"Hey Hey What Can I Do"

BlackDog71

What does everybody think about this song? With more chances to hear this song, "Hey Hey What Can I Do" has become one of my absloute favorites from Zep. I feel Plant's voice is so top-notch and the guitar during the chorous is so sexy and shows how truly versatile they were. I love this song and i am amazed they never felt it was good enough to make it to a studio album. I heard somewhere it was one of the outtakes from Zeppelin III (maybe it didn't fit the groove or something). What a fantastic outtake! :yay:

Yeah. It was the B-side to Immigrant Song if memory serves.

Also kind of a tricky song to play for a couple of reasons:

-The acoustic guitar and mandolin have a very loose feel and the drums are so heavy!

(But then again, that's the whole point isn't it?)

-Also, the last measure of every verse drops a beat. It would be very easy to mess this one up live. (Especially if you were having a beer or two!)

-This is one of the few songs that is not tuned to pitch. It's somewhere between G and A. Not that this really matters, just a bit of interesting trivia.

• 2 months later...
What does everybody think about this song? With more chances to hear this song, "Hey Hey What Can I Do" has become one of my absloute favorites from Zep. I feel Plant's voice is so top-notch and the guitar during the chorous is so sexy and shows how truly versatile they were. I love this song and i am amazed they never felt it was good enough to make it to a studio album. I heard somewhere it was one of the outtakes from Zeppelin III (maybe it didn't fit the groove or something). What a fantastic outtake! :yay:

Yes I have always liked it and have it on a Jap B side single !!

One of my favorite Zep tunes of all time. It was actually a FM radio hit back in 1974, even though it was a 1970 B-side to Immigrant Song. KSAN in SF used to play it regularly then.

GREAT song. :D

KSAN in SF.....Wow, memories.

Best B side ever?........I say yes.

love it. used to drive me nuts, because i couldn't find it anywhere in the 70's. then in the mid 80's a friend bought it for my birthday. she found it in the import section at peaches records and tapes. jap, import 45. i keep it in my zep III album sleeve.

-This is one of the few songs that is not tuned to pitch. It's somewhere between G and A. Not that this really matters, just a bit of interesting trivia.

Is Tangerine another one like this? Or is it delibaratly like, half a step lower?

Knowing the way Jimmy was, I'd imagine it was delibrate.

Yeah but I meant is it 'somewhere between G and A' as opposed to definitely G# or A flat... (except in the case of Tangerine it'd be Am).. I can't remember if its sharp or flat but its 'off.'

Archived