Rarely mentioned Page guest spots

Honeydripper

You can also see "Jimmy & Roy Harper" doing some tracks off the "What ever Happened to"

pn Chan 4's the "Tube" i seem to remember, from 84/85. Both of them on the "Welsh Hillsides", out of thier Heads, think they may have had a drink aswell. Play a song called "Hang-man".

It originally aired on the BBC's Olde Grey Whistle Test on Nov 6th 1984. It runs 10 mins 30 secs and features Page & Roy Harper being interviewed in the Lake District by Mark Ellen. They also perform two songs acoustically, 'Same Old Rock' & 'Hangman' from their 'Whatever Happened to Jugula?' album.

Page is wearing a brown bomber jacket and sporting the scruffiest haircut in rock. Roy

Harper is only semi-lucid, saying things like "I'm a sparrow in the gutter" and bleating

Mark's name like a sheep. When Mark repeatedly presses Pagey on who is in his new band all Jimmy will respond is "me". This was a few months before the details of The Firm were leaked. Probably one of my all-time favorite Page interview clips.

It originally aired on the BBC's Olde Grey Whistle Test on Nov 6th 1984. It runs 10 mins 30 secs and features Page & Roy Harper being interviewed in the Lake District by Mark Ellen. They also perform two songs acoustically, 'Same Old Rock' & 'Hangman' from their 'Whatever Happened to Jugula?' album.

Page is wearing a brown bomber jacket and sporting the scruffiest haircut in rock. Roy

Harper is only semi-lucid, saying things like "I'm a sparrow in the gutter" and bleating

Mark's name like a sheep. When Mark repeatedly presses Pagey on who is in his new band all Jimmy will respond is "me". This was a few months before the details of The Firm were leaked. Probably one of my all-time favorite Page interview clips.

Oh I love that footage - Harper & Page lost in space! :D

Seriously though, I think it's one of my favourite TV moments for either Roy or Jimmy.

In fact I can vividly recall seeing it on original transmission & wondering what the hell was going on - classic! :thumbsup:

Another one of my personal cherished moments.........Jimmy Page onstage w/ The Beach Boys, 4 of July 1985 on the National Mall in Washington DC. I went down to the mall the night before, knowing just how big the crowds get and wanted to have a good spot. Two friends and I sat on a blanket all night playing cards/drinking beer/smoking weed under the stage worklights as the stage/sound/ lighting riggers were at work. The day had many acts...some good, some bad......But it was a Party that's for sure. The estimated crowd(done by capitol park police helicopters) by 4 pm was around 750,000 people!!!!I was literally pinned to the security fence just to the right of the center of the stage. As the Beach Boys were about to come on, I saw a helocopter fly right over the stage and it hoovered there for a sec before landing backstage. I could clearly See Jimmy in it. That's when the jitters started. I looked back towards the crowd and what I saw is still unbelievable to me. The biggest crowd I've ever witnessed and probably ever will......throwing empty beer cans in the air all at the same time. Looked to be something someone started and it spread. It was like neverending sea of popcorn!! Just plain madness! :P It was a big night from the start as on this 4th, was the return of Brian on stage w/ the Boys for the first time in quite a while. He was shakey as hell! The Beach Boys did their usual fun stuff and when dusk hit they started bringing out guests for a big end all jam. Joan Jett, Christopher Cross, and get this .....Mr T sat in on one of the drum kits!!!...and of course Jimmy Page. (That's right folks, Jimmy Jammed with Mr T. Don't believe me? I'll put up some vid captures fool! :P Jimmy Played on Surfing USA and Barbara Ann.

here's my original flyer

img0026sv0.jpg

and here are some screen captures from the show.

vlcsnap729196hq3.png

vlcsnap732786ne4.png

vlcsnap729735jg6.png

vlcsnap731094gj3.png

Another one of my personal cherished moments.........Jimmy Page onstage w/ The Beach Boys, 4 of July 1985 on the National Mall in Washington DC. (edit)

Honeydripper's every word is true!

