Jason's double bass pedal

At the end of one of the songs at the o2 Robert was introducing Jason when he said "and his double bass drum pedal" this is a joke right?

I don't think it was.

His dad is unsurpassed at it. I'm sure Jason can do most of it, but i guess he felt it wasn't worth him making some mistakes when he could get the full sound recreated with DB.

:D

At the end of one of the songs at the o2 Robert was introducing Jason when he said "and his double bass drum pedal" this is a joke right?

at the end of the previous song jason did a short quick triplet roll with the bass drum, something bonzo was famous for using only a single pedal , jason uses a double pedal which enables him to strike the bass drum with both feet , of course robert herd the triplet and was commenting on him doing it with a double pedal versus bonzo able to do it with a single pedal.

Jason has been using a double bass pedal for many years. and he has always been very upfront about it in interviews. He calls it his "cheaters pedal" and has been using it at least as far back as "the disregard of timekeeping".

he also plays "rock and roll" with his hands backwards, using his right hand for the 8th notes on the snare drum...he's been very upfront about not being as "strong as dad"\

doesn't make him a bad guy. all you drummers know that there is more than one motion to make the same noise...

I'm a little shocked i must say to see he wasn't joking it kind of put's the Bonham name to shame.

That's like saying Jimmy/Robert is a cheater for using octave effects. Who cares. If a musician has a tool to make his life easier, without compromising the quality of a song/sound (and more often adding to the song), then why not use it?

Jason's a great drummer. Lots of great drummers use double bass pedals. Like someone else said, no shame in that.

John Bonham didn't use one...because he was JOHN BONHAM.

Most people aren't.

Bonzo could do things that most drummers can't. It's kinda unfair to get down on Jason. It's not "cheating". He's doing what most drummers do when they want to get that kinda sound.

Jason's a great drummer. Lots of great drummers use double bass pedals. Like someone else said, no shame in that.

John Bonham didn't use one...because he was JOHN BONHAM.

Most people aren't.

Bonzo could do things that most drummers can't. It's kinda unfair to get down on Jason. It's not "cheating". He's doing what most drummers do when they want to get that kinda sound.

bonzo didnt use a double pedal because they were not invented back then ,he did have two bass drums for two gigs,then john paul jones hid one of them because he said it made bonzos playing unconprehensible !! as only jpj could say.

at the end of the previous song jason did a short quick triplet roll with the bass drum, something bonzo was famous for using only a single pedal , jason uses a double pedal which enables him to strike the bass drum with both feet , of course robert herd the triplet and was commenting on him doing it with a double pedal versus bonzo able to do it with a single pedal.

I am also surprised by this, I knew he used one in the passed, but i read a story about how he was making his bass pedal really tight in rehearsal, and then making it looser at gigs, so it would feel easier/faster. i thought that was because he was going to use one bass. He has said he doesnt have his fathers foot, but I think he bangs with his hands almost as hard. He sounded awesome on For you Life and The Song remains the same, as far as the bass goes...

I am also surprised by this, I knew he used one in the passed, but i read a story about how he was making his bass pedal really tight in rehearsal, and then making it looser at gigs, so it would feel easier/faster. i thought that was because he was going to use one bass. He has said he doesnt have his fathers foot, but I think he bangs with his hands almost as hard. He sounded awesome on For you Life and The Song remains the same, as far as the bass goes...

Harder, apparently. Although, he has always said he doesn't have the finesse that his father had.

I guess one is better than two is some peoples minds. By the way, John Bonham is still dead.

I think Robert said "double braced" as in most kick drums have feet with retractable spikes to hold them in place. Maybe Bonham kicks so hard that he needs twice the stabilizers. Remember all those parties where the band is playing on a cement floor and someone has to keep their foot on the cinderblock that is holding the bass drum in place?

B)

I think Robert said "double braced" as in most kick drums have feet with retractable spikes to hold them in place. Maybe Bonham kicks so hard that he needs twice the stabilizers. Remember all those parties where the band is playing on a cement floor and someone has to keep their foot on the cinderblock that is holding the bass drum in place?

