The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

I've never been a fan of Steve Morse Deep Purple, I'm not really into guitar players that do the "squeak" thing. Though after watching the "Infinite" documentary on the Sky Arts channel I bought the CD/DVD set. I still can't make my mind up whether or not I like this album. Yes it has it's moments of excellence but it needs a few more plays.  Then yesterday for my 60th B'day one of my sons bought me the double 45rpm vinyl edition (also comes with a DVD) he wasn't aware I already had the CD he told me (quite rightly) that it's a struggle to buy anything for me that I don't already have, so he took a chance and got me this. Now I need to get my TT out again, I'd only put it back in the attic last weekend..

Edited by JTM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Deep Purple Releases Longform Video For 'Johnny's Band'; Single Details Revealed

July 20, 2017

deeppurple2017promoband_638.jpg.2274a528ae61cf04c94b02d7c380e318.jpg

The brand new longform Craig Hooper-directed video for the song "Johnny's Band" from legendary rockers Deep Purple can be seen below.

Following the four-minute video clip for the song, the thirteen-minute longform serves as a fictional documentary about Johnny's Band. Its title, "From Here TO By There", is a clear reference to Deep Purple's movie documentary "From Here To InFinite", which is part of the limited edition of the band's recent worldwide success, "InFinite".

The video (and song) is an in-depth, affectionate portrait of a fictional band that quickly gains success -- and as quickly loses it. Having been scripted and directed by Craig Hooper and Collin Games, who are also responsible for the original Deep Purple documentary, it gives a lot of attention to detail and doesn't take itself too seriously.

The members of Johnny's Band are casted with quite familiar faces: in addition to S.E.X.'s Phil Jones, Sassafras's Dai Shell and Budgie's Steve Williams, the founding member and bass player of Saxon, Steve "Dobby" Dawson, who is said to be the inspiration for the "Spinal Tap" character Derek Smalls, is playing Old Bill The Bass. The young lead singer of Johnny's Band, Johnny Jones, is being played by singer-songwriter Steve Balsamo who among other things wrote and recorded together with the late Jon Lord.

The strictly limited collector's edition single for "Johnny's Band" is going to be released on August 4 on earMusic, both physically and digitally, and includes four previously unreleased songs, all exclusive to this EP.

Besides the "In & Out Jam", recorded by Roger Glover during the rehearsals for the album recording of "InFinite", the single is spiced with not only one but three live versions, all recorded on the successful "Now What?!"  world tour in Gavle, Sweden on August 10, 2013.

"Johnny's Band" single track listing:

01. Johnny's Band (Album Version)

02. In & Out Jam (Rehearsal Recording By Roger Glover)

03. Strange Kind Of Woman (Previously Unreleased Live Version)

04. The Mule (Previously Unreleased Live Version)

05. Hell To Pay (Previously Unreleased Live Version)

deeppurplejohnnysbandsingle.jpg.81b5367aafc3f0ceb9265a6272c3c344.jpg

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/deep-purple-releases-longform-video-for-johnnys-band-single-details-revealed/

On 5/6/2017 at 4:50 AM, JTM said:

I've never been a fan of Steve Morse Deep Purple, I'm not really into guitar players that do the "squeak" thing. Though after watching the "Infinite" documentary on the Sky Arts channel I bought the CD/DVD set. I still can't make my mind up whether or not I like this album. Yes it has it's moments of excellence but it needs a few more plays.  Then yesterday for my 60th B'day one of my sons bought me the double 45rpm vinyl edition (also comes with a DVD) he wasn't aware I already had the CD he told me (quite rightly) that it's a struggle to buy anything for me that I don't already have, so he took a chance and got me this. Now I need to get my TT out again, I'd only put it back in the attic last weekend..

Guess I am a little slow but I finally got the 45rpm edition this past weekend and gave it a couple of loud spins and watched the DVD as well. I'm really pumped to see them in Phoenix now. Also listened to a few songs today that i like; Hip Boots, Get Me Outta Here, On Top of the World, and Birds of Prey.  I really enjoyed the DVD also, as well as the album artwork. Deep Purple does vinyl right!

• 4 weeks later...

For a long goodbye tour, a co-headlining tour with a truncated Deep Purple set list is really not what I wanted, oh well. I dig their new album Infinite and wanted them to play more songs from it, like these:

5 hours ago, The Rover 75 said:

That is what you get when you have 2 bigger names on the bill, not a fan of that either, so I won't go to a show like that.

Well, whether it's a show like that or not, if it is their last time touring I won't miss it. No room to pick and choose, unless I have money to go see them in another country where they are performing with no co-headlining bands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought In Rock and Fireball, the anniversary editions with the bonus tracks, the only Purple albums I had were Machine Head and Perfect Strangers and Burn, I must say Perfect Strangers is my favorite, In Rock is okay as is Fireball but not great, I actually think Burn is better than In Rock and Fireball at the moment anyways.

Then again I grew up with Perfect Strangers, maybe that's why?

Any thoughts from anyone?

23 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

I just bought In Rock and Fireball, the anniversary editions with the bonus tracks, the only Purple albums I had were Machine Head and Perfect Strangers and Burn, I must say Perfect Strangers is my favorite, In Rock is okay as is Fireball but not great, I actually think Burn is better than In Rock and Fireball at the moment anyways.

