Led Zeppelin in Las Vegas?

albionremain

Steve,

Pinkiny Canandy was a talented band formed in 1969 and recorded an album that year.

I've sent a message to Michael Chain with a link to this thread and an open invitation to

confirm or deny here or via private correspondence. I'll keep interested parties informed

as necessary.

tahoezep - if your truly in Tahoe PM me please, there's someone near you may know.

The Inquiry

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Steve A. Jones <undisclosed address> wrote:

Hello. Pinkiny Canandy and Michael Chain have become a topic of conversation on Led Zeppelin's Official Site (link below). It would be terrific if Michael Chain or a representative could confirm or deny he recalls opening for Led Zeppelin at the Ice Palace in Las Vegas on August 11 1969. If confirmed this date and it's details will be added to the band's official history!

Respectfully Yours,

Steve A. Jones

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...ic=4716&hl=

The Initial Confirmation

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 00:30 AM, Michael Chain <undisclosed address> wrote:

Hiya Steve;

PINKINY CANANDY didn't open for Led Zeppelin - we were second on the bill. A local band opened the show, then Pinkiny Canandy (Michael Chain) and then Zeppelin. PINKINY CANANDY: Michael Chain lead singer/songwriter guitarist (original lead singer of the KNACK) drums - Doug Altman (played with Ricky Nelson, Jackson Brown, Linda Rondstat, Danny O'Keefe) bass -Mike Rice (formerly with Merry Go Round) lead guitar - Gary Kato (formerly with Merry Go Round). Any other questions you have I'll be happy to answer. I remember that concert well.

Michael Chain

www.michaelchain.com

Edited by SteveAJones

Notes:

The show is cut short due to Robert Plant feeling ill, which also ends the tour as the following night in Las Vegas is cancelled.

I'm changing the thread here, but is there a list of the shows in which anyone other than Robert addresses the audience? Jimmy only seemed to start talking in 1980 but I know he spoke at least once prior during riot-like conditions.

That's just wonderful to get the responses from people there.

Just when ya think you know everything there is to know, new things come along.

Awesome!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

I WISH I could get my friends to post on the concerts we had here.

No one believes me.............. :bagoverhead::ph34r:

Kudos to all!

I'm changing the thread here, but is there a list of the shows in which anyone other than Robert addresses the audience? Jimmy only seemed to start talking in 1980 but I know he spoke at least once prior during riot-like conditions.

Confirmation of Las Vegas Aug 11 1969 is a hot topic at the moment! Changing the thread now may discourage concert-goers who were there from posting. I suggest

starting a new thread to raise that question. It's completely off topic.

Nice work, indeed. Especially tahoezep for his recollection, and SteveAJones for getting the confirmation. And thank you, Sam for the new entry in the timeline.

And now the rest of the story.....

A few months back I came across the impressive Led Zep website while researching the recent CD releases - the box set and Mothership.

I took a look at the list of concert dates and did not see the Vegas date listed - a few months later I returned to see if somehow I had missed something on the site and checked into the forum ....

there was your question - the timing could not have been more perfect.

Enjoyed reliving the memories.

To counter the quote in the Las Vegas Weekly from Tom Burt, when Jimmy pulled out the bow for Dazed and Confused, I had never heard anything so unique and fitting for the situation (OK-there was chemical assistance).

Very impressed by Mr. Jones detail of facts.

"LED ZEPPELIN: ICE PALACE in LAS VEGAS - AUGUST 11th 1969"

An Interview With Michael Chain of Pinkiny Canandy

Conducted Thu, April 8, 2008 by Steve A. Jones:

Q: Allow me to take you back to Summer 1969. What's going on in your life in general at that time?

A: My band the Knack (Capitol Records) had broken up and I went off on my own. I signed a new deal with UNI records and recorded the PINKINY CANANDY album.

Q: In regards to August 11th 1969, what had brought Pinkiny Canandy to Las Vegas? Was it part of a larger tour?

A: I was out promoting my new PINKINY CANANDY album and jumping from concert to concert.

Q: Do you recall who handled the bookings and promotion, if any, for the concert? Was it arranged on short notice? Do you recall posters being produced or any announcements in the press? The presence of press photographers?

A: Mike Tell promoted the concerts. (he later married Patty Duke and built an ark in his backyard) Tell flew by the seat of his pants and his concerts were the same. Pinkiny did a promo autograph album signing party at a local record store and I don't recall much in the way of posters or press. We were too worried about getting paid, played, and laid to pay much attention to anything else.

