Which one is the best?

Alessandra

Which one is the best?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best guitar for you?

• Fender Stratocaster
    • Gibson Les Paul
    • Others

With the three pickups positioned as they are on the stratocaster you can get an "out of phase" sound that a standard Les Paul does not provide---it is from using two out of the three pickups at the same time. Also, you can actually get a harmonic if you lightly mute a string with your finger right above the middle pickup. I think having the middle pickup positioned where it is helps to give it a more bell--like tone.

What you're referring to is called a pinch harmonic, they're pretty commonly used in metal. I'd describe it as a sort of squeal, sound-wise. Possible on all guitars, not just strats.

And also, using two of three pickups is no different than using two of two pickups...it's just a difference in placement, what kind of pickup you have (single coil vs. humbucking), and just the guitars themselves.

On a Strat, I'm a big fan of the first, fourth, and fifth position. But especially that fourth position clean. Just so pretty to me. And great for rhythm as well. I call it the Robert Cray position.

In his book "Getting Great Guitar Sounds" Michael Ross discussed the deal with the "Out of phase" sound I was referring to:

"It is not necessarry to have a Stratocaster --type guitar or even single-coil pickups to acheive this tone. Two double coil humbuckers can acheive the same effect. However, it is necessary that the pickups be spaced similarly to the Stratocaster bridge and middle or neck and middle pickups. A bridge and neck pickup used simultaneously will never result in that particualr tone no matter what fancy wiring or equalization you attempt. However, many Telecaster owners have had great success by putting a Stratocaster pickup in between their two existing pickups and installing a five-way switch."

My personal preference is to use only the middle pickup on my strat but I do like the "out of phase"---in between setting too. With my standard tele I like using the neck and bridge simultaniously----the middle position on the three-way switch---the majority of the time.

It is all personal preference. I am fully aware that guitar players can be a very opinionated and picky bunch.

Deezer - When you say you enjoy the first, fourth, and fifth position on a Strat, is that counting from neck to bridge, or bridge to neck? I personally count from neck to bridge, and prefer the fourth position (middle & bridge) most.

In his book "Getting Great Guitar Sounds" Michael Ross discussed the deal with the "Out of phase" sound I was referring to:

"It is not necessarry to have a Stratocaster --type guitar or even single-coil pickups to acheive this tone. Two double coil humbuckers can acheive the same effect. However, it is necessary that the pickups be spaced similarly to the Stratocaster bridge and middle or neck and middle pickups. A bridge and neck pickup used simultaneously will never result in that particualr tone no matter what fancy wiring or equalization you attempt. However, many Telecaster owners have had great success by putting a Stratocaster pickup in between their two existing pickups and installing a five-way switch."

My personal preference is to use only the middle pickup on my strat but I do like the "out of phase"---in between setting too. With my standard tele I like using the neck and bridge simultaniously----the middle position on the three-way switch---the majority of the time.

It is all personal preference. I am fully aware that guitar players can be a very opinionated and picky bunch.

Ah, what got me was when you said it came from using two of three pickups, when it's more an issue of spacing and/or position of the pickups.

Deezer - When you say you enjoy the first, fourth, and fifth position on a Strat, is that counting from neck to bridge, or bridge to neck? I personally count from neck to bridge, and prefer the fourth position (middle & bridge) most.

Ah, what got me was when you said it came from using two of three pickups, when it's more an issue of spacing and/or position of the pickups.

Neck to bridge.

Archived