How was Pagey on the night?

• 1 year later...

i heard the rehearsal for " for your life "

OMG ! such power & force & Plant sounds AMAZING !

if that could get "airplay" on the radio = it would climb to the top of the "billboard" !!

I would recommend to everyone to take a listen to the recently "leaked" O2 Rehearsal versions of "GTBT", "RnR", "FYL", and "SIBLY"
and then tell me that Jimmy has lost a few steps since his hey-day.

These rehearsal versions are simply amazing and really blow the actual O2 Concert renderings out of the water.
Jimmy plays like the master guitarist he is, take a listen and then judge him.

The O2 Concert was a mild outing compared to the Shepperton Studios raucous and "real" Zeppelin firing on all cylinders.

Brothers, Sisters (comrades),

As an extremely new user to the site, what better topic than one which seems to have peaked about two years ago to delve into; that'll get some attention :).

Five plus years hence from the original performance date can give one a bit more perspective and reflection on the topic question.

To that end, I'd say Mr. Page played very well considering all of the various factor he had working AGAINST him.

The most significant being:

1. A busted finger.

2. No other full-on live performance prior to the event.

3. Being well qualified for AARP benefits.

4. No stage monitors for the first three songs; this dovetails nicely into:

5. The mental baggage from unintentionally providing the audio basis for all those hilarious 'shred' videos as a result of his showing at Live Aid and Atlantic 88.

As a hack, basement band guitarist for 20 years, the specific things JP did that left a positive impression with me from the show were:

1. Some really interesting and NEW phrasing choices (NQ and TU really come to mind).

2. Brevity - whether imposed as a result of his injury, Mr. Plant's insistence or by his own choice it was a great call.

3. In complete and absolute control of his rig; as per usual live, he was all over his tone, volume and toggle when playing through his Lesters...and I can attest that this wasn't out of habit or twitching. He was definitely making sonic choices on the fly and seemed to be getting what he wanted, when he wanted it.

Mr. Page isn't, or perhaps more accurately, cannot 'blaze' across the frets anymore (but then he really hasn't been able to consistently after their amazing 73 Euro tour). The fact that he accomplished what I cited in positives per items 1 and 3 above speaks volumes to me artistically.

I'll stop there because I feel I'm verging on violating that brevity 'thing' I spoke so highly of :)

• 4 months later...

Look at Albert Hall on the DVD from 1970. By the time they got to the encores he was nearly falling over, but summoning his strength like a soldier! That's always been Jimmy! laugh.gif

yea and correct me if im wrong, that show at the RAH was the 2nd FULL show they did there that day!

I would recommend to everyone to take a listen to the recently "leaked" O2 Rehearsal versions of "GTBT", "RnR", "FYL", and "SIBLY"

and then tell me that Jimmy has lost a few steps since his hey-day.

These rehearsal versions are simply amazing and really blow the actual O2 Concert renderings out of the water.

Jimmy plays like the master guitarist he is, take a listen and then judge him.

The O2 Concert was a mild outing compared to the Shepperton Studios raucous and "real" Zeppelin firing on all cylinders.

I AGREE ! more people gotta here these ! they sound better than the originals

= for your life ! = WOW!

Archived