lord of the rings and led zeppelin

hippylove

I recently started re-reading lord of the rings, right... (i know nerdy, right?) Anyway, i started analyzing the books as a led zeppelin fan point-of-view. And i came across many thins that seemed strangely familiar.. I already knew that the Misty Mountains are refered to in the song MIsty Mountain Hop. But in Ramble On, I heard Robert Plant singing about the deepest depths of Mordor, and Gollum snatchiing a girl (whom i think is a metaphor for the ONe ring) And i thought that was curious. I have a theory (well an incomplete theory) about the original publisher of the book which happens to be a Ballantine Books.

Nwo, i think Bonzo's sign may have some sort of connection with lord of the rings.. Now correct me if mi'm wrong, but isn't one of the possible theories behind his sign is Ballantine ale?? Coincidence?? i think not! MInd you, this is a half-assed theory. Can someone expand on this? Please explain if you can.

I recently started re-reading lord of the rings, right... (i know nerdy, right?) Anyway, i started analyzing the books as a led zeppelin fan point-of-view. And i came across many thins that seemed strangely familiar.. I already knew that the Misty Mountains are refered to in the song MIsty Mountain Hop. But in Ramble On, I heard Robert Plant singing about the deepest depths of Mordor, and Gollum snatchiing a girl (whom i think is a metaphor for the ONe ring) And i thought that was curious. I have a theory (well an incomplete theory) about the original publisher of the book which happens to be a Ballantine Books.

Nwo, i think Bonzo's sign may have some sort of connection with lord of the rings.. Now correct me if mi'm wrong, but isn't one of the possible theories behind his sign is Ballantine ale?? Coincidence?? i think not! MInd you, this is a half-assed theory. Can someone expand on this? Please explain if you can.

Robert Plant has claimed that no songs are actually about LoTR, and judging by lyrics, he used them more metaphorically.

Where ever Bonzo's symbol came from, it means the union of father/mother/child signifies their bond.

I don't know why Robert is always ashamed that he used LOTR reference, maybe he just doesn't like it as much anymore or something. But Misty Mountain Hop is pretty obvious since it's title is the Misty Mountains referred to in Tolkien's books. And MMH is a retelling of the Hobbit as well as a kid's LSD trip.

Battle of Evermore and Ramble On not only has direct quotes from the LOTRs books but they also use terms only in Tolkien's works. It's pretty obvious Plant did use some of those works in his songs.

The Ballantine brewery company was founded in 1840 in Newark, New Jersey, USA. Not Oxford. Oh, and on Ballantine's cans, the symbol is inverted. Must be some kind of Satanic backcanning!! :lol:

Sarcasm alert. :lol:

Anyway, I find it funny that no one talks about Jonesy's symbol, at least the fact that it appears on the spine of the King James Bible. Holy Trinity Batman! But that wouldn't fit the image of ol' Dark Zeppelin with Jimmy hanging upside down like a bat in some hotel room.

Hi all,

The Ballantine brewery company was founded in 1840 in Newark, New Jersey, USA. Not Oxford. Oh, and on Ballantine's cans, the symbol is inverted. Must be some kind of Satanic backcanning!! :lol:

Anyway, I find it funny that no one talks about Jonesy's symbol, at least the fact that it appears on the spine of the King James Bible. Holy Trinity Batman! But that wouldn't fit the image of ol' Dark Zeppelin with Jimmy hanging upside down like a bat in some hotel room.

:hysterical:

KB

jonesy is always ignored

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know why Robert is always ashamed that he used LOTR reference, maybe he just doesn't like it as much anymore or something.

Because Robert wants to be taken seriously, and doesn't want to be accused of his lyrics being attributed to other sources when they so obviously are (including his blues lyrics which are obvious paraphrasing from other people)

But I don't know what he's worried about, I mean it never hurt Kate Bush...I mean Wuthering Heights is a re-telling, in song, of the book...Wuthering Heights...

Because Robert wants to be taken seriously, and doesn't want to be accused of his lyrics being attributed to other sources when they so obviously are (including his blues lyrics which are obvious paraphrasing from other people)

But I don't know what he's worried about, I mean it never hurt Kate Bush...I mean Wuthering Heights is a re-telling, in song, of the book...Wuthering Heights...

I think that would be a little bit stupid to worry about. I mean some of the best songs he wrote are a bunch of funny songs are funny sex metaphors. I don't buy the wanting to take it seriously stuff.

I think that would be a little bit stupid to worry about. I mean some of the best songs he wrote are a bunch of funny songs are funny sex metaphors. I don't buy the wanting to take it seriously stuff.

So you think its a stupid thing to worry about that half of your lyrics came from other people's blues songs or Lord Of The Rings books?

Don't you think people bringing that up might annoy Robert because he'd like to downplay his sources? He is a bit of an ego-maniac you know

• 4 weeks later...

hi. I have recently started reading lord of the rings too since i figured out it had a connection with led zeppelin songs. your right about ramble on and misty mountain hop. there is also a song called battle of evermore on the fourth album that is about lord of the rings. and about Bonzos sign-I read in a rolling stones magazine one time that the three circles were the symbol of his favorite beer.I hope that that helps your theory.

Robert Plant has claimed that no songs are actually about LoTR,

Can you tell me where he claimed that? I have had more than one conversation with him where he has been totally open about the influence of Tolkein. It would be pretty hard to claim that Gollum was a reference to a bloke in midlands nightclub.

(Though actually, come to think of it......)

Can you tell me where he claimed that? I have had more than one conversation with him where he has been totally open about the influence of Tolkein. It would be pretty hard to claim that Gollum was a reference to a bloke in midlands nightclub.

you have had conversations with Robert Plant?

It would be pretty hard to claim that Gollum was a reference to a bloke in midlands nightclub.

I lived in Walsall for a few years ... during which time I met several people who bore more than a passing resemblance to Gollum :lol:

I lived in Walsall for a few years ... during which time I met several people who bore more than a passing resemblance to Gollum :lol:

:rolleyes: try Wolverhampton town centre - or any town centre nowadays , for that matter.

you can hardly find a street without a few gollums in chav uniform, usually begging for spare change.

:lol:

Does he also like walking in the park? :)

Archived