The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

IMO Deep Purple doesn't belong in that discussion. Zeppelin and the Beatles are at the top tier, Sabbath is in the next group, Deep Purple is at best third tier.

Uh no, Deep Purple does belong, Sabbath would be at best third tier. Someone once said BS was like a lumbering Dump truck ploding along while DP were like a Starship, By the way I love BS

Eh, they have a handful of good songs. Take away Child in Time, Highway Star, and Black Night and what's left? Smoke on the Water? :rolleyes: Pretty slim pickins IMO. Also, aren't they quoted somewhere as saying the reason they started playing hard rock/metal was Zeppelin?

There aren't any good songs on Perfect Strangers, Abandon, or Purpendicular (to begin with)? "Wring That Neck" isn't a worthy jam? Shit.

Eh, they have a handful of good songs. Take away Child in Time, Highway Star, and Black Night and what's left? Smoke on the Water? :rolleyes: Pretty slim pickins IMO. Also, aren't they quoted somewhere as saying the reason they started playing hard rock/metal was Zeppelin?

Hush, Speed King, Strange Kind of Women, Lazy, Space Truckin, Women from Tokyo, Rat Bat Blue, Burn, Mistreated, Stormbringer, Perfect Strangers, Knocking at your back door to name a few, does not look like slim pickins, Blackmore in mid 69 wanted a more heavy sound and said he liked the singer in Zep, does that make either band better ? no, actually DP was formed before LZ,

BS DP and LZ IMO are all great bands, but its funny how some cannot accept that DP is more popular in some parts of the world

Hush, Speed King, Strange Kind of Women, Lazy, Space Truckin, Women from Tokyo, Rat Bat Blue, Burn, Mistreated, Stormbringer, Perfect Strangers, Knocking at your back door to name a few, does not look like slim pickins, Blackmore in mid 69 wanted a more heavy sound and said he liked the singer in Zep, does that make either band better ? no, actually DP was formed before LZ,

BS DP and LZ IMO are all great bands, but its funny how some cannot accept that DP is more popular in some parts of the world

Very true, but they were a "poppy/Psychedelia type of 60's band then, popular in the US but not so over here. It wasn't until Blackmore saw Zeppelin live that the penny dropped and he wanted a more heavy sound. Welcome Gillan and Glover and welcome to world wide popularity. No surprise that by 1970 they were fantastic and culminating with arguably the greatest ever live album to be produced in 1972

Hush-Pretty Good

Women from Tokyo-I always thought this was Blue Oyster Cult

Perfect Strangers and Knocking at My Back Door-80's cheese

others-That organ gets kinda old...

Yes, but the Yardbirds were formed before DP. B)

Yes. I never said they were a bad band, just not as good as Zep or Sabbath. It's funny how some people cannot accept that this is a forum where people give their opinions.

Deep Purple had badass music and yes that japanese live album was badass but the lyrics kind of lacked and i felt Ian Gillan tried to sing out of his vocal range sometimes when he was comfortable it was good... Blackmore was always trying to reach higher and higher with DP and i believe it was because he didn't want to live in the shadow of those other great british bands

Hush-Pretty Good

Yes. I never said they were a bad band, just not as good as Zep or Sabbath. It's funny how some people cannot accept that this is a forum where people give their opinions.

You thought Women from Tokyo was BOC ? I cannot see how but now you know, Yes you are entilted to think BS and LZ are better, I just dont, it would be borning if we all felt the same,by the way I love the sound of Jon Lords hamond, Perfect Strangers is a classic. Cheers mate

Hush-Pretty Good

Perfect Strangers Is not only a great album but a knockout comeback album. And despite production woes of the era. Certainly a more solid statement for Purple than Chocolate Factory has been for Primus.

"Your lights are burning bright, but nobody's home"