How was Pagey on the night?

From what I have heard and seen of the big night, he was outstanding. How could he not be, after all he is Jimmy Page. But to say he was like in the 70's would be a stretch as they cut the show to a minimum and how could he be expected to be that great with only one night? I hope he makes another go at it, but can a person play with the same intensity at 60 that they did at 30?

Jimmy looked wiped out at the end of the concert

No more so than at the end of the Rain Song in '73 in TSRTS. Always a balance between staggering from the effort and summoning that relentless will for the performance. Dancing on a precipice as he'd say. Sheer exhaustion vs sheer will. Look at Albert Hall on the DVD from 1970. By the time they got to the encores he was nearly falling over, but summoning his strength like a soldier! That's always been Jimmy! :lol:

Where ya been Ev?

From what I've seen on DVD he was inspired and IMO looked like he could have played on all night.

Hardly a spent force! B)

Hey Reg! Nice to see you! I've been around. Mostly lurking in the Musicians' forum because there's so much madness elsewhere. All the Plant/Krause bashing. Who can be bothered with all that nonsense? Especially those few who keep getting banned and mockingly coming back for another "Haha, I'm still here! I'll always be here! You'll never be rid of me! Plant's a selfish..blah blah blah...". What a waste of a so-called fan.

But that aside, yeah, I have no doubt Pagey could've gone till they pried the Gibson from his sweaty, clutching fingers! Like Cameron Crowe said in the liner notes from TSRTS, the band "collapsed in a heap" on the plane. But the energy of a Zeppelin show is like no drug known to man. It's not until the music stops, baby! Then comes the long sleep! :D

Hey Reg! Nice to see you! I've been around. Mostly lurking in the Musicians' forum because there's so much madness elsewhere. All the Plant/Krause bashing. Who can be bothered with all that nonsense? Especially those few who keep getting banned and mockingly coming back for another "Haha, I'm still here! I'll always be here! You'll never be rid of me! Plant's a selfish..blah blah blah...". What a waste of a so-called fan.

But that aside, yeah, I have no doubt Pagey could've gone till they pried the Gibson from his sweaty, clutching fingers! Like Cameron Crowe said in the liner notes from TSRTS, the band "collapsed in a heap" on the plane. But the energy of a Zeppelin show is like no drug known to man. It's not until the music stops, baby! Then comes the long sleep! :D

They've been hibernating long enough!

I agree with your comments on the other thread about "the air of anticipation" in the house.

I remember running on to the field at the Zep concert and looking up at the 100000 watt PA and thinking what the fuck is this!

Then there was Robert solo (with Robbie Blunt et al), the MC came out for the intro and said, "Ladies and Gentleman the VOICE that became a LEGEND".......

When Page and Plant played I was sitting just off to the side, the lights dimmed and there was a silhouette of this bloke ruffling his hair and beside him was this dark shadow with a guitar slung over his shoulder, armed and dangerous!

I turned to my mate and said, "can you fuck'n believe this?".

Yes. Great to see you back, Ev. :D

I've been keeping somewhat of a low profile (going in other sections and elsewhere, too). :)

I'm really tired of those Plant/Krauss bashing (trolls) out there, too. :angry:

Also could do without all of the Polls (of what future this and that) do you believe will happen. All of that really doesn't matter. Ya know? I'm thankful at anything that happens. :)

Pagey poured out his soul at the O2 and that's what I admire about him as an artist, musican and performer.

R B)

In a word: incendiary. The YouTube videos don't really do the concert justice IMO.

Pagey's riffing on Trampled Underfoot was particularly insane (in the good sense).

P.S. Does anyone hear know what 2 songs Paul Rodgers sang with Wyman's band that night? I remember that Paul was absolutely outstanding but I can't remember what songs he did. I imagine they were Bad Company choons but I can't swear to it.

[and yes I did a Forum search]

P.S. Does anyone hear know what 2 songs Paul Rodgers sang with Wyman's band that night? I remember that Paul was absolutely outstanding but I can't remember what songs he did. I imagine they were Bad Company choons but I can't swear to it.

Alright now

Seagull (pretty sure)

From what I have heard and seen of the big night, he was outstanding. How could he not be, after all he is Jimmy Page. But to say he was like in the 70's would be a stretch as they cut the show to a minimum and how could he be expected to be that great with only one night? I hope he makes another go at it, but can a person play with the same intensity at 60 that they did at 30?

How could he be expected to be that great with only one night?can a person play with the same intensity at 60 that they did at 30?

Well after the big show he only drunk cups of tea so i suppose he don't do drugs and smoke cigarettes .maybe he's healthier now than he ever was. :coffee:

How could he be expected to be that great with only one night?can a person play with the same intensity at 60 that they did at 30?

Well after the big show he only drunk cups of tea so i suppose he don't do drugs and smoke cigarettes .maybe he's healthier now than he ever was. :coffee:

He's been quoted as saying it was the first gig he ever played totally sober.

I think it was on par with some of his P&P shows, but definitely not 69-73 Jimmy. Some solos were really good, some were average. His tone however, IMHO was absolutely killer. Song like In My Time of Dying, Dazed, For Your Life, just had so much force and energy behind it, it was great. Definitely go check out the dozens and dozens of videos on youtube.

I agree and I was standing 30 feet from the man so I should know. I think he really kicked ass on the TSRTS.

jason was great, yes he does different fills, no he doesnt have his dads foot, however it had the Zep feel and sound. No other drummer could come that close to the sound.

I wouldn't go that far. This guy (Rick Fedyk) sounds a lot more like Bonzo than Jason does:

(Fool in the rain groove, plus soloing.)

(Bonzo type solo)

I'm a Bonzo freak drummer since 1971, (I'm 46 now) and Fedyk is one of the few people that I've hear nail Bonzo's "Sex groove" as Percy put it so eloquently!

Page was amazing! I was excited to hear him, but in no way did I expect the musical firestorm that he unleashed that night. ALL HAIL JAMES PATRICK PAGE.

If you're in a band, you MUST hear this show, because these three guys in their 60's and a kid in his 40's have a message for you, and it's this: "time for school kids, cuz THIS is how it's done!!"

GTBT: my favorite tune from the 02 gig, hands down. They kicked ass and took names right from the git go. Pagey just plain killed...he soloed his ass off on that song. :notworthy:

IMTOD: all hail the power of a Gibson guitar loaded with P-90 pickups!

No Quarter was simply spectacular. Bonzo was smiling down at Jason on that one!

(Jason, you need to lose those Zildjian cymbals and get some Paiste 2002's like your Dad used. Paiste's are an important part of the LZ sonic fabric, and the Zildjians don't even come close.)

And that short clip from the BBC with them playing BD? Fugeddaboutit! Page's tone was VICIOUS! (Ed Van Halen should be jealous of the "power chords from Hell" tones you let loose on "Black Dog") Jimmy's tech is a badass to be sure.

I didn't expect to be floored by Page's playing at the 02 show, but he reminded the world why he's the archetypal rock guitar GOD.

Jimmy...please...we only have boots so far...we need the 02 show officially released on DVD...including rehearsal footage!

Love ya Pagey!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I would recommend to everyone to take a listen to the recently "leaked" O2 Rehearsal versions of "GTBT", "RnR", "FYL", and "SIBLY"

and then tell me that Jimmy has lost a few steps since his hey-day.

These rehearsal versions are simply amazing and really blow the actual O2 Concert renderings out of the water.

Jimmy plays like the master guitarist he is, take a listen and then judge him.

The O2 Concert was a mild outing compared to the Shepperton Studios raucous and "real" Zeppelin firing on all cylinders.

Archived