though

Archived