Your Favorite Page Guitar Solo

kidmoon

What's Your Favorite Page Guitar Solo?  

373 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Page Guitar Solo?

• Since I've Been Loving You
    • Black Dog
    • How Many More Times
    • The Lemon Song
    • Immigrant Song (HTWWW version)
    • Stairway To Heaven
    • Fool In The Rain
    • In The Evening
    • No Quarter
    • Heartbreaker
    • Whole Lotta Love
    • Other

I HAVE NO FREAKIN IDEA WHY DAZED AND CONFUSED WASNT UP THERE!THAT SOLO WAS EXELLENT FROM BEGGINNING TO END ESPECIALLY AT THE MADSISON SQUARE GARDEN.STAIRWAY IS MY S

ECCOND CHOICE,THEN HOW MANY MORE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEEN DAZED AND CONFUSED FOR SO LONG ITS NOT TRUE

Agreed!! I may or may not cry during the TSRTS version sometimes. :bagoverhead:

Agreed, again. :D I used to listen to this song and rewind back to the solo over and over again. I can't even explain why but I just love it soo much!

Oh and another one I love is Ten Years Gone-- another tear jerker. :'(

Oh, please don't feel :bagoverhead: over crying during the TSRTS version of STH! I have wept during that song! :bagoverhead: :bagoverhead: :bagoverhead: Because it always brings me to tears, I need to be in a certain place mentally in order to listen to it. Part of it is that the first time that I ever heard the song, STH, was when it was played live at the first Zep concert I attended. But. Even if I separate that from my feelings about the song, the emotion that Jimmy draws out of his instrument, touches me on a level that I have no words to explain.

I know what you mean about Jimmy's solo on The Rover - and, unlike you, I am not a musician/guitarist! I can't explain it either but I think that it has something to do with the deep, strong, emotions that Jimmy is able to make us feel with his playing.

Oh, please don't feel :bagoverhead: over crying during the TSRTS version of STH! I have wept during that song! :bagoverhead: :bagoverhead: :bagoverhead: Because it always brings me to tears, I need to be in a certain place mentally in order to listen to it. Part of it is that the first time that I ever heard the song, STH, was when it was played live at the first Zep concert I attended. But. Even if I separate that from my feelings about the song, the emotion that Jimmy draws out of his instrument, touches me on a level that I have no words to explain.

I know what you mean about Jimmy's solo on The Rover - and, unlike you, I am not a musician/guitarist! I can't explain it either but I think that it has something to do with the deep, strong, emotions that Jimmy is able to make us feel with his playing.

I wept when I heard that they played Stairway at the O2! I could just picture what it would be like to be there and hear Jimmy play the intro to that song... and it made me soo sad I wasn't there. :( You're soo lucky to have seen them in concert 'back in the day'... if I could go back in time and choose to do one thing, it would be go to a Zeppelin concert. But anyway yeah that song (Stairway) means a lot to me, if I hadn't discovered it I wouldn't have gotten into Led Zeppelin and I honestly think if I didn't get into Led Zeppelin I would be a totally different person! I agree, Stairway is not a song I can listen to if I'm not feeling a certain way. Its my favourite song in the whole world, but out of all Zep's songs its probably the one I've listened to the least! :lol:

The solo in The Rover is probably the only guitar solo ever that I actually sat down and learned how to play note for note. That says a lot because I do not have that kind of patience normally. :lol: You're right, for some reason Jimmy's playing can just bring up all these kinds of emotions, in such a way that I've never experienced with any other guitar player or musician.

Agreed!! I may or may not cry during the TSRTS version sometimes. :bagoverhead:

Agreed, again. :D I used to listen to this song and rewind back to the solo over and over again. I can't even explain why but I just love it soo much!

Oh and another one I love is Ten Years Gone-- another tear jerker. :'(

No need for :bagoverhead: songbird... I've actually wept listening to Stairway on TSRTS. As you say, not always, but boy when you feel it, it's amazing, and cathartic.

"Music from beyond music" as Robert said... other solos sound wonderful and are moving, or rockin', but that's the pinnacle for me. Start with Dazed right before, and it's better than going to church (temple, ashram, name your poison...) :)

Edited to thank MSG for sharing, too.

I wept when I heard that they played Stairway at the O2! I could just picture what it would be like to be there and hear Jimmy play the intro to that song... and it made me soo sad I wasn't there. :( You're soo lucky to have seen them in concert 'back in the day'... if I could go back in time and choose to do one thing, it would be go to a Zeppelin concert. But anyway yeah that song (Stairway) means a lot to me, if I hadn't discovered it I wouldn't have gotten into Led Zeppelin and I honestly think if I didn't get into Led Zeppelin I would be a totally different person! I agree, Stairway is not a song I can listen to if I'm not feeling a certain way. Its my favourite song in the whole world, but out of all Zep's songs its probably the one I've listened to the least! :lol:

The solo in The Rover is probably the only guitar solo ever that I actually sat down and learned how to play note for note. That says a lot because I do not have that kind of patience normally. :lol: You're right, for some reason Jimmy's playing can just bring up all these kinds of emotions, in such a way that I've never experienced with any other guitar player or musician.

