Current music recommendations

Matthew!

stuff they've been playing on the station i listen to: aimee mann's current record, recorded with alot of synthesizers and good songs. -the hold steady, singer sounds like bruce springsteen alot, but the band is heavier than -springsteens bands sound, in general. i've heard some comments that other artists, like wilco and lou reed are reccomending this band called dr. dog, caught a song or two and their good. there is also this band with alot of harmonies, fleet foxes, not sure if thats the correct name though.

Yeah, I like The Hold Steady, too...or at least the one song I've heard from them. I gotta listen to the rest of their album.

Right now I really like Murder by Death. I guess they're somewhere between punk and rockabilly (is that what psychobilly is? I've never quite figured that out), but with more of an Old West or spaghetti western feel (there's a song dedicated to Ennio Morricone, so there you go) than the usual '50s throwback thing. I like the singer. He sounds like Johnny Cash, but not TOO much like Johnny Cash; he's got his own thing going there, too.

Random sidenote: I see that both of those bands are on Vagrant Records, weirdly enough, and I have to say that I'm impressed. Back in the day (like 5 years ago), Vagrant was all crap like Alkaline Trio, Saves the Day, Dashboard Confessional, etc. I mean, they still have those bands, but now they actually have some decent stuff, too.

Yeah, I like The Hold Steady, too...or at least the one song I've heard from them. I gotta listen to the rest of their album.

i think their good too.

-alejandro escovedo-real animal

havent bought the cd yet, but have two shows promoting the album. -always a friend, brother lost soul,sister lost soul, chelsea hotel 78 and people are all really great songs.

THE BLACK KEYS

I think a few of you might appreciate these guys.

I posted a video of them playin' a promotion at a record store... hope you like the suggestion.

The Black Keys are great! I have their Rubber Factory and an old single, The Moan and Have Love. But I will have to purchase their latest effort as well.

THE BLACK KEYS

I think a few of you might appreciate these guys.

I posted a video of them playin' a promotion at a record store... hope you like the suggestion.

There was a member who used to come here who almost practically worships them. She left for some reason, I don't know why. Anyways, they're great blues rock which is probably why I might dig them more than The White Stripes. I think their best is Thickfreakness and Rubber Factory. I though their new one was good but I noticed that it was done in a studio and has a better sound, but I've come to like the original raw sound more so I don't really like Attack and Release that much as others.

You guys must check these dudes out... its nothing like Led Zeppelin, but if you like music, I'm sure you will appreciate these guys. They aren't "new" but they're still largely un-heard of. Don't judge them too quickly.., they're the real deal.

Ween

All My Love (Zeppelin cover) -

The Stallion Pt. 3 -

Yeah, Ween is great. Chocolate & Cheese is quite something. White Pepper is probably their rockiest while 12 Golden Country Greats is my favorite by them. The Pod is messed up, big time.

I see you and I have much of the same taste in music...

That being said.., I'm looking for new groups.., you have any recommendations?

What exactly is it that you're looking for? There's a lot I can recommend, but I don't know would suit your palette.

Well, I'll put my trust in you.

Generally, I'm a sucker for album-oriented groups. If you can't play thru the whole album without throwing up, its not for me. Its also a must that they have the ability to play live without sucking.

I'm in the mood for something a little progressive or experimental, perhaps with a blues twist.

Pretend King Crimson and Ween hooked up and had a musical offspring who's favorite group growing up was Cream.

Any matches? If not, just shoot me a group that plays blues rock.

Oh, well all right.

There's a lot of obvious choices, such as Delaney and Bonnie (even though they're a bit hard to find,) they're not bad on the blues rock, the Steve Miller Band's early stuff is some great blues rock stuff before they went pop/rock (but still in the same essence of blues rock). I'll give ya a band and it's leader to listen to; Ten Years After. Excellent underrated blues rock and Alvin Lee is a beast on the guitar. Most of the time, people would recommend A Space In Time, but you should get either Sssh or Cricklewood Green. And if you like those, get Live at Fillmore East 1970, and Recorded Live.

Boz Scaggs' self titled debut is excellent, Duane Allman plays on the longest song and it's a great album. You can also give Taste and it's guitarist Rory Gallagher a shot. Taste is a bit like ballsy blues rock before it got that way later on. Johnny Winter is obvious for blues rock, he's got edge, but I've only heard so much.

There's a touch of experimental edge that comes with (the) Soft Machine, as they are (to me) the best of the Canterbury scene bands of the late 60s early 70s. Their first 3 albums are mindblowing, and when Kevin Ayers left after their debut he made some good psychedelic stuff. Joy of a Toy is the usual starting point for Kevin as well as "Whatevershebringswesing". Also, Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa are the greats of experimental. Get We Were Only In It For the Money for Frank and if you like more, get Apostrophe(') and he has lots of other great stuff, and for Beefheart? Get Safe as Milk, and if you want avant garde, get Trout Mask Replica.

