Led Zeppelin in Las Vegas?

albionremain

Elvis Set/List Stage Attire - For August 11/12, needs to be established (I have noticed White also on certain dates, but unable to establish for specific dates...As you know Pam describes Elvis's Black Suit and his songs in her journal entry....this could be helpful....granted, setlist/attire could be duplicated, but confirmation is helpful)

There is a photograph of Elvis Presley signing autographs at a table on August 12, in which he is wearing a dark shirt and a white jacket.

elvispresleymusic.com.au/elvis_presley_1967_1969.html

I did find a source that states he was wearing a black suit for the 12:00 am performance on August 12, 1969.

elvisconcerts.com/concerts/Concert_expand.php?id=25

Edited by eternal light

I did find a source that states he was wearing a black suit for the 12:00 am performance on August 12, 1969.

elvisconcerts.com/concerts/Concert_expand.php?id=25

Yes. Ultimately I think it can be proven he wore a black suit for multiple performances

throughout what was his "comeback" engagement running 7/31/69 and into August.

Best evidence to support Led Zeppelin attended opening night is Bingenheimer's presence and his recollection they received those special gifts to commemorate

the occasion.

Pamela DeBarres - I'm With The Band Page 152

April 28, 1969 Entry - ........P.S. Big news....Led Zeppelin are arriving tomorrow...

The next night my dear Mercy accompanied me to the Whiskey to see Led Zeppelin.................After this thrilling display we made our way to Thee Experience, Jimmy Page sat apart from it all, observing the scne as if he had imagined it;

I don't have Pamela's book, but I remember reading the 4/28/69 entry in the bookstore. She goes on to mention that Page was sick and that his shoe fell of like Cinderella's slipper, and that he had to be carried off the stage. It was obvious that she was actually referring to the January 1969 Whisky shows when Page was sick.

Since she was four months off on that recollection, I kind of take all of her recollections with a grain of salt.

Steve, I think you meant to say the band played Irvine on 5/1/69, not Pasadena. Either way, they're both in the L.A. area.

Edited by mikezep61

Steve A. Jones - IN RESPONSE TO YOUR POST #75

This is definite Confirmation....Beyond reasonable doubt.....Here is the sequence of

Events.........the dots are connected...

April 28th - Pam's Journal entry - Page/Pam "Notice" each other... (NO MEETING HERE)

Proof - Pam writes on Aug. 1 (their first meeting) - he told her "I got your number

last time I was in town - Page/Catherine James split (dated since Yardbirds)

July 31st (Thurs.) - The Band MUST perform concert in Vegas/attend Rodney B's arranged Opening Night later - (Page refuses to meet Elvis (time constraint) AND They (RETURNED) are at Thee Experience back that night (see Pam's entry - "Jimmy Page is coming to town today....July 31 entry

THE VEGAS CONCERT HAS HAPPENED ON JULY 31, PAM IS NOT AWARE OF IT, SHE HAS NOT CONNECTED WITH PAGE/ZEP IN ANY WAY, but she will when they return same night to Thee Experience

***NOTICE HER AUGUST 1 ENTRY "Jimmy was just here to greet me and asked 92 questions WHY Why I didn't meet him at the Hyatt House LAST NIGHT"

The July 31st entry is CORRECT (Band parties at The Ex/Page alone at Hyatt)

(JIMMY DID NOT GO TO NEW YORK, AS ABOVE, THEY RETURNED LATE TO THEE EXPERIENCE)

August 1 - Earl Warren Show Ground, Santa Barbara - JIMMY AND PAM MEET FOR THE FIRST TIME AS PAM NOW AGREED TO MEET/DATE PAGE....First concert she attends

***SEE Chain's interview conducted"...Were you aware Jimmy going to New York...He says we were too... not attentive (they are road/travelling band) where Page is headed to...but Chain knows he is Going somewhere....***

***Pam goes to Vegas with Zep

August 12, 1969 - Note Pam's entry carefully - August 11/12 She writes "We're off to Vegas now to see Mr. Presely. Mr. Page takes care of me, doesn't he?? I adore him so much....