I'm a huge Purple fan.  Burn is my favorite (love the Coverdale era, even though Stormbringer is not particularly strong), with Machine Head being a close second.  Also agree with Perfect Strangers being a truly great album.  Have to disagree with your opinion of In Rock, it's a classic, and Fireball is very underrated IMO.  (Who Do We Think We Are is pretty weak, however.)  And of course the various live albums are just smoking (pardon the pun).  FWIW the Mark IV/Tommy Bolin era is unfairly overlooked.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

814vDABGymL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c91d037e1366ae1da1f61e7b12e4fd9e.jpg41AfYPVjDZL._SL1500_.jpg.84c65f4e185cceeb7ca6cafe206d1b78.jpg

Moments of brilliance in between long stretches of tedium/boredom. The opening three songs are the best part. "Child In Time" is one of the best versions I've heard....better than the one on "Made in Japan".

Hasn't this been around for years (e.g. Scandinavian Nights)?  So it's a typical re-release stunt?  Unfortunate if so, but agreed, the version of Child in Time is astounding.  Black Night is really hot, too.

Edited by JohnOsbourne

47 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I'm a huge Purple fan.  Burn is my favorite (love the Coverdale era, even though Stormbringer is not particularly strong), with Machine Head being a close second.  Also agree with Perfect Strangers being a truly great album.  Have to disagree with your opinion of In Rock, it's a classic, and Fireball is very underrated IMO.  (Who Do We Think We Are is pretty weak, however.)  And of course the various live albums are just smoking (pardon the pun).  FWIW the Mark IV/Tommy Bolin era is unfairly overlooked.

Maybe I have to give these albums a few more listens, I love Child In Time,  great song!

Funny I like Gillan's  and Hughe's voice best on the Sabbath albums they performed on Born Again and Seventh Star, though Seventh Star is more of a IommI SOLO ALBUM.

Everyone loves Machine Head as do I, but something special about the Perfect Strangers album, maybe because it was part of my formative years.

Always loved David Coverdale's voice, from Purple to Whitesnake.

P.S. I forgot to mention I also have Shades Of Deep Purple, the original Deep Purple, not bad as well.

Edited by BledZabbath

39 minutes ago, BledZabbath said:

Maybe I have to give these albums a few more listens, I love Child In Time,  great song!

Funny I like Gillan's  and Hughe's voice best on the Sabbath albums they performed on Born Again and Seventh Star, though Seventh Star is more of a IommI SOLO ALBUM.

Everyone loves Machine Head as do I, but something special about the Perfect Strangers album, maybe because it was part of my formative years.

Always loved David Coverdale's voice, from Purple to Whitesnake.

P.S. I forgot to mention I also have Shades Of Deep Purple, the original Deep Purple, not bad as well.

Yeah, Born Again is another overlooked album (horrid cover, though), probably the last "real" Sabbath album before the long string of effectively Iommi solo albums.  Gillan apparently made a humorous comment about never being formally dismissed from the band, that he should go to a show one night and get ready to go on stage:

https://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/03/29/interview-former-black-sabbath-lead-singer-tony-martin

11 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Hasn't this been around for years (e.g. Scandinavian Nights)?  So it's a typical re-release stunt?  Unfortunate if so, but agreed, the version of Child in Time is astounding.  Black Night is really hot, too.

Throw your "Scandinavian Nights" away. This new Stockholm 1970 is in FAR SUPERIOR sound and the songs are in the correct concert order. Plus you get a great 1971 Jon Lord interview and a DVD of their 1970 live appearance on Granada TV. 

But if you are happy with inferior sound and a butchered song list, by all means keep your "Scandinavian Nights".

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, BledZabbath said:

Although it's very patchy I reckon Who Do We Think We Are has some of their best songs on it (Rat Bat Blue, Super Trooper & Smooth Dancer) & the production on it is brilliant, really powerful. I'd probably rate the 70s DP albums as follows:-

1. Machine Head

2. Burn

3. In Rock

4. Fireball

5. Come Taste The Band

6. Who Do We Think We Are

7. Stormbringer

Just as an aside, I used to play drums in a Deep Purple tribute band for a bit & Ian Paice was an incredible drummer, things like Fireball & Burn are real workouts & his fills in Black Night still make me smile after all these years, just really amazing drum parts.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Just as an aside, I used to play drums in a Deep Purple tribute band for a bit & Ian Paice was an incredible drummer, things like Fireball & Burn are real workouts & his fills in Black Night still make me smile after all these years, just really amazing drum parts.

Thanks for sharing Mook, that’s cool you’re a drummer. What’s your opinion on Bill Ward?

12 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

Thanks for sharing Mook, that’s cool you’re a drummer. What’s your opinion on Bill Ward?

Well first of all, I've not picked up a pair of sticks for nearly eight years & secondly there are far better drummers on here than me so it's just my opinion, I love the Ozzy Sabbath stuff, I've got every LP apart from Never Say Die but I have mixed feelings about Bill Ward...

I find him to be wildly inconsistent, one minute he's playing the worst drum fill I've ever heard (in Iron Man) & the next he's playing a borderline genius drum bass drum thing on Snowblind. I don't think Sabbath would've been the same without him but at times it sounds to me (especially on Paranoid & Master of Reality) that he's turned up to the studio drunk, the production on those two albums doesn't help him to be honest & the better drum sounds on Vol.4 & Sabbath Bloody Sabbath give him more scope with his symphonic sort of approach to drumming.

For those reasons, I would have him a rung or two below drummers like Bonham & Paice in the grand scheme of things although, don't get me wrong, when he was good, he was very good.