Jason's double bass pedal

Im pretty sure he uses a Double Kick, Maybe more so on the night of the 02 because of how much was at stake. But i mean his DAD was famous for his kicks and power, that doenst mean he son will excell in the same spots. Still an amazing drummer, up there with Chris slade from Firm... Another great drummer.

Edited by Olipticle

Here' s the news, in summary...John Henry Bonham is dead, as has been pointed out previously on this very thread.

Jason is his son. Here's the big idea..they're not the same person. It might just be possible that they do things in different ways.Maybe. Could some people here just allow that possibility? Please? Let Jason do what he feels is right and let Jimmy,John Paul and Robert be the judges[if any judges are actually required..] of his performance.
They were actually onstage with him.All this" I'm a drummer you know.." stuff looks a little over-assertive[and, paradoxically, insecure but the 2 traits do go together, I'm told,]to say the least. He drummed. You didn't. He did it his way. Cue Paul Anka...

Totally agree with you. While watching the clips from O2, Jason without any doubt in my mind did his dad proud. And as far as him not being the same person as his dad, neither are RP, JP & JPJ the same as they were back in the day. So Jason's having a different style of playing than his mentor only makes him fit right in with the band. Lets be honest and face the realities of life. Every one matures as the years pass & with that there is always change. Aside from the void left with BONZO's passing, they, as Plant stated in 1 of his interviews, you can't go back to what is was, So I say forget going back, it will never happen, just move forward. To me it looked liked they were love'n it, being on stage and jamming together. As for Jason's double bass petal.......... I could give a shit if he used 2 sticks in each hand to get the sound he wants!!!!! What ever it takes so be it. Why the fuss????

Here' s the news, in summary...John Henry Bonham is dead, as has been pointed out previously on this very thread. They were actually onstage with him.All this" I'm a drummer you know.." stuff looks a little over-assertive[and, paradoxically, insecure but the 2 traits do go together, I'm told,]to say the least. He drummed. You didn't. He did it his way. Cue Paul Anka...

Totally agree with you. While watching the clips from O2, Jason without any doubt in my mind did his dad proud. And as far as him not being the same person as his dad, neither are RP, JP & JPJ the same as they were back in the day. So Jason's having a different style of playing than his mentor only makes him fit right in with the band. Lets be honest and face the realities of life. Every one matures as the years pass & with that there is always change. Aside from the void left with BONZO's passing, they, as Plant stated in 1 of his interviews, you can't go back to what is was, So I say forget going back, it will never happen, just move forward. To me it looked liked they were love'n it, being on stage and jamming together. As for Jason's double bass petal.......... I could give a shit if he used 2 sticks in each hand to get the sound he wants!!!!! What ever it takes so be it. Why the fuss????

Very well put, epsecially what I have highlighted. Can you imagine the enormity on Jason's shoulders as he stepped on that stage. Imo, he came, he played, he conquered. I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but at the end of Rock & Roll, his right drumstick breaks in half! He gave it his all that night and he should be praised for his talent and what he brought to the show.

Pre - O2 publicity pic of Jason & kit, with double pedal clearly visible. Fair enough, this one is clear, not yellow like the one on the night, but this is obviously the set-up he was going for, & why bother with a double pedal for a photo shoot if you don't use it normally?

jason_bonham-1.jpg

Pre - O2 publicity pic of Jason & kit, with double pedal clearly visible. Fair enough, this one is clear, not yellow like the one on the night, but this is obviously the set-up he was going for, & why bother with a double pedal for a photo shoot if you don't use it normally?

jason_bonham-1.jpg

This is a promotional shot for Ludwig when Jason re-joined them. He uses this set up in Foreigner.

It might have been a joke, bonhams triplets are my favourite thing and I do them all the time but they aren't that hard. Bonham was a genious and it was so innovative but I don't think Jason would really need a double bass pedal?

JHB triplets do not require a double pedal at all - true.

JHB's quadruplets seperate him from mortal drummers lol!

I use a double pedal always....I'm perfectly capable of pulling off quads with one foot, but in todays musical landscape, and with volume levels being where they are, it is much more comfortable and practical to use the the double pedal system.

I use a double pedal always....I'm perfectly capable of pulling off quads with one foot, but in todays musical landscape, and with volume levels being where they are, it is much more comfortable and practical to use the the double pedal system

well put..

and... i don't think anyone should assume that learning to use a double bass pedal is easy.

the presumtion seems to be that the pedal does all the work for you full stop.

this isn't the case at all.

it may make triplets and quads etc. easier but it takes some learning and practice in the first place to use two pedals effectively.. very much a drumming 'skill'.

it's not like you press a magic button and glorious 16ths roll forth from the kit.. :rolleyes:

I'm chuffed to bits that Jason is now endorsed by Ludwig. What the hell took them so long??

Speaking as a drummer, a lover of classic American drums, a Zeppelin devotee and a guy who was at the 02 that night, it was a joy to hear the live Led Zeppelin with Ludwigs on board rather than a set of poncy DW's.

The words BONHAM and LUDWIG belong together.

As for double pedals - a testament to John Bonham's brilliance as a musician. Even his own flesh & blood (aka Jason) requires two feet to do what his father did with just one....