(they are in a relationship)

IN Vegas, Here Page makes the decision to go to Kramer/Grant in New York to finish Led Zep II - Peter receives Page - As per York (The SALT LAKE CITY FLIGHT ORIGINATES THIS DATE, BUT IS IRRELEVANT TO THE LED ZEP PERFORMANCE CONCERT ON JULY 31/Elvis)

(PETER IN FACT IS IN NEW YORK)

***If the concert had taken place on August 11....then PAM was with them/sidelined, SHE CLEARLY HAS NO IDEA/PROOF OF THIS CONCERT.......(It never happened this date, she doesn't realize, EVENT HAS ALREADY TAKEN PLACE... There is no need for her to mention it, it is irrelevant to her as she mentions only her Led Zep experiences.... (The rest of the Band/Pam returns to CA, Page - to New York - Return Flight to CA to join BAND)

Pam's entry August 14......."Gone"....(Page 159)...My lovely Jimmy. How amazing it all was.......

July 31 and August 1 are INTERMITTENT dates - evident by Pam's entry..."why

I didn't meet him last night"

Summarize - The Vegas Concert Date is July 31, 1969

Led Zep II was mixed in New York via Page/Kramer/Grant in the week of August 11, 1969 - including weekend....

ONLY ONE FLIGHT ORIGINATED VIA SALT LAKE CITY - on August 12, 1969

Zep has seen Elvis twice July 31 - With Rodney

Aug. 11 - With Pam...

Edited by PlanetPage

....NME Express - Reference to Blocoboy's scanned article, NME - weekly publication....

Robert's Article in Index - Aug. 2, 1969 Issue No. 1183 (America Calling)

**Blocoboy's scanned article starts with "Robert Plant called this week...."

NME July issue ends with July 26, 1969....begins with First Issue with Aug. 2 ...

This places July 31/Aug. 1 in first week of publication...

There is no Zep reference in Aug. 16,1969 Issue No. 1184...

http://www.skidmore.edu/~gthompso/britrock/NME/nme6908.htm

The date of Blocoboy's scanned is pertinent to next Issue No. 1184 - August 16 Week Issue...

reiterate: NME is published weekly...Robert's article appeared in the FIRST Issue of August, 1969, Publication is dated Aug. 2, 1969....

- There is no other reference to ZEP in Aug./Sept...

Actually, there are quite a few references to Zep in New Musical Express in August 1969. The documentation of the NME on that website does not nearly cover everything.

These are the correct dates:

8/2/69 NME:

69-08-02NMEa.jpg

8/2/69 NME (2nd reference in this issue):

69-08-02NMEb.jpg

8/9/69 NME:

69-08-09NME.jpg

8/16/69 NME:

69-08-16NME.jpg

8/30/69 NME:

69-08-30NME.jpg

Edited by mikezep61

Actually, there are quite a few references to Zep in New Musical Express in August 1969. The documentation of the NME on that website does not nearly cover everything.

These are the correct dates:

8/2/69 NME:

69-08-02NMEa.jpg

8/2/69 NME (2nd reference in this issue):

69-08-02NMEb.jpg

8/9/69 NME:

69-08-09NME.jpg

8/16/69 NME:

69-08-16NME.jpg

8/30/69 NME:

69-08-30NME.jpg

Mikezep61,

...Thanks for posting those amazing discoveries...You are right, as I searched earlier there website, the date is indeed August 2, this confirms further (yes, the article script is for the Elvis Show August 11/12, Robert must have called around this date) ......tks..lot... :D

Edited by PlanetPage

I don't have Pamela's book, but I remember reading the 4/28/69 entry in the bookstore. She goes on to mention that Page was sick and that his shoe fell of like Cinderella's slipper, and that he had to be carried off the stage. It was obvious that she was actually referring to the January 1969 Whisky shows when Page was sick.

Since she was four months off on that recollection, I kind of take all of her recollections with a grain of salt.

Steve, I think you meant to say the band played Irvine on 5/1/69, not Pasadena. Either way, they're both in the L.A. area.