Here's a few more details from that day in Jimmy's life; look at the crowd sizes:

Jimmy joined The Beach Boys for their "From Sea to Shining Sea" telecast. He played an unrehearsed rendition of 'Lucille'…1,500,000 in attendance.

Jimmy boarded the Beach Boys bus enroute to the airport for the helo flight into Washington. Upon arrival, Jimmy joined the Beach Boys for unrehearsed renditions of 'Surfin' USA' and 'Barbara Ann'. 750,000 in attendance.

Afterward in D.C. Jimmy was interviewed backstage by 'MTV' and NBC's 'Entertainment Tonight'.

Honeydripper's every word is true!

Here's a few more details from that day in Jimmy's life; look at the crowd sizes:

Jimmy joined The Beach Boys for their "From Sea to Shining Sea" telecast. He played an unrehearsed rendition of 'Lucille'…1,500,000 in attendance.

Jimmy boarded the Beach Boys bus enroute to the airport for the helo flight into Washington. Upon arrival, Jimmy joined the Beach Boys for unrehearsed renditions of 'Surfin' USA' and 'Barbara Ann'. 750,000 in attendance.

Afterward in D.C. Jimmy was interviewed backstage by 'MTV' and NBC's 'Entertainment Tonight'.

I know you know Steve, but just to add for the others....on the 4th there are two shows the BB do on the same day...1 in Philly which is the early set....then the big one in DC. for the national fireworks that start right with their last note played,

here's some screen caps from the earlier Philly show while playing Lucille.

vlcsnap768454qa7.png

vlcsnap768213lo5.png

I thought that Lucille, Surfin' USA and Barbara Ann (and Fun Fun Fun?) were all from the Philly show? Then he accompanied the band to Washington where he sat in on Help Me Rhonda. I think.

By the way, Barbara Ann was officially released on a Beach Boys album called Fourth Of July - A Rockin' Celebration Of America.

I thought that Lucille, Surfin' USA and Barbara Ann (and Fun Fun Fun?) were all from the Philly show? Then he accompanied the band to Washington where he sat in on Help Me Rhonda. I think.

By the way, Barbara Ann was officially released on a Beach Boys album called Fourth Of July - A Rockin' Celebration Of America.

Nope, they are as Steve listed. The caps I put up are from vids I have of both performances. Lucille in Philly, then Surfin USA/Barbara Ann in DC..which I witnessed from 20 ft away.

Nope, they are as Steve listed. The caps I put up are from vids I have of both performances. Lucille in Philly, then Surfin USA/Barbara Ann in DC..which I witnessed from 20 ft away.

I'm going from my notes; haven't watched my dvd-r of the telecast for years. If my

notes are correct that's great. I didn't know one track was released. Pretty bold to

do that seeing as it was unrehearsed.

In sticking w/ Page's guest spots on other people's stages......

we know he joined Bad Co for a show at the Rainbow Dec 16th 74..(w/ JPJ)

He played on stage w/ Carlos Santana in Frankfurt Germany when the two tours crossed paths. It was the Festhalle, Frankfurt, Germany, the song..."Shake Your Money Maker," July 1, - 1980.

Then Yes with Jimmy on stage, Dortmund, 6/24/84

Then came the Roy Harper shows of 84 on 5/21, 7/29, 11/24...and probably others I am missing

He then joined Jaco Pastorius sometime in 84-85 to close a set in a 21 min long jam where Jimmy rips for like 10 min. (I'm thinking it was in New York in early 85)

Then the Beach Boys thing mentioned above on July 4th 85

Then Jimmy played w/ Safe Sex on 8/4/86, San Antonio, Ibiza, Spain

Jimmy w/ Bon Jovi Jan 10th 1990 (???) a recording exists but I've never heard it.

Then w/ Aerosmith on 8/18 and 8/20 of 1990

Then this one really baffles me.....he joined a band called Solid Ground on 5/29/91, Cristal Bay Club, Reno, Nevada. (IMO some of the shittiest music I've heard him ever play along with......I'm sure some 60's sessions have it beat, but we'll never know :P )

oh, yeah....and the Puff Daddy thing.

