The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

Well... Im learning a lot in this forum, so:

I don't know much about Deep Purple history, so I want to know which is the best CD for a beginner?. For now my favourite song is Highway Star, i like My Women From Tokio.

There's quite a big DP discussion going on here: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=241 :)

I own a 2 CD version of Machine Head. CD 1 are all the original songs remastered with a bonus track. CD 2 are remixes of all the songs with alternate lead guitar along with the bonus track. Also included is a cool little booklet. Great band. I saw them in 73ish at the Felt Forum in NYC with Rory Gallagher opening.

Edited by JethroTull

Dude, you must start off with "Burn".

I started off with the albums with Ian Gillian, and the band just didn't inspire me. I finally discovered the Burn album one day, and they quickly became one of my all time favorite bands. DP MK3 and MK4 lineups are my favorite. Simply awesome.

Get Burn, then Stormbringer, then Come Taste The Band.

There's quite a big DP discussion going on here: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=241 :)

This poster seems totally incapable of seeking out previously existing threads and is constantly starting up new ones even if the thread is on page one (such as the Deep Purple one). So, good luck with that.

Edited by Jahfin

This poster seems totally incapable of seeking out previously existing threads and is constantly starting up new ones even if the thread is on page one (such as the Deep Purple one). So, good luck with that.

Can the mods just merge these topics !!

Well... Im learning a lot in this forum, so:

I don't know much about Deep Purple history, so I want to know which is the best CD for a beginner?. For now my favourite song is Highway Star, i like My Women From Tokio.

These are essential:

Deep Purple In Rock

Fireball

Machine Head

Made In Japan (Live)

Burn

You could start with In Rock and work your way through.

Can the mods just merge these topics !!

Are we that rigid and anal that we can't double up on some topics? It's not like we are at work and need to be hyper efficient. He had a specific question regarding entry level Deep Purple music. Give the guy a break.

Edited by JethroTull

Sorry guys for this new threads, but im new here (still). And thanks to everyone

Sorry guys for this new threads, but im new here (still). And thanks to everyone

I was new here once myself but that didn't stop me from figuring out how to use the Search feature. And just how much trouble does it take just to look down the page and see there was already a thread started about Deep Purple? I'm figuring not much. Welcome to the board but part of being new is learning the lay of the land prior to posting.

Are we that rigid and anal that we can't double up on some topics? It's not like we are at work and need to be hyper efficient. He had a specific question regarding entry level Deep Purple music. Give the guy a break.

I agree. Unfortunately, I think jahfin is under the impression that this is his personal forum.

I was new here once myself but that didn't stop me from figuring out how to use the Search feature. And just how much trouble does it take just to look down the page and see there was already a thread started about Deep Purple? I'm figuring not much. Welcome to the board but part of being new is learning the lay of the land prior to posting.

The search feature blows. First of all the search criteria requires that the word be at least 4 bytes long. So searching for 'ELP' doesn't work. Secondly, the search results bring back entire topics, so the user is forced to page through the entire topic for their search results. And quite often multiple topics are returned. Sorry I don't have 5 hours to page through all the results.

Edited by JethroTull

I agree. Unfortunately, I think jahfin is under the impression that this is his personal forum.

Far from it, just making a suggestion so there aren't numerous duplicate threads. Most forums even suggest looking first so there isn't a plethora of similar threads. Some people refer to it as "netiquette". I refer to it as common sense.

The search feature blows. First of all the search criteria requires that the word be at least 4 bytes long. So searching for 'ELP' doesn't work.

Then try further narrowing your search by looking for one of their album titles, a band member, etc. I've had no trouble finding the previous threads for Aerosmith, Deep Purple, and the other threads eagle87 has created duplicate threads for. Granted it's not the best search feature I've ever seen on a messageboard but it does work. At least it does for me and evidently at least two other members who have also posted links to the original thread within this thread. Not to mention the previous thread for Deep Purple was already right there on page one of this forum so it's not like it was all that hard to find.

Secondly, the search results bring back entire topics, so the user is forced to page through the entire topic for their search results. And quite often multiple topics are returned. Sorry I don't have 5 hours to page through all the results.

Like I said, myself (as well as other posters, as evidenced in this thread) have also used the Search feature to see if certain topics have been posted about before. Speaking just for myself it didn't take me 5 hours to search through the results. More like a matter of minutes and sometimes mere seconds. Yes, it does leave a lot to be desired but it's really not all that difficult.

There is no break to give I suggested we merge this topic with the one already done, thats asking the mods !! Also yes your right we are not at work and my spare time is precious and I don't really want to spend more time looking for duplicate threads thinking which one was that I posted in etc !! You might ave all the time in the world to browse round looking for loads on the same topic, I don't, also the other purple thread was on the same page as this new one, it din't even need for someone to trawl thru loads of pages !!

There is nothing wrong in being new here but there is also nothing wrong in asking or telling someone a few of the rules here to not piss people off, I think thats fine and as you say you wouldn't want to be anal about it would you !!

There is no break to give I suggested we merge this topic with the one already done, thats asking the mods !! Also yes your right we are not at work and my spare time is precious and I don't really want to spend more time looking for duplicate threads thinking which one was that I posted in etc !! You might ave all the time in the world to browse round looking for loads on the same topic, I don't, also the other purple thread was on the same page as this new one, it din't even need for someone to trawl thru loads of pages !!

There is nothing wrong in being new here but there is also nothing wrong in asking or telling someone a few of the rules here to not piss people off, I think thats fine and as you say you wouldn't want to be anal about it would you !!

You're just a ball buster. Get a life. Or better yet, get a job as a policeman. Now go complain to the mods.

You're just a ball buster. Get a life. Or better yet, get a job as a policeman. Now go complain to the mods.

You have an attitude problem mate !! why do I need to complain to the mods, you had a go at me, I replied with an answer as thats what debate is about, yet you choose to be rude to me !!

If you don't like the facts thats your problem, and if you do not want people to say their opinion to you then don't reply to a post by them !!!