It's certainly plausible she is referring to the 1/2/69 Whiskey a Go-Go gig in LA, where

Jimmy performed with a fever of 104 degrees & the second evening set was cancelled.

I meant to say Irvine on 5/1/69. When going from memory I post something incorrect!

:)

Steve A. Jones - IN RESPONSE TO YOUR POST #75

Very impressive presentation. I'm inclined to agree with you on all points. All that's left

to do here is further substantiate a Led Zeppelin concert at the Ice Palace in Las Vegas

on 7/31/69. I intend to contact Rodney Bingenheimer to see what, if anything, he can add to Michael Chain's recollections about this gig. If Rodney went he may well have saved the stub as he has quite a collection of music memrobilia.

It's certainly plausible she is referring to the 1/2/69 Whiskey a Go-Go gig in LA, where

Jimmy performed with a fever of 104 degrees & the second evening set was cancelled.

I meant to say Irvine on 5/1/69. When going from memory I post something incorrect!

:)

That was on a Thursday night.

My boyfriend had kept me out all night on Wednesday, so my parents would not let me go out on Thursday, but my classmates talked about the concert the following morning.

According to what they told me there were two performances scheduled at Crawford Hall for that date, and the first audience refused to leave, so the police showed up to direct the activities.

From the sound of it what eventually happened was that both audiences combined to pack the venue.

69_irvine_may.jpg

Very impressive presentation. I'm inclined to agree with you on all points. All that's left

to do here is further substantiate a Led Zeppelin concert at the Ice Palace in Las Vegas

on 7/31/69. I intend to contact Rodney Bingenheimer to see what, if anything, he can add to Michael Chain's recollections about this gig. If Rodney went he may well have saved the stub as he has quite a collection of music memrobilia.

Since Rodney was the owner of the Whisky, I wonder if he could also shed some definitive light on exactly how many sets/days the band played at the Whisky in January 1969. Even Robert and Jimmy contradict one another. Jimmy said they played all four nights (1/2-1/5/69), but had to do one long set each night. In a 1976 Circus magazine Plant said they played "one gig out of the three we were supposed to have played." The year before at the 3/12/75 show Robert stated that "we were supposed to do four gigs there and did one. Jimmy got, what was it?"

Needless to say, Jimmy's recollection makes the most sense since we have a recording of the 1/5/69 show and Robert mentions the gig the prior evening. Also, photos for ages were attributed to the 1/2/69 show. As for the 1/3/69 show? They probably played it, but one can never know.

Who knows, maybe the girl in the audience in this picture is the infamous Pamela herself (it certainly looks like it could be her):

whisky69-d.jpg

Also, not that this would preclude a show in Las Vegas on 7/31/69, but the band did perform TWO shows at the Terrace Ballroom in Salt Lake City on 7/30/69.

• Administrators
Since Rodney was the owner of the Whisky, I wonder if he could also shed some definitive light on exactly how many sets/days the band played at the Whisky in January 1969

Rodney was never an owner of the Whisky.

Needless to say, Jimmy's recollection makes the most sense since we have a recording of the 1/5/69 show and Robert mentions the gig the prior evening. Also, photos for ages were attributed to the 1/2/69 show. As for the 1/3/69 show? They probably played it, but one can never know.

I asked about that a while back and Jimmy's recollection was that the Jan. 3rd show was not played.

Rodney was never an owner of the Whisky.

I asked about that a while back and Jimmy's recollection was that the Jan. 3rd show was not played.

Rodney was the emcee at the Whisky. Elmer Valentine was one of the co-owners that I had confused Rodney with.

I wouldn't doubt if the 1/3/69 Whisky show was not played. It would really be pretty ridiculous for Robert to say they only played one of the 3 or 4 shows, if they played all four! (I guess it's ridiculous anyway since it seems they played three of the four nights).

I intend to contact Rodney Bingenheimer to see what, if anything, he can add to Michael Chain's recollections about this gig. If Rodney went he may well have saved the stub as he has quite a collection of music memrobilia.