Well, this should go under a "confessions" thread but I haven't listened to the O2 version of STH. :bagoverhead: Someone I know from back in the days of Zep told me that when she heard the O2 STH she broke down sobbing. :'( :'( :'( I have a feeling that it would have the same effect on me.

I think STH is a great intro to Zep because there are so many different moods and sounds within it. STH seems to contain quite a bit of what they can do, musically and emotionally.

You must have an incredible amount of patience! More than you give yourself credit for. I am not a musician but the guitar solo in The Rover sounds complex - not just the note for note part (which would be a challenge itself) but the way in which Jimmy plays those notes in order to achieve the level of passion that he does.

I abslutely love the solo from heartbreaker, its what made me want to play guitar to begin with, ironicly its actually kinda sloppy but it just fuckin wreaks of balls and attitude!! i just love it!! B)

Tough one this.

I chose SIBLY for the pure emotion of Jimmy's intro and chord structure given the context of the lyrics.

Others not on the list:

Thank You - is there a better acoustic solo?

Tangerine - enough said

Tea For One - another bluesy solo drenched with emotion, a most underrated song

would be awesome live.

Footnote: I read somewhere (Guitar World I think) that at that point in time Jimmy's favourite solo was Reelin' In The Years by Steely Dan.

Bingo. SIBLY wins hands down for me.

p.s. I thought that the song was "Do It Again" ?

I'm going to start a thread re: that topic.

My choice is between STH and SIBLY, but I love a beautiful solo in the context of a super great and heartfelt song.

Despite STH is a great song, it doesn't give me the same feelings and vibe as SIBLY.

Therefore, 100 % SIBLY : great song, passionate and "goosebumps" guitar solo. :wub:

I did a search, but didn't find this topic... What's your favorite Zeppelin guitar solo?

I tried to list the ones most memorable to me; there are several others I enjoy, but there's only so much room...

Since I've Been Loving You seems to stand out.

The "live" version of "SIBLY" from TSRTS is my favorite JP solo on film.

My fav studio version JP solo is "The Rover".

My fav JP solo as seen live, in person, is "Dazed And Confused" from the March 4, 1975 performance in Dallas, Texas in the Dallas Memorial Auditorium.

• 1 month later...

Other. I don't know why, but Jimmy's solo on I'm Gonna Crawl just makes me wanna weep, get drunk, then throw an ex-lover in through the out door. Or back door. Either way, it makes me wanna break down and cry.

:'(

Other. I don't know why, but Jimmy's solo on I'm Gonna Crawl just makes me wanna weep, get drunk, then throw an ex-lover in through the out door. Or back door. Either way, it makes me wanna break down and cry.

:'(

I love Heartbreaker... but I´m gonna crawl is one of his most touching solos...and you expressed it exactly. I have such similar feelings, when I´m listening to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I will agree that for live performances, you cant get much better than Since I've Been Loving You. This is the one song where Page could really talk to people through his guitar, and to be honest, sometimes when I listen to this I get a little teary eyed. There was definatley some emotions going on when this song was written, probably more so than any other song they have.

If some of you haven't yet, you should all listen to the version of SIBLY played on 1970.09.04 (a.k.a. On Blueberry Hill). This version is different from any other version I have ever heard - fu [ king immaculate.

The tuning on Page's guitar is just amazing. Its hard to describe until you hear it, and you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Other than the tuning, first part of the song is much the same as always as far as the guitar goes, but at the solo mark, something happens. Its as if a demon shows up and in a fit of rage flips over the proverbial table, and shit hits the fan. The solo is played very differently, fast and lashing at first, but its as if the solo is being attack, slowly cutting down the solo till it becomes a multitude of long and drawn out phrases, unlike the fast and short notes of later version. This version is like the group is casting somebody into the darkness of hell - so dark, muddy and utterly grungy. Its as if his guitar becomes posessed and Jimmy is performing an excorsism or something. His amps are running so close to full capacity it sounds like every note he hits is sending blasts of air so heavy that the only thing holding them to the stage had to have been the power cords. I'm not a guitar player, but Jesus H. Christ, THIS is what the guitar was meant to do.

Robert's vocals are just as unique for the whole song, even complete with alternate lyrics for the last verse, which although I don't favor them over the actual lyrics, really fit with this particular version - a god-damn banshee. At this point, Robert was still able to scream at the top of his lungs with unlimited resistance in his voice without it ever breaking up - and trust me, he does... for the entire 7 minutes. His voice for this performance probably does as much work in making it seem dark as pages murky solo.

A MUST LISTEN.

The first time I heard it, I was in utter dis-belief. Like "what in the FUCK is going on!?" I didn't need drugs (although, it only makes the song that much better), no, this version of SIBLY changed my life forever. Its like when I listen to it everything I though I knew that was good about music changes, the more I listen to it, the more I just sit there and stare off into the abyss.

Un-fu [ king-believable

sorry for my rant

Archived