The Doors Thread

eagle87

Thinking about picking up a copy of the 6 cd box set from two nights at the Felt Forum in NYC. Anyone have any input as to if I should or not? I've read great things about the four show performance. Currently listening to the Boston Arena '70 (early show) performance. Jim was very drunk this night, so it's an interesting night. Currently playing "Mystery Train".

Thinking about picking up a copy of the 6 cd box set from two nights at the Felt Forum in NYC. Anyone have any input as to if I should or not? I've read great things about the four show performance. Currently listening to the Boston Arena '70 (early show) performance. Jim was very drunk this night, so it's an interesting night. Currently playing "Mystery Train".

To answer my own question, YES it's worth picking up this box set. Currently listening to it and The Doors sound the best I've ever heard. Tight, but loose. Jim is right on, band goes in whatever direction they want/need to, and the recording quality is top notch. The variety of songs played in these 4 shows is fantastic too! They hadn't released Morrison Hotel yet, but play a healthy dose of the disc. I see Maggie M'Gill is played at the end of the last show - one of my favorites ever!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got this Doors show.

THE DOORS

live at Danbury High School, October 1967

Danbury Connecticut

A high school booked a show with Jim Morrison? Like in their gym, with cheerleaders and all?! :lol:

This goes into the 'What Were They Thinkin?' category. :slapface:

Not that unusual. Cream, The Who, Aerosmith, Rush, etc. all played high school shows back in the day. I could post some pics and vids but this is a Doors thread.

• 5 months later...

Friday, February 12, Robby Krieger and John Densmore of The Doors will perform with Robert DeLeo (of Stone Temple Pilots), Stephen Perkins (of Jane's Addiction), Rami Jaffee (of Foo Fighters) and other surprise guests in honor of Ray Manzarek.  This will take place at The Fonda Theatre in LA. 

Going Strider???

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite bands of all time.  Jim, of course, was a great poet, intelligent, pretentious, loveable, drunk, chaotic, ego maniac.  Their songs had an atmospheric poetry to them which made them unique from any other band, and even at their tail end, they tapped into a really good bluesy sound.  Also, Ray Manzarek, playing keys and bass at the same time, cannot be understated.  He was every bit as important as Jim.

• 8 months later...
On March 30, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Marmalade_Skies said:

One of my favorite bands of all time.  Jim, of course, was a great poet, intelligent, pretentious, loveable, drunk, chaotic, ego maniac.  Their songs had an atmospheric poetry to them which made them unique from any other band, and even at their tail end, they tapped into a really good bluesy sound.  Also, Ray Manzarek, playing keys and bass at the same time, cannot be understated.  He was every bit as important as Jim.

Absolutely agree with this!

:goodpost: 

I do like the Doors music, but not so much the live tracks. When Jim starts rambling on about something, wrecks it for me. Maybe I'm getting old, who knows. I can equate to any other artist, who at some point in the song, usually the chorus, decides the audience needs to sing along, while it may be cool if you are there, that also wrecks the song for me.

I agree that Ray Manzarek was as important to the group. I heard a few interviews with him over the years, a really intelligent guy, worth trying to find those interviews.

• 3 weeks later...

The Doors have always been one of my Top 5-Rockbands.  Together with Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe & The Fish, Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band, and The Rolling Stones.

Below an old US Mono pressing of their debut, the so called first  'Monarch'  Mono pressing from January 1967, named after the  Monarch pressing plant on the Westcoast (identificable by the Matrix number and symbols in the dead wax).

desismileys_0090.gif

The Doors Mono  I.jpg

The Doors Mono  II.jpg

The Doors  US-Mono  II.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Below another  old  & original  US-Mono-First-Pressing, released September 1967.

Bought 30 years ago on a  flea market in Munich  for just 5 DM - a real bargain  desismileys_3334.gif

Strange Days US Mono.jpg

Strange Days US Mono II.jpg

Strange Days US Mono  III.jpg

Edited by Zino

My personal ranking of their studio albums:

1.  The Doors   desismileys_0490.gif

2.  Strange Days   desismileys_2787.gif

3.  L. A. Woman desismileys_2785.gif

4.  Morrison Hotel

5.  Waiting  For The Sun

6.  The Soft Parade

Doors Ranking I.jpg

Doors Ranking II.jpg

Edited by Zino

• 4 weeks later...

The Robbie Krieger Band played at the Orpheum in Flagstaff, AZ the night of January 19th. The wife and I went however there was a blizzard and the whole crowd was maybe 100 people max. The place was almost empty. Everyone was almost on the damn stage that is how close we all were. I was hoping Krieger would play some solo stuff or flamenco but the whole show was exclusively Doors songs. I love the Doors (they are in my top five bands) but I will admit I was a bit disappointed. Krieger played well, sounded exactly like he did in the Doors and had a good backing band...except for the singer! His son was the singer and he was a complete douche. Standing up there in black leathers and dark sunglasses trying to act intense and instead completely missed the mark. His singing was ok, it was his presence and actions which kinda soured the experience.

Krieger was a very gracious guy and engaged the audience often so I asked him if he would indulge us with some of his excellent flamenco work. Robbie obliged and played an extended Spanish Caravan which was the best song of the night.

I may have been a wee bit disappointed, but I would also have gladly paid the admission just to hear that one song. No regrets except that I was way to young to have seen the doors live, unless I pulled a Stewie and jetted off to NOLA in Dec 1970 to see their last show at the age of 2.