Stone Temple Pilots tone

ArmsofAtlas

I am wantin to get somethin close to Dean DeLeo's tone. A Vox AC30 will be too loud for purposes, so would an AC15 do the trick good enough, or will I need some sort of overdrive pedal to really hit the front end of the amp?

I really want a Vox, but I can't really go try one out. I know they aren't popular for their gain, but it's gonna be a #2 amp in my lineup, as I already have a Traynor Blue50 that I absolutely love, and I get plenty enough gain for the songs my band plays, and it lacks just a hair of nastiness, but really comes close to gettin a nice Tool sound, since I play several of their songs for my own enjoyment. It could prolly get even closer if I could really crank.

I am wantin to get somethin close to Dean DeLeo's tone. A Vox AC30 will be too loud for purposes, so would an AC15 do the trick good enough, or will I need some sort of overdrive pedal to really hit the front end of the amp?

I really want a Vox, but I can't really go try one out. I know they aren't popular for their gain, but it's gonna be a #2 amp in my lineup, as I already have a Traynor Blue50 that I absolutely love, and I get plenty enough gain for the songs my band plays, and it lacks just a hair of nastiness, but really comes close to gettin a nice Tool sound, since I play several of their songs for my own enjoyment. It could prolly get even closer if I could really crank.

I am a fan of his tone as well.

Maybe this article will offer a few nuggets of helpful info.

"Dean DeLeo’s live setup is a fairly simple, yet highly effective, system that allows the guitarist to hit the highlights of the many and varied tones heard on the Stone Temple Pilots’ studio recordings. Guitar signals get routed through a pedal board equipped with a Dave Friedman-modified Cry baby wah and a Boss CE-1 stereo chorus pedal. One of the CD-1’s stereo outputs feeds an S.I.B. [shit I Built, made by a friends of Dean's -Rik] Varidrive tube preamp, which is run into a Vox AC30 amp. (Dean has three AC30s onstage, but only one is actually used for any given show; the others are there as backups, and for visual effect.) The CE-1’s other output goes into Dean’s rack, which features a Demeter TGP-3 three-channel preamp, a Rocktron Intelliverb and a VHT Classic stereo tube power amp that runs 50 watts per side into two Marshall 4x12 cabinets. (Again, there are three cabinets, which sit beneath the three AC30s, but only two are actually used.)

"Essentially, this creates a nice chiming Vox sound along with a big crunchy Marshall sound," says DeLeo’s guitar tech Rich Mazzetta. "Hootsie [JimmyHuth], our front-of-house man, has four mics on the rig, and he can blend the signals from each of those mics. So, although it’s just Dean playing, it actually sounds like two guitar players. It’s a layered sound."

http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/chopdean.php

I am a fan of his tone as well.

Maybe this article will offer a few nuggets of helpful info.

"Dean DeLeo’s live setup is a fairly simple, yet highly effective, system that allows the guitarist to hit the highlights of the many and varied tones heard on the Stone Temple Pilots’ studio recordings. Guitar signals get routed through a pedal board equipped with a Dave Friedman-modified Cry baby wah and a Boss CE-1 stereo chorus pedal. One of the CD-1’s stereo outputs feeds an S.I.B. [shit I Built, made by a friends of Dean's -Rik] Varidrive tube preamp, which is run into a Vox AC30 amp. (Dean has three AC30s onstage, but only one is actually used for any given show; the others are there as backups, and for visual effect.) The CE-1’s other output goes into Dean’s rack, which features a Demeter TGP-3 three-channel preamp, a Rocktron Intelliverb and a VHT Classic stereo tube power amp that runs 50 watts per side into two Marshall 4x12 cabinets. (Again, there are three cabinets, which sit beneath the three AC30s, but only two are actually used.)

"Essentially, this creates a nice chiming Vox sound along with a big crunchy Marshall sound," says DeLeo’s guitar tech Rich Mazzetta. "Hootsie [JimmyHuth], our front-of-house man, has four mics on the rig, and he can blend the signals from each of those mics. So, although it’s just Dean playing, it actually sounds like two guitar players. It’s a layered sound."

http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/chopdean.php

Another ? about the AC30s... Are the Celestion Blues a must, or can I skimp a little and just get the Vox speakers?

Archived