....Correction on my Part - Page Refused to Meet Elvis (As Per Pam's diary) on Aug. 12 - Not as as per my error on Jul 31...(no effect on events)

although I highly doubt it Page met Elvis either of these nights due to his busy flying schedule....

Opening Night July 31, 1969 10:15 P.M.

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/elvis_..._1967_1969.html

Bingenheimer, as you know, may or may not have attended Zep Concert...depending on his event/schedule......

Most certainly, Pictures with Elvis would be a treasure...

Rodney B. direct quote from scanned article "...and they got to meet Elvis"

(Opening Night)

Edited by PlanetPage

• Administrators

David "Screaming Lord" Sutch was with Rodney in Vegas (they were good friends) to meet Elvis in summer '69

I was friends with Sutch and he told me about this meeting, but I don't know if this was July or August. He never mentioned anything about any Zep members being there at that occasion.

Attached is a photo he gave me: L to R: Rodney, Sutch, The King. He told me that he was speaking to Elvis about the possibility of coming to the UK to perform as this pic was taken.

post-5-1245796412_thumb.jpg

David "Screaming Lord" Sutch was with Rodney in Vegas (they were good friends) to meet Elvis in summer '69

I was friends with Sutch and he told me about this meeting, but I don't know if this was July or August. He never mentioned anything about any Zep members being there at that occasion.

Attached is a photo he gave me: L to R: Rodney, Sutch, The King. He told me that he was speaking to Elvis about the possibility of coming to the UK to perform as this pic was taken.

post-5-1245796412_thumb.jpg

Thank you Sam for the Info...

RIP Sutch, beautiful memories... He is at Elvis Press Conference Aug. 1, 1969....First Show...(Zep already left on Opening Night July 31, 1969....this is the next day....... Here is the link to that photo....

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/interview_...onference.shtml

Edited by PlanetPage

....NME Express - Reference to Blocoboy's scanned article, NME - weekly publication....

Robert's Article in Index - Aug. 2, 1969 Issue No. 1183 (America Calling)

**Blocoboy's scanned article starts with "Robert Plant called this week...."

NME July issue ends with July 26, 1969....begins with First Issue with Aug. 2 ...

This places July 31/Aug. 1 in first week of publication...

There is no Zep reference in Aug. 16,1969 Issue No. 1184...

http://www.skidmore.edu/~gthompso/britrock/NME/nme6908.htm

The date of Blocoboy's scanned is pertinent to next Issue No. 1184 - August 16 Week Issue...

reiterate: NME is published weekly...Robert's article appeared in the FIRST Issue of August, 1969, Publication is dated Aug. 2, 1969....

- There is no other reference to ZEP in Aug./Sept...

**Although Pam's recollection is mostly accurate, the dates are conflicting...Peter Grant is notably missing when the Band arrives close to July, 1969 dates @ The Ex...highly likely he is in New York/Kramer...as Grant is to receive Page at Airport/New York....

**The promotional CD's/T-shirts, etc...is also mentioned in Elvis/Vegas Opening Night July 31, 1969 Thurs via his fan club...(proof/stated by Bingenh.) -see his statement in Entourage Thread... (Rodney clearly states the Band received CD special set, which now sells for $500, back in '86 that is)

Elvis Set/List Stage Attire - For August 11/12, needs to be established (I have noticed White also on certain dates, but unable to establish for specific dates...As you know Pam describes Elvis's Black Suit and his songs in her journal entry....this could be helpful....granted, setlist/attire could be duplicated, but confirmation is helpful)

***BUT as I estbalished earlier, her description does matches the opening night in every way....

(Peter Grant's whereabouts/info. for Aug. 11/12 would helpful, clearly if he is not in New York, then Page wouldn't have travelled this date, as Grant would have received him....

**If possible, ever gracious Chain could be verified for any references to Elvis that night***

On August 12 1969 at the first show Elvis performed...