Steve or swandown....are there any others I am missing.......or do any of you have any stories that go with them...as far as the more obsure ones...Yes, Jaco, Solid Ground, Bon Jovi????

In sticking w/ Page's guest spots on other people's stages......

Steve or swandown....are there any others I am missing.......or do any of you have any stories that go with them...as far as the more obsure ones...Yes, Jaco, Solid Ground, Bon Jovi????

Wow. I sure do, but there's only 24 hours in a day so I'll just respond to yours above:

The jam with Santana was actually at Jahrhunderthalle, which is on the West side outskirts of

Frankfurt. It came about because Carlos had attended Led Zeppelin's gig at Festhalle the night prior and invited Jimmy to join him during his gig.

The Jam sesion with Yes occured at the Westfallenhalle during their second encore on a traditional rendition of The Beatles 'I'm Down'.

The Harper/Page gigs promoted their album collaboration as opposed to being a jam or a guest

appearance:

May 6th 1984 Page joined Harper for the annual May Tree Fair event in Thetford, England.

May 1984

Studio sessions for their 'Whatever Happened to Jugula?' album were held at Roy's 24-track studio called Boilerhouse which he set up in the basement of the St. Ives Hotel in Lytham St. Annes, England, not far from Blackpool. They used Nik Green, bassist Tony Franklin, and various drummers including Steve Broughton. The St. Ives was owned by Tony Beck, Roy's old school chum.

May 21st 1984 Page made a guest appearance with Roy Harper (his son Nick Harper on keyboards and a drum machine).

July 28th 1984 Page joined Roy Harper's band (Nick Green, Tony Franklin on bass and Steve Broughton on drums) for an afternoon and evening performance.

July 29th 1984 Page joined Roy Harper again for a performance at Battersea Park in London.

October 30th 1985 Twenty minute jam with Jaco Pastorius at Lone Star Cafe in New York City.

I show the Ibiza jam as having occured a year earlier on August 4th 1985 at Heartbreak Hotel. I can substantiate that by saying Jimmy had gone to Ibiza on holiday with Chris Squire of Yes. Jason was in Ibiza at the same time to record tracks for Virginia Wolf's debut album. Anyway, billed as Safe Sex, Page jammed with bassist Phil Carson and Jason Bonham. A Spanish language magazine I have from this same summer helps to confirm the correct date.

Later that month, August 28th 1985, Page joined Opus, Jason Bonham, Chris Squire of Yes, and vocalist Mick Thompson for a 50 minute blues jam at the annual Sun Power Festival in Ibiza.

The January 10th 1990 Bon Jovi jam was held at Hammersmith Odeon in London. A Music Therapy benefit concert; Page joined them during their encore for 'Train Kept A Rollin' & "With A Little Help From My Friends'. He had also soundchecked both songs with them. There is

pro-shot video of this event in a Bon Jovi tour documentary which was commercially released.

August 18th 1990 Jimmy travelled to the Donington Festival with Joe Perry and Steven Tyler aboard Aerosmith's tour bus. He gave an interview backstage to Radio One's Mick Wall, watched the Aerosmith performance from side stage and joined them during their encore for 'Train Kept A Rollin.

August 20th 1990 Page joined Aerosmith at The Marquee Club for their soundcheck. During the gig he joined them for a pre-encore jam on 'Ain't Got You', 'Think About It', 'Red House' (brief power outage prior to Page solo) 'Immigrant Song', and 'Train Kept A Rollin'. I obtained private film of the soundcheck from an Aerosmith road crew member. It's fairly awesome. I also have MTV Europe newsclips of Donington and Marquee Club Aerosmith gigs with Page.

The jam with bar band Solid Ground occured at the Crystal Bay Club in Crystal Bay, Nevada on Highway 28 which runs along Lake Tahoe. This was an 80 minute impromptu jam session.

That jam was only two weeks after Page & Coverdale jammed with Poison during their encore at University of Nevada - Lawlor Events Center at 1664 Virginia Street in Reno, Nevada back on May 9th 1991. They performed 'Rock And Roll', 'The Rover', and 'Stairway To Heaven'. No sooner

had Jimmy taken the stage he accidentally fell into a photographer's pit.

