Is my timing way off?

Mike2519

Hello all,

I’ve just started getting into recording using Audacity (can’t afford anything else!) and I need opinions on a recording. It’s nothing fancy, just a very short 45 sec demo of Bring it on Home, but I’ve listened to it so much I just can’t tell whether I’ve kept the right tempo. For some reason it sounds a little odd in the last few seconds but I can’t put my finger on it, not sure whether I’m speeding up or whether one of the guitar parts is out of synch.

Anyway, here it is for your fresh ears. Hope the link works.

http://download-v5.streamload.com/8f5d1844...in%20Cover).mp3

Cheers

Mike

Just ever so slightly off on the second (or third) go around when it kicks in.

However, you may not be to blame at all - as far as timing goes. Do a Google search for "latency" and start reading. The delay that you hear may be due to latency which the short answer is depending on your hardware setup, software, computer etc. you can hear slight pauses in between the time you actually play and when the sound is processed/recorded. When I first got into home recording it drove me bananas - because I KNEW I wasn't playing out of time, I was playing to a freakin' metronome there was no way I was off....turned out it was a latency issue.

Good luck but I warn you beforehand it can take a lot of experimenting but be patient.

BTW good first recording, great guitar tone especially when you really kick it in.

Thanks for the kind comments, have to admit it's not quite my first recording though, but it is the first I've taken seriously in any way shape or form. I usually record myself when I'm just plinking around the fret board in the hope of capturing a good lick. Got a couple of other short recordings I like, none polished though.

You might be right about latency being a problem. I deleted a very small part of the third guitar track before it kicks in which seems to have made an improvement, still not sure about the high guitar part which might need tweaking as well. I'd love to figure this out because this is the first song I've ever felt I'd like to actually finish.

Here's the modified version, spot the difference!

http://download-v5.streamload.com/8f5d1844...Cover)%20V2.mp3

By the way, got any suggestions on audio hosting? I'm using mediamax at the minute but it's not very easy to link to. Something similar to photobucket would be good.

Thanks again.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Playing sounds good, you recorded it a little hot and introduced some distortion.

You can consider time timing changes as an artistic artifact, reflecting slight emotional shifts :D . Now, I'm not familiar with Audacity but if it is multitrack, you could also get a little help from a click track. You can include a midi click as one of the tracks and mute the click track when you render the recording.

you recorded it a little hot

This will probably be a dumb question but if you don't ask you don't learn I suppose; what exactly do you mean by that?

Anyway, yeah Audacity includes a click track option but not having any formal (or informal) musical training I’m not really that sure about how to use to properly.

Oh and thanks for the link Zero, seems much better.

Archived