Blue Suede Shoes

I Got A Woman

All Shook Up

Love Me Tender

Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel

Heartbreak Hotel

Hound Dog

Memories

Mystery Train/Tiger Man

(Elvis tells how he started in show business)

Baby What You Want Me To Do

Runaway

Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Yesterday/Hey Jude

-Band Intros-

In The Ghetto

Suspicious Minds

What Did I Say

Can't Help Falling in Love

And he wore a Black Oufit that night. But the stage outfits he wore in 69 were mostly black and occasionally white.I don't know the setlist for the second show that day.

Edited by spats

On August 12 1969 at the first show Elvis performed...

Blue Suede Shoes

I Got A Woman

All Shook Up

Love Me Tender

Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel

Heartbreak Hotel

Hound Dog

Memories

Mystery Train/Tiger Man

(Elvis tells how he started in show business)

Baby What You Want Me To Do

Runaway

Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Yesterday/Hey Jude

-Band Intros-

In The Ghetto

Suspicious Minds

What Did I Say

Can't Help Falling in Love

And he wore a Black Oufit that night. But the stage outfits he wore in 69 were mostly black and occasionally white.I don't know the setlist for the second show that day.

......every possibility had to be ruled out, ....just in case....

Photos for ages were attributed to the 1/2/69 show. As for the 1/3/69 show? They probably played it, but one can never know.

Who knows, maybe the girl in the audience in this picture is the infamous Pamela herself (it certainly looks like it could be her):

whisky69-d.jpg

Led Zeppelin absolutely performed at the Whiskey a Go-Go on 1/2/69 because the next day photographer Norwood Price called Jimmy from the lobby of the Chateau Marmont to offer him the photos he'd taken of the show. Jimmy (and a girl) met Norwood poolside and Jimmy kept the photos. I don't know for certain if the photo above was taken by Norwood or someone else, but Norwood did shoot the show in b&w.

Edited by SteveAJones

whisky69-d.jpg

"Jimmy spent the first two nights after Led Zeppelin`s debut at the Whisky A-Go-Go in Catherine`s house. After that, the band went up to San Francisco, then Jimmy and Pamela Des Barres relationship started at the Hyatt House."

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/co...-jimmy-page.htm

Miss P. From I'm with the Band.......

"I wanted to bring in the sexy new year of 1969 with my new unmet friend, Cynthia Plaster Caster of Chicago..." Pg. 127

"there was poster on her wall of a group I had yet to hear of - four gorgeous Englishmen called Led Zeppelin......" She described Jimmy Page...... Pg. 129

First Entry of 1969 is Jan 10 - Reference to Chris Hllman (No ZEP/PAGE AT ALL)

NO REF. TO ZEP in FEB/69 AT ALL...

VERY FIRST REFERENCE (I posted her entry see - earlier posts)........

APRIL 28, 1969 ....Big news...Led Zeppelin is coming to town, Jimmy Page while I watched him reinvent guitar playing.........After this thrilling display, we made our way to Thee Experience

(ZEP/Page hung out - Pam/Page notice each other....No meeting)

Aug. 1, 1969 - Pam/Page official conversation/First Meeting, Earl Warren Show Grounds....

Therefore, the Girl with Page and/or in the Audience cannot be Miss. P.

Highly likely Catherine James, author of Dandelion.....

"Jimmy spent the first two nights after Led Zeppelin`s debut at the Whisky A-Go-Go in Catherine`s house. After that, the band went up to San Francisco, then Jimmy and Pamela Des Barres relationship started at the Hyatt House."

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/co...-jimmy-page.htm

Miss P. From I'm with the Band.......

"I wanted to bring in the sexy new year of 1969 with my new unmet friend, Cynthia Plaster Caster of Chicago..." Pg. 127

"there was poster on her wall of a group I had yet to hear of - four gorgeous Englishmen called Led Zeppelin......" She described Jimmy Page...... Pg. 129

First Entry of 1969 is Jan 10 - Reference to Chris Hllman (No ZEP/PAGE AT ALL)

NO REF. TO ZEP in FEB/69 AT ALL...

VERY FIRST REFERENCE (I posted her entry see - earlier posts)........