Imagine the headlines: Jimmy Page killed performing with David Coverdale! The fact is, they were spending lots of time together recording demos at David's home in nearby Incline Village, Nevada for what would become the Coverdale/Page album.

Like I say, I could sit here all night and add more that I've documented or aware of. Perhaps I can make a single post pertaining to those at a later time.

As you inquire I shall respond with anything I can tell you concerning those events.

ok, any more info you have on the Jaco show? Of course every solid musician on the pro scene knows of Jaco......... as being one of the world's most proficient bassists....and IMO Page during his post Zep yrs would/should have been literally shaking in his boots to get onstage w/ Jaco. A real ballsy move on Page's part. An early 70's Page would have had Jaco's ears perk up, no doubt, but Page was not there physically or mentally anymore, so......... What brought them together? .............China white? :P

ok, any more info you have on the Jaco show? Of course every solid musician on the pro scene knows of Jaco......... as being one of the world's most proficient bassists....and IMO Page during his post Zep yrs would/should have been literally shaking in his boots to get onstage w/ Jaco. A real ballsy move on Page's part. An early 70's Page would have had Jaco's ears perk up, no doubt, but Page was not there physically or mentally anymore, so......... What brought them together? .............China white? :P

So far as I know it was simply a case of right place at the right time before returning to England. Jimmy had been in New York for various promotional duties concerning The Firm. They had filmed their promotional video for 'Radioactive' just three weeks prior on October 12th.

No sooner did Jimmy fly home he was to be found November 2nd in Waltham St. Lawrence, Berkshire, England at the Neville Hall on Milley Road to play a Blues 'n' Booze charity gig with

J. Coghlan, M. Ralphs, M. Moody, plus A. Powell (Wishbone Ash) P. Moraz (Moody Blues).

Edit: I think you, Swandown & I are the only ones who even care. Everyone just wants ringtones.

Putting on my nerd glasses for a moment......

May 6th 1984 Page joined Harper for the annual May Tree Fair event in Thetford, England.

Other sources list this as the Kenley Fayre on May 20th. Or were there 2 separate events?

May 1984

Studio sessions for their 'Whatever Happened to Jugula?' album

I thought the album was released in March 1984?

Putting on my nerd glasses for a moment......

Other sources list this as the Kenley Fayre on May 20th. Or were there 2 separate events?

I thought the album was released in March 1984?

I'll see what I can come up with. Kenley may well have been a separate event, as the Tree Fair, from what I recall, is an annual event that was held in Thetford. Bear in mind,

I spent that afternoon wandering around Thetford looking for a venue called Maytree Fair, as it had appeared on yet another person notes at the time.

Scott, those nerd glasses look good on ya.

Either that or Jimmy walked into the wrong bar one night.

"Y M C A" da da da "Y M C A' ...

well 85's annual 4th of July gig was the first after the passing of Drummer Dennis Wilson. The stage had three kits during their set and several different drummers sat in. Not sure if Stamos was one of them, or even sure if he was friends w/ the BB at this point as he was'nt really known then....those Olsen twins were'nt even born yet. :huh:

But I will tell you this, if Stamos is in a bar, it's gonna be full of hot women. The man is a friggin gigilo!!! :lol:

On the "Fun, Fun, Fun With Jimmy Page" bootleg CD, Jimmy joins the band at the Philly show for Lucille, which is followed by Help Me Rhonda (also apparently with Jimmy, though you can't hear him) and a medley of Surfin' Safari/Surf City/Surfin' USA with Mr. T on drums (no Jimmy evident). Then Joan Jett & John Stamos show up and they do Barbara Ann (Jimmy plays a solo) and Fun Fun Fun (also with Jimmy).

Then, on the TV broadcast of the Washington show (here), you can see Jimmy on Surfin' USA and Barbara Ann, and he may have also played on Fun Fun Fun (which plays over the credits).

Does anyone know if Jimmy played on additional songs at the Washington show?

Archived