australian fans

slave to zep

The CC Ent. show is excellent, they do a Pink Floyd one too and well worth seeing it. Peter Northcote is the most prolific guitarist in the country, it's guaranteed you will have heard his songs whether on TV or radio.

just got a return email from these guys, they are doing 5 or 6 shows in august / sept, but havent confirned venues yet. im on the mailing list so will keep you informed.

The CC Ent. show is excellent, they do a Pink Floyd one too and well worth seeing it. Peter Northcote is the most prolific guitarist in the country, it's guaranteed you will have heard his songs whether on TV or radio.

hey cactus, i just saw this guy on the sunrise show today. he was demonstrating a new $4000 gibson self-tuning guitar. didnt i see jimmy on youtube doing an interview about a self tuning guitar?

hey cactus, i just saw this guy on the sunrise show today. he was demonstrating a new $4000 gibson self-tuning guitar. didnt i see jimmy on youtube doing an interview about a self tuning guitar?

Yes, it's called a TransPerformance and Jimmy still uses them today, including for Whole Lotta Love at the 02. Instead of a regular bridge, the tension on each string can be changed by a series of electric motors, which are computer controlled. So you can go from Standard EADGBE to Kashmir/White Summer DADGAD with the push of a button, and he uses it for the psychadelic part of WLL.

Yes, it's called a TransPerformance and Jimmy still uses them today, including for Whole Lotta Love at the 02. Instead of a regular bridge, the tension on each string can be changed by a series of electric motors, which are computer controlled. So you can go from Standard EADGBE to Kashmir/White Summer DADGAD with the push of a button, and he uses it for the psychadelic part of WLL.

wow! you really know your guitar stuff cactus. i dont really understand what you said lol, but it doesnt sound like this is a new thing, or is it just an updated version? if you are a muso. are you gigging atm? and also can you answer for me, when did they start doing the psychedelic part in WWL? thanks

wow! you really know your guitar stuff cactus. i dont really understand what you said lol, but it doesnt sound like this is a new thing, or is it just an updated version? if you are a muso. are you gigging atm? and also can you answer for me, when did they start doing the psychedelic part in WWL? thanks

I've never seen one in the flesh but I just took a look at their website after seeing the video with Jimmy. He first started using it in the 90s, he used it on the P. Daddy Duffy Diddy Kashmir/Come With Me track.

They are several thousand dollars to get retrofitted to your guitar (that is, modifying an existing guitar).

I am a muso but only for my own amusement, I just jam with myself of with other muso friends but have no desire to take it professional (nor am i good enough). Maybe an occasional Zep tribute show, that would be cool, but otherwise I can't be bothered for the hard slog of the working musician's life.

The psychadelic part of WLL, as far as I know, was always there from since they recorded it - unless they played it live before they recorded it, but I don't think they did. On the album the main effect is created with the Theremin instrument (you can see him use it in TSRTS).

Then through the 90s, with the TransPerformance, he stopped using the Theremin and started creating the trippy effects with guitar only - detuning the guitar with the computerised mechanism and using different effects pedals.

For some reason I can't remember what he did at the 02 - a combination of both I think.

thanks for that cactus. the bit of WWL i was referring to is the extra bit as played on the DVD. when was that added? i love it.

Not sure exactly which part you're talking about, but WLL became a showcase improvisation piece from the band almost since they began playing it live. on HTWWW you can hear it go through the 50s rock and roll medley etc, all the way through to Knebworth on the DVD which is completely different. It was constantly evolving.

Guys, out of curiousity, anyone of you has ever had the chance to see LZ live? I am talking about LZ concert, not Jimmy's or Robert's. Just curious.

Don't know if this is a pertinent question as I dreally don't have a clue about the age range you fall into.

Mind you, this is not a subtle way to ask how old you are.. :P

Guys, out of curiousity, anyone of you has ever had the chance to see LZ live? I am talking about LZ concert, not Jimmy's or Robert's. Just curious.

Don't know if this is a pertinent question as I dreally don't have a clue about the age range you fall into.

Mind you, this is not a subtle way to ask how old you are.. :P

Yeah Sydney February 27 1972.

I was 18 at the time, do the math! B)

I was a few years too late to see them in Sydney but I have the bootleg.

The best part about it is the comments from the taper and friends in a really broad aussie accent. "Look at that coppa over there with cotton wool in 'is ears"

well im certainly old enough ( 46 in may ) but grew up in central west nsw small town. poor parents, no car or phone...no hope of seeing a concert in the big smoke! not sure that i remember it being on even. i was 10 but had older brothers. all i ever knew about them was the albums. never sew them on tv even. we only had the abc and one regional channel. spose thats why im so hungry for them now. god bless the internet!

Your most welcome, and you mine.

I posted a review of the concert in the Live forum on Feb 16, check it out if you like.

I read your nice and nostalgic review, Reggie29. You are truly a lucky man! :) what can I say..

The best part about it is the comments from the taper and friends in a really broad aussie accent. "Look at that coppa over there with cotton wool in 'is ears"

:lol: It's only rock 'n roll but I like it..the Stones used to sing...

Even if it's loud ... :D

all i ever knew about them was the albums. never sew them on tv even. we only had the abc and one regional channel. spose thats why im so hungry for them now. god bless the internet!

same here...but it's good to have the ones who had the chance to experience this massive chapter in the history of music and who can pass onto us and hopefully the younger generation this legacy.

i think the more i play zep , the more they switch off.

:lol::lol::lol: not all the young kids are like that.

I was at a 21st party on the week end and they had this juke box with mostly dance-techno stuff, but....there was LZ too!!

Well, someone (I just wonder who... ;) put on WHOLE LOTTA LOVE and ...a few of the youngsters were like entranced by the hard riffery and heavy structure of the song that they were asking like mad who this band was.

rock will never die....

Archived