:D

I'm chuffed to bits that Jason is now endorsed by Ludwig. What the hell took them so long??

Speaking as a drummer, a lover of classic American drums, a Zeppelin devotee and a guy who was at the 02 that night, it was a joy to hear the live Led Zeppelin with Ludwigs on board rather than a set of poncy DW's.

The words BONHAM and LUDWIG belong together.

As for double pedals - a testament to John Bonham's brilliance as a musician. Even his own flesh & blood (aka Jason) requires two feet to do what his father did with just one....

hey if you want a blast go to the "photos" section on the intro page,and look at the 'beat club' 3/69 shots Bonzo playing his Gretsch kit LIVE !!!!!.

:D

hey if you want a blast go to the "photos" section on the intro page,and look at the 'beat club' 3/69 shots Bonzo playing his Gretsch kit LIVE !!!!!.

Yeah, I've seen those. Lord knows what that's all about. Bonham had secured his Ludwig endorsement by that point in the bands career...

Yeah, I've seen those. Lord knows what that's all about. Bonham had secured his Ludwig endorsement by that point in the bands career...

If you look at those shots you see that the backline isn't at all the usual Zep equipment.

Was that from a TV show set or something?

Jason's a great drummer. Lots of great drummers use double bass pedals. Like someone else said, no shame in that.

John Bonham didn't use one...because he was JOHN BONHAM.

Most people aren't.

Bonzo could do things that most drummers can't. It's kinda unfair to get down on Jason. It's not "cheating". He's doing what most drummers do when they want to get that kinda sound.

I was reading that Jason would tighten his bass pedal real tight when he would practice, while trying to gain his Fathers right foot....(which is a good idea)

gotta tip your cap to him for making such a great effort for the cause.

I'm not sure if John tuned one of his floor toms to sound like a bass, and then use it to sound like double bass. But I know Dave Grohl uses this technique, not often, but he uses it well. Here are a couple of examples:

On that one, he does it for the chorus. He combines the crash/ride with floor tom, bass, and snare. It's not easy. And NO it is NOT double bass! :lol:

Now, on this one, it's damn clear from the beginning. It's just incredible, how he can do that. Such coordination.

Jesus, I can barely play consistently at 170 BPM o_O

That would be some feat....Billy Cobham could do it I think :P

It's been done quite a bit actually, there's a whole bass drum speed culture amongst kids on Youtube. Some don't even play drums, but sit there with a double pedal, a kick drum trigger pad and a metronome!  There's a vid of some guy doing 290 BPM on there as well.

I've seen that done in person, it's not that impressive when the trigger supplies the velocity, and you set your beater to stay about 2" of off the drumhead. ;)

What is this obsession with playing music as fast as possible?

yeah! ..the whole 'math-core' thing.. i'm sure it's pleasing to someone's ear and each to their own but...

if i wanted to watch someone pound a treadmill, lift weights and stare at themselves in an extremely insular way in the mirror.. i'd go to the gym.

• 3 weeks later...
Bonham was a genious and it was so innovative but I don't think Jason would really need a double bass pedal?

I think Jason uses it on the fill at the end Rock N Roll.

Michael Lee (page & plant) never had a twin kick pedal, now he did a dam fine job with those Zep tracks, very creative and a real powerhouse as well.

kt1

Jason has been using a double bass pedal for many years. and he has always been very upfront about it in interviews. He calls it his "cheaters pedal" and has been using it at least as far back as "the disregard of timekeeping".

he also plays "rock and roll" with his hands backwards, using his right hand for the 8th notes on the snare drum...he's been very upfront about not being as "strong as dad"\

doesn't make him a bad guy. all you drummers know that there is more than one motion to make the same noise...

Couldn't agree more. Love your username by the way! There's no shame in using a double pedal. So what? So the old man had an amazing and impossible right foot! :lol:

You get comfortable with what you get used to, and you use it to get the job done. Whatever it takes.

Jason did a fantastic job! So he used a double pedal. I say big fucking deal. Was the performance not brilliant? Did the band not fucking prove it wasn't stoned hype legend, and put the Live Aid and Atlantic shit to rest???? Hell yeah they did! That's all that matters.

I couldn't care less if he used eleven pedals.

yeah! ..the whole 'math-core' thing.. i'm sure it's pleasing to someone's ear and each to their own but...

if i wanted to watch someone pound a treadmill, lift weights and stare at themselves in an extremely insular way in the mirror.. i'd go to the gym.

:lol:

Couldn't agree more. Love your username by the way! There's no shame in using a double pedal. So what? So the old man had an amazing and impossible right foot! :lol:

You get comfortable with what you get used to, and you use it to get the job done. Whatever it takes.

Jason did a fantastic job! So he used a double pedal. I say big fucking deal. Was the performance not brilliant? Did the band not fucking prove it wasn't stoned hype legend, and put the Live Aid and Atlantic shit to rest???? Hell yeah they did! That's all that matters.

I couldn't care less if he used eleven pedals.

yay hey well said ,how good is jason now, just looking at some foreigner pics miss h put up from 78 the drummer had ' THREE bass drums ' hell jason can do all that with one .......