:blink::unsure: modern drummer magazine feb 2008 has a feature on jasons drums he used at o2 reunion ...... just for those who need pictures !!!. oohh a double pedal was used ..

I thought that was a totally humorous thing and very much like a plant comment, from all the funny comments heard on bootlegs of zeppelin shows. And ofcourse you cant pass that kind of talent down to kids...its one in a million or whatever it is.

Here' s the news, in summary...John Henry Bonham is dead, as has been pointed out previously on this very thread. Jason is his son. Here's the big idea..they're not the same person. It might just be possible that they do things in different ways.Maybe. Could some people here just allow that possibility? Please? Let Jason do what he feels is right and let Jimmy,John Paul and Robert be the judges[if any judges are actually required..] of his performance. They were actually onstage with him.All this" I'm a drummer you know.." stuff looks a little over-assertive[and, paradoxically, insecure but the 2 traits do go together, I'm told,]to say the least. He drummed. You didn't. He did it his way. Cue Paul Anka...

So according to my logic. If the offspring of led zeppelin formed their own band.

Bonzo son Jason would use 2 bass pedals

Jimmy son would normally break 2 fingers, were his father breaks 1 before every tour.

Robert Son Logan would use 2 socks

Jonsey son would be 2 noticeable, and therefore kicked out of the band.

B)

:blink::unsure: modern drummer magazine feb 2008 has a feature on jasons drums he used at o2 reunion ...... just for those who need pictures !!!. oohh a double pedal was used ..

okay. have not seen it, and have done zero investigation. It does sound like Robert says brace not bass.

I know Bonzo kept one of his toms tuned like a bass drum, and would use it as such, so alotta times when you are hearin "double bass" it's not that at all. I watched Jeff Orcheltree explain it, and I have seen it in action.

modern drummer magazine feb 2008 has a feature on jasons drums he used at o2 reunion ...... just for those who need pictures !!!. oohh a double pedal was used ..

well.. there you go.. it would be a massive coincidence for robert to have said 'braced' which, while technically a very usable word.. highly unlikely, especially as there is photographic evidence and reports of jason admitting (not that there's anything to be ashamed of) that he uses a double bass pedal.

either way with conversations like this that always bring out 'youtube' style comments like: 'i can play that' ..so what? a million guitarists,bass players,singers could probably all individually play a lot of the things that well known bands can but did they also join/make a band where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts? nope.. they've just played in their bedroom or played pub gigs..

being part of and contributing to a hugely influential band be it also producing and writing whilst also mesmerising audiences is something that few do..

jason had every right to play his father's drum parts however he saw fit in a way that allowed himself to be comfortable also..

it's understandable from a purists view that there may be shock value when talking 'bonham and bass drum' but i don't think anyone could ever really expect a clone of the great j.b. and all that it would encompass.

:rolleyes:

well.. there you go.. it would be a massive coincidence for robert to have said 'braced' which, while technically a very usable word.. highly unlikely, especially as there is photographic evidence and reports of jason admitting (not that there's anything to be ashamed of) that he uses a double bass pedal.

either way with conversations like this that always bring out 'youtube' style comments like: 'i can play that' ..so what? a million guitarists,bass players,singers could probably all individually play a lot of the things that well known bands can but did they also join/make a band where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts? nope.. they've just played in their bedroom or played pub gigs..

being part of and contributing to a hugely influential band be it also producing and writing whilst also mesmerising audiences is something that few do..

jason had every right to play his father's drum parts however he saw fit in a way that allowed himself to be comfortable also..

it's understandable from a purists view that there may be shock value when talking 'bonham and bass drum' but i don't think anyone could ever really expect a clone of the great j.b. and all that it would encompass.

:rolleyes:

too true , who cares how many pedals and devices anybody uses , its how it sounds that counts ,i will bet that if bonzo was still playing today he would use it.