That's it for now. :)

Oh, well all right.

There's a lot of obvious choices, such as Delaney and Bonnie (even though they're a bit hard to find,) they're not bad on the blues rock, the Steve Miller Band's early stuff is some great blues rock stuff before they went pop/rock (but still in the same essence of blues rock). I'll give ya a band and it's leader to listen to; Ten Years After. Excellent underrated blues rock and Alvin Lee is a beast on the guitar. Most of the time, people would recommend A Space In Time, but you should get either Sssh or Cricklewood Green. And if you like those, get Live at Fillmore East 1970, and Recorded Live.

Boz Scaggs' self titled debut is excellent, Duane Allman plays on the longest song and it's a great album. You can also give Taste and it's guitarist Rory Gallagher a shot. Taste is a bit like ballsy blues rock before it got that way later on. Johnny Winter is obvious for blues rock, he's got edge, but I've only heard so much.

There's a touch of experimental edge that comes with (the) Soft Machine, as they are (to me) the best of the Canterbury scene bands of the late 60s early 70s. Their first 3 albums are mindblowing, and when Kevin Ayers left after their debut he made some good psychedelic stuff. Joy of a Toy is the usual starting point for Kevin as well as "Whatevershebringswesing". Also, Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa are the greats of experimental. Get We Were Only In It For the Money for Frank and if you like more, get Apostrophe(') and he has lots of other great stuff, and for Beefheart? Get Safe as Milk, and if you want avant garde, get Trout Mask Replica.

That's it for now. :)

I've got/had/have heard pretty much all that you recommended there..., I was leaning more towards newer stuff like the 90's and onward..., but I will try Kevin Ayers and Soft Machine, whom I've never heard of/

P.S. I'm convinced we are the same person.

In all seriousness please please please check out:

The Hard Lessons

THE%20HARD%20LESSONS%203.jpg

They are a Detroit Trio that I have seen over 10 times and have since befriended, they are simply mindblowing amazing...

Also another newer band that I have great interest in Is Louis XIV they have a great sound

I also recomend the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, the Black Keys, The White Stripes, WOLFMOTHER and The Raconteurs who have just released a new album today that is "Five on the five"

6821_image_1.jpg

Listen to this man. All his recommendations are perfect. B)

Ween sounded ok, but it was all ruined by the keyboard player in All My Love. I hate those kind of keyboards. Give me a Hammond B3 every day over that shite. The vocalist was really good, nice voice.

Edited by Swede

I'll give ya a band and it's leader to listen to; Ten Years After. Excellent underrated blues rock and Alvin Lee is a beast on the guitar. Most of the time, people would recommend A Space In Time, but you should get either Sssh or Cricklewood Green. And if you like those, get Live at Fillmore East 1970, and Recorded Live.

Speaking of Alvin Lee. Check out the album he made together with Mylon LeFevre called On The Road To Freedom. It's avalible on CD and probably as downloads too. It's recorded in 1973 and features George Harrison and Ron Wood as songwriters and performers. It's a crossover between Alvin's blues influences and Mylon's singer/songwriter influences.

I tried to find the rocking title song on youtube, but failed. I found I can't take it though, which is a nice song too:

I Can't Take It from On The Road To Freedom (studio)

e84264f6sv4.jpg

EDIT: Alright, I found some live stuff with these guys that I've never seen (ain't youtube great?!!!).

All songs are from On The Road To Freedom and features backing musicans like Boz Burrell, Steve Winwood, Ian Wallace, Tim Hinkley, Mike Patto and Jim Capaldi. Carry My Load is fuckin' brilliant!!! :D

Here you go:

Edited by Swede

Hey, this is probably old news to some of you, but I just found out that Rage's Zach de la Rocha has formed a new band with the drummer from the Mars Volta called One Day as a Lion

http://www.nme.com/news/one-day-as-a-lion/37800

Says de la Rocha sings and plays keyboards (which I didn't know he could do) and the drummer, well, drums. No mention of guitar or bass? Seems interesting.

I was wondering if anyone's heard these guys yet?

I loved both Rage Against the Machine and the Mars Volta, so I'm interested in hearing these guys.

Anyone got any information?

In all seriousness please please please check out:

The Hard Lessons

THE%20HARD%20LESSONS%203.jpg

They are a Detroit Trio that I have seen over 10 times and have since befriended, they are simply mindblowing amazing...

Also another newer band that I have great interest in Is Louis XIV they have a great sound

I also recomend the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, the Black Keys, The White Stripes, WOLFMOTHER and The Raconteurs who have just released a new album today that is "Five on the five"

6821_image_1.jpg

a new group from detroit!? thats home-base, must check these guys out... speaking of detroit groups, have you heard of Electric Six? their studio work is stunning, but live, well the lead singer just gets way too fucked up to do them any justice/ i'd reccommend looking them up/// theyre rock fused with dance music, and the lyrics are hysterical (same page as Ween)