Q: Throughout the month Led Zeppelin had been staying at the Continental Hyatt House on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles. Do you recall where Pinkiny Canandy was staying?

A: When I wasn't at home (off Laurel Canyon below Mullholland Drive) PINKINY CANANDY (Michael Chain & band) was sleeping on the floor of his Ford Econoline van on a cross country pick-up concert tour Mike Tell set up.

Q: You mentioned to me a local act opened this concert, and Pinkiny Canandy was billed above Led Zeppelin. Is this correct? Does the name of the local act escape your memory?

A: Led Zeppelin topped the bill with Pinkiny Canandy as special guests and a local band opening the show. Haven't a clue who they were.

Q: Do you recall if any of the bands conducted a sound check at the Ice Palace?

A: Pinkiny did a soundcheck and then we were off to the record store.

Q: Was there any offstage interaction between yourself or your band with Led Zeppelin?

A: We got to the Ice Palace first and snagged the best dressing room (they were all pretty terrible as the place was an ice skating rink). We joked about that and John Paul Jones' connection with Herman's Hermits, and during Doug Altman's (Pinkiny drummer) solo, Doug threw a drumstick at Bonham who was behind the stage.

Q:Any backstage banter or discussions about the local music scene?

A: The stage was a makeshift platform set up on the ice in the middle of the rink. Boards were laid over the ice in front of the stage for the concert goers - no real backstage only bare ice. Not much of a music scene in Vegas other than top 40 dance bands. It they danced to you in the 60's you weren't a concert act.

Q: How long did Pinkiny Canandy perform that night? What sort of material and songs were presented?

A: We performed for about 45 minutes, playing all of my original songs from the PINKINY CANANDY album and ended the show with our signature tearing-down of our amps and drums during our encore. The drummer's set was carried offstage piece by piece during his solo until he had nothing left to play but the snare. We carried Doug offstage that night banging away to a standing ovation.

Q: After your performance, did you stay to observe Led Zeppelin's set? We're you at all familiar with their debut album? Jimmy Page's reputation as a guitarist? Were you aware he was departing for New York the next day to continue his work on Led Zeppelin II?

A: After we got out of our white Brioni suits we snuck back out to watch Zeppelin from the back of the bleachers. We had heard the debut album and were aware of Jimmy's rep as a picker (he lived up to it). Having had James Burton, Jerry Cole, Glen Campbell, Tommy Tedesco, Bobby Cochran, Kent Henry, Jose Feliciano, and Dink Kaplan play with me in the past I was always very conscious of great guitarists. We too were departing for New York that night, only we were doing it in a Ford Van.

Q: Do you have any other recollections or anecdotes from that night you wish to share?

A: Zeppelin were great guys, great players, and they had a great sense of humor. I am currently writing a book about that Mike Tell pick-up tour we played with Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Canned Heat, Zombies and Three Dog Night on.

Q: Did you attend any of Led Zeppelin's other performances thru the years? Did your paths ever cross again personally or professionally?

A: Never did. A few years after that concert I became a television writer (Rambo, Punky Brewster, Villa Alegre, Chuck Norris) and didn't go back into music until the late 90's.

Q: What's next for Michael Chain? Any particular projects you wish to mention?

A: You can check out all of my music from the original Knack to now on youtube.com (search: Michael Chain Band) or my website: www.michaelchain.com

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 year later...

Blocoboy has posted a fascinating discovery to this thread that places Led Zeppelin in

Las Vegas in 1969! Accordingly, I'd now like to suggest the band may have attended Elvis' midnight concert immediately following their own Las Vegas gig or that the next day Robert (and perhaps JPJ & Bonzo) attended Elvis' 8:15pm concert while Jimmy was in NYC for the day working on 'Led Zeppelin II' before flying back to rejoin the group in Los Angeles.

Edited by SteveAJones

Blocoboy has posted a fascinating discovery to this thread that places Led Zeppelin in

Las Vegas in 1969! Accordingly, I'd now like to suggest the band may have attended Elvis' midnight concert immediately following their own Las Vegas gig or that the next day Robert (and perhaps JPJ & Bonzo) attended Elvis' 8:15pm concert while Jimmy was in NYC for the day working on 'Led Zeppelin II' before flying back to rejoin the group in Los Angeles.

Elvis had a pretty decent sized audience in 1969.

I guess there were at least two dates, July 31 and August 1.

Elvis Presley-Live In Las Vegas 1969

Miss P...I am with Band..