APRIL 28, 1969 ....Big news...Led Zeppelin is coming to town, Jimmy Page while I watched him reinvent guitar playing.........After this thrilling display, we made our way to Thee Experience

(ZEP/Page hung out - Pam/Page notice each other....No meeting)

Aug. 1, 1969 - Pam/Page official conversation/First Meeting, Earl Warren Show Grounds....

Therefore, the Girl with Page and/or in the Audience cannot be Miss. P.

Highly likely Catherine James, author of Dandelion.....

According to her own book, "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay," (pg. 299), Pamela attended the Led Zeppelin at the Whisky:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pJaU7NnAL...mela+des+barres

As I mentioned in a prior post, her entry of April 28, 1969 is wrong because Led Zeppelin only played the Whisky in January. She even mentions Page collapsing at the end of the set and being carried off by roadies (Page had the flu at the January 1969 Whisky shows). The girl in the photo might be Pamela if you believe that she attended the Zeppelin show at the Whisky, as she has mentioned in the book.

You mentioned that the band went to San Francisco after Los Angeles, which places the gig in January, since they played San Francisco before the L.A. area in April/May 1969. Also, if Jimmy and Pamela's relationship started at the Hyatt House, it started in West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip since that's where the hotel is located (not too far from the Whisky).

The entry you posted was from "who dated who":

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/co...-jimmy-page.htm. It says that Page stayed at Catherine's house the first TWO nights after Led Zeppelin's debut. Then it says that Page & Pamela's relationship started at the Hyatt House after the band went up to San Francisco. That could possibly be interpreted that he spent the third (or even fourth) night in L.A. at the Hyatt House with Pamela, and went up to San Francisco later. After all, he did have a few days between the 1/5/69 LA show and the 1/9/69 SF shows.

Here's a link to other pictures of the Whisky shows that Norwood Price took:

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/vintage/roc...ntagep.html#zep

According to her own book, "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay," (pg. 299), Pamela attended the Led Zeppelin at the Whisky:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pJaU7NnAL...mela+des+barres

As I mentioned in a prior post, her entry of April 28, 1969 is wrong because Led Zeppelin only played the Whisky in January. She even mentions Page collapsing at the end of the set and being carried off by roadies (Page had the flu at the January 1969 Whisky shows). The girl in the photo might be Pamela if you believe that she attended the Zeppelin show at the Whisky, as she has mentioned in the book.

You mentioned that the band went to San Francisco after Los Angeles, which places the gig in January, since they played San Francisco before the L.A. area in April/May 1969. Also, if Jimmy and Pamela's relationship started at the Hyatt House, it started in West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip since that's where the hotel is located (not too far from the Whisky).

The entry you posted was from "who dated who":

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/co...-jimmy-page.htm. It says that Page stayed at Catherine's house the first TWO nights after Led Zeppelin's debut. Then it says that Page & Pamela's relationship started at the Hyatt House after the band went up to San Francisco. That could possibly be interpreted that he spent the third (or even fourth) night in L.A. at the Hyatt House with Pamela, and went up to San Francisco later. After all, he did have a few days between the 1/5/69 LA show and the 1/9/69 SF shows.

Here's a link to other pictures of the Whisky shows that Norwood Price took:

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/vintage/roc...ntagep.html#zep

....I didn't read the mentioned book, only I'm With The Band...I just realized, after reading you are indeed correct as previous.....Tks. Lot for the clarification on earlier dates...

I was concentrating majority of the time in around the Las Vegas/opening Night/Elvis dates....

Beautiful Pictures....

Edited: I have also read Dandelion - There appears to be confusion of dates in his earlier time...it seems he has connected with both of them back and forth.......

Edited by PlanetPage

Probably in the same day too. It pays to be a rock star! :D

...Yes, it does.... :D

but highly important are the Las Vegas dates...that FACT stands correct.........She is correct about those entries....

She notices Jimmy at Whiskey, but THEY DO NOT MEET AS PER PREVIOUS discussion........

:D :D

Edited by PlanetPage