Rap artists receiving awards

JethroTull

There's some variety under the 'Rap' genre that many don't hear or realize.

I personally like some of it....very little in the scheme of things, but the stuff that's good can be highly creative. And for that, if an award is given for Rap creativity...so be it. I think all awards are generally crap anyway.....occasionally something that IS good wins, but an award doesn't certify that.

For instance one of the BIGGEST, most popular Rap records in Dr. Dre, The Chronic. It's great ! :D

Saying this....99% of 'rap' to me is crap.

Am I wrong, but it appears that rap artists are especially taken with themselves for winning awards and receiving recognition at the Grammys and other award ceremonies. I wonder why? It really makes my skin crawl. Just trying to keep it real.

If you're thinking of Kanye West, don't judge rappers as a whole by those who act as he does. There are some good ones out there....Common comes to mind as does Public Enemy (old school rap).

I'm not a big rap fan....I like some stuff.....very, very little of it though. It's part of the mainstream now and it ain't going away any time soon. :)

Rap Artist the two dont work together for me .I know i will be branded a racist for this but i see no

connection between Rap / Hip Hop and Art or Artist . I hated Disco in the 70's but some of it was maybe Art no maybe not.LED ZEP RULES B) LED ZEP ROCKS :blink::D

Why shouldn't they win awards? Who are any of us to judge what's music and what's not and what is award-worthy and what isn't. And if by "taken with themselves" you mean proud or something.....why wouldn't they be proud? If I won an award for something I did, I'd be rather taken with myself too.

I don't care for rap myself, but I am no one to judge its artistic merits.

Am I wrong, but it appears that rap artists are especially taken with themselves for winning awards and receiving recognition at the Grammys and other award ceremonies. I wonder why? It really makes my skin crawl. Just trying to keep it real.

The same reason rap artists are enamored with shiny "grills" and sparkling rims on cars.

Added: Yes, stupidity transcends race. So, that should stave off all the nice people who have nothing better to do than try to start a scuffle with me.

You must be referring to Kanye West. That guy is so freaking arrogant. I can't stand him. I don't like his music either. There's definitely some good rap out there though and as others have practically said, not all rap artists are arrogant.

Why shouldn't they win awards? Who are any of us to judge what's music and what's not and what is award-worthy and what isn't. And if by "taken with themselves" you mean proud or something.....why wouldn't they be proud? If I won an award for something I did, I'd be rather taken with myself too.

I don't care for rap myself, but I am no one to judge its artistic merits.

It's been my experience at classic rock oriented boards such as this that a lot (not all) fans aren't very forward thinking. They want all new bands to sound like Zep and/or they're stuck in the past and refuse to accept any new music. They also don't seem to be very accepting of any type of music outside of rock n' roll even though the members of the group they admire know no boundaries when it comes to the artists they admire themselves or are willing to work with (such as Page with Puff Daddy and Plant with Portishead and Alison Krauss). The funny thing is, many of the criticisms they level at rap are the very same things that could be said about rock n' roll (the violence, the girls, the opulence). They forget that rock n' roll itself was once considered a fad, rock records were burned, banned, etc. because of it's perceived detriment to society at large.

There are a few hip-hop artists who are very talented: Mos Def, some of the guys from Wu-Tang, Dr. Dre, Kanye West (despite his personality), Outkast, etc.

Not all hip-hop artists covet a Grammy. Personally, I find it undesirable when any artist lusts after any award. I find it just as loathsome when any artist fancies (to such an extreme--an opulent extreme) material goods. That's just me. So my above statement reflects my disgust at--perhaps not the artistic side--but the personal side of those immodest artists.

And I imagine many people feel the same way. I thought that's what this thread was about.

It's been my experience on this board that some people just like picking pointless fights. Perhaps doing so makes them feel accomplished... Way to go! Consider this a virtual pat on the back to boost your self-esteem.

So, there aren't other artists from other genres that also lust after awards, it's only unique to rap?

Quoted from my above post: Personally, I find it undesirable when any artist lusts after any award. I find it just as loathsome when any artist fancies (to such an extreme--an opulent extreme) material goods. That's just me. So my above statement reflects my disgust at--perhaps not the artistic side--but the personal side of those immodest artists.

So, again, way to go!

Oh, you see, he's on a mission, that gentleman who posted the video... I'm his target -- it's his aim that's a little off.

You must have me mistaken for someone else. In a previous post you tried to state "what this thread is about", perhaps you need to take a good look at the first post again. That person has made racist remarks here before, this is yet another example.

That person has made racist remarks here before, this is yet another example.

I've seen examples of that, but it isn't entirely clear what he meant this time. I immediately thought of how upset Kanye West was when he didn't win a whole lot or any (I don't remember) MTV video music awards and how he pretty much threw a tantrum about it. I've never seen any artist do that before, it was pathetic.

Rap is a bit more competitive than any other genre. It's in the culture of the music. Think about the rap battles, where you try to beat someone else. It's a part of it. But that's fine with me. I'm not a big fan of rap, but I respect the fact that it does take some talent, regardless of what anyone says about it being talentless. I've had some people where you could just point at something like shoes and they'll start rapping about it, and it would sound good.

Point is, and I said this in the Foo Fighters thread, that it's all opinion, and you don't have to like it, that's cool, but one cannot simply say it sucks. I don't like the movie Titanic, but does it suck? Hardly...

I have never seen any rock stars driving fancy cars, ever. Or rock videos filled with them and lots of girls. That is all totally unique to rap.

What happened to that? Most people got sick and tired of that bullshit and moved onto big a better things.

Rap is going the way of Glam Metal. The mainstream music gets more over-blown. And crappier year after year.

Point is, and I said this in the Foo Fighters thread, that it's all opinion, and you don't have to like it, that's cool, but one cannot simply say it sucks. I don't like the movie Titanic, but does it suck? Hardly...

Well, I don't know about that. It sucked. Too much focus on the god-awfully boring relationship. The longest set of three hours in my life. As for the Foo Fighters, yeah, that's subjective.

Archived