August 12....Anaheim Stadium, 8,500 screaming raging people, a twenty five minute standing ovation...........Jimmy and I smoked and drank at the The Ex and went back to the hotel....

........We're off to Vegas now to see Mr. Presley.........

We stayed in the elegant suite with a king-sized bed up on a platform, and sat right in the front row to see the King reclaim his throne. He was wearing black leather and looked like ten gree Gods as he tore through "Love me Tender,"Don't be cruel, and jailhouse rock.".........He was sweating, he was in the flesh, he was alive, inhaling and exhaling. And there I was in Vegas, breathing the same air as Elvis Presley, sitting with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, completely and entirely beside myself. Some sideburned grease monkey appeared after the show, asking Jimmy if he would like to meet Elvis. He said "No", thank you," and I never quite got over it....

Prior to August 12, and after August 6...she also writes....On his day off, we stayed in my bedroom, listening to the test pressing of Led Zeppelin II over and over again while he took reams of notes.........

not edited...

Miss P...I am with Band..

August 12....Anaheim Stadium, 8,500 screaming raging people, a twenty five minute standing ovation...........Jimmy and I smoked and drank at the The Ex and went back to the hotel....

........We're off to Vegas now to see Mr. Presley.........

We stayed in the elegant suite with a king-sized bed up on a platform, and sat right in the front row to see the King reclaim his throne. He was wearing black leather and looked like ten gree Gods as he tore through "Love me Tender,"Don't be cruel, and jailhouse rock.".........He was sweating, he was in the flesh, he was alive, inhaling and exhaling. And there I was in Vegas, breathing the same air as Elvis Presley, sitting with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, completely and entirely beside myself. Some sideburned grease monkey appeared after the show, asking Jimmy if he would like to meet Elvis. He said "No", thank you," and I never quite got over it....

Prior to August 12, and after August 6...she also writes....On his day off, we stayed in my bedroom, listening to the test pressing of Led Zeppelin II over and over again while he took reams of notes.........

not edited...

Jimmy didn't have a day off between August 7th & 12th unless he did NOT play Las Vegas on the 11th.

Pam is incorrect about Anaheim on 8/12, it was 8/9 and Ritchie Yorkie said Jimmy flew to NYC on 8/12 via Salt Lake City to work on LZ II mixes and flew back to LA that night.

If Pam is correct about having stayed the night in Vegas with Jimmy, it must have been

either 8/11 or 8/12 as they played Lubbock, TX on 8/13. It's interesting she does not

mention Led Zeppelin having played in Las Vegas. The mystery continues...

Jimmy didn't have a day off between August 7th & 12th unless he did NOT play Las Vegas on the 11th.

Pam is incorrect about Anaheim on 8/12, it was 8/9 and Ritchie Yorkie said Jimmy flew to NYC on 8/12 via Salt Lake City to work on LZ II mixes and flew back to LA that night.

If Pam is correct about having stayed the night in Vegas with Jimmy, it must have been

either 8/11 or 8/12 as they played Lubbock, TX on 8/13. It's interesting she does not

mention Led Zeppelin having played in Las Vegas. The mystery continues...

Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, and Jethro Tull opened that hot, summer night and it was all quite high energy.

Jimmy Page played exceptionally well on lead guitar, John Bonham thundered away on drums, John Paul Jones excelled on keyboards and bass guitar, and Robert Plant was very nice to the audience, and he sang, too, including a live premiere of Whole Lotta Love.

That was a pretty fun night.

I may have worn my white, short-sleeved, ruffled gypsy-styled blouse with the thin-waled, wheat-colored corduroy jeans that night, but my memory is fuzzy on those points.

anaheim69ad.jpg

Edited by eternal light

Elvis Dates Record 1969...Las Vegas

Elvis Presley Concert - August 11 1969 International Hotel Las Vegas NV Dinner (8.15pm) 2200

Elvis Presley Concert - August 11 1969 International Hotel Las Vegas NV Midnight (12.00am) 2200

Elvis Presley Concert - August 12 1969 International Hotel Las Vegas NV Dinner (8.15pm) 2200

Elvis Presley Concert - August 12 1969 International Hotel Las Vegas NV Midnight (12.00am) 2200

http://elvis-las-vegas.110mb.com/html/las_vegas_1969.html

Further,

Catherine James - "Dandelion" also does not mention this Las Vegas Concert - Both Pam and Catherine dated Jimmy relatively in the same time frame....