Jason's double bass pedal

What are your thoughts on Ginger Baker? He's definitely in Bonham's league, I'd say.

Great Drummer.. more jazzy than John Bonham. looser feel. tinny drum sound..

I don't like him near as much as Bonham. But, he was someone John admired a great deal and he was influenced by Baker so yeah I'd put him up there...

Ginger Baker is a great drummer, but he is not in the same league as Bonham.

The crossovers/bass drum work/speed/feel/power - John Bonham had it all. There are other superb rock drummers, but none compare.

• 1 year later...

I'm willing to bet Jason is more than capable of play the doubles JHB used to do between toms and bass drum with just one foot, hell even I can. However, I doubt he's capable of doing it with the same volume on each hit that JHB used to do, I'm willing to bet that it's more of a comfort thing than anything. The only thing I don't like about it is that with double bass you have less control of the high-hat and JHB always used to do eight notes keeping time on the high-hat and in Good-time Bad-times it was especially prominent, listening to Jason does make me miss that sound. Its part of what set John apart from the rest of the pack. I have to say though that the way Jason plays with such huge strokes and such a huge sound is very reminiscent of Bonzo. Jason also plays with much better posture than John which will probably make some of you on here wanna hunt me down, but its true, john usually looked like he was about to break his spine in two...

I'd say technique wise Ian Paice would school John Bonham, a lot of drummers would actually. What made john special was just the way he played so powerfully even listening to him play a simple straight eights on high-hat with kick on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4 makes me wanna cry tears of joy. No drummer has ever matched that sort of effect. John had great limb independence and a great right foot and he knew how to make a good sound.

• 1 month later...

Not a joke at all. He used it a lot during Black Dog. Just remember though, it's JASON Bonham, not JOHN Bonham, there is a big, big difference.

What are the differences you hear? I hear a lot of his father in him but do hear his twist on the style. What specific differences do you hear? Oh and just to be clear im being sincere not patronizing

• 2 months later...

:D

bonzo didnt use a double pedal because they were not invented back then ,he did have two bass drums for two gigs,then john paul jones hid one of them because he said it made bonzos playing unconprehensible !! as only jpj could say.

Hopefully someone out there has heard the same tthing I heard. I am a guitarist not a drummer, but I have never heard anything like this before. It is on the LZ DVD, disc #2, select interviews and promos, then select promos. The'fillersong' here is The Song Remains the Same. Bonzo is incredible on this! I have never heard him play this fast before! No overdubbing has been done on this version. 

Two questions for you drummers, could this be double bass drums? The footage is to grainy to tell? 

Second question, when and where was this concert and is there a soundboard recording of it?

Thanks, I have always been intrigued by just this very small snippit of perfection, it's a shame it wasn't of better quality so as to be used in the DVD in its entirety.?

• 4 years later...

Jason, God luv him, is a very modern sounding drummer. He plays like a lot of guys who came up in the 80's, double pedal and all.

Now before I make this next comment let me say that to me Jason is the ONLY drummer who should ever be allowed to play those songs under the Led Zeppelin name. He is a 'Made Man' in my book. He is family to the other guys and has Bonham blood in his veins. I met him at NAMM a few weeks after the 02 and he was super cool.

(I do think that Chad Smith would have been a great choice. Not Dave Grohl. Smith has the funky feel needed for Zeppelin)

But know this...at the O2 he didn't play any of the famous John Bonham drum licks that made JB so famous. Outside of the broken bass drum triplets there was NOT ONE. None of the LRB linear fills. None of the 77' snare rolls. The "Rock and Roll" intro was wack! None of the "top 10 Bonzo fills' that guys like Bonzoleum teach. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS5At65PSnU).

The drum sound was very modern (not really his fault) but what really bummed me out was the use of the trashy sounding Zildjian ride. That sound was very hip in 2007 (trashy rides had more high frequency sizzle). He plays Paiste 2002's now like Bonzo did from 77 on. I really wish he had pulled out the Ludwig Green Sparkle kit and the old cymbals that Pat Bonham still has at her house. 

It looks like in recent years he has added some of those Bonzo trademark parts, but there was none of it at 02.

Anyway, that's my "how many drummers needed to change a light bulb" rant.

On 9/2/2015 at 5:39 PM, Moddey Dhoo said:

Hopefully someone out there has heard the same tthing I heard. I am a guitarist not a drummer, but I have never heard anything like this before. It is on the LZ DVD, disc #2, select interviews and promos, then select promos. The'fillersong' here is The Song Remains the Same. Bonzo is incredible on this! I have never heard him play this fast before! No overdubbing has been done on this version. 

Two questions for you drummers, could this be double bass drums? The footage is to grainy to tell? 

Second question, when and where was this concert and is there a soundboard recording of it?

Thanks, I have always been intrigued by just this very small snippit of perfection, it's a shame it wasn't of better quality so as to be used in the DVD in its entirety.?

That clip is from the LA Forum, June 21rst 1977. It is from the famous bootleg "Listen to this Eddie". 

As for double bass drums Bonham used them for a few shows in the Summer of 1969, but never again. He was just that good!

On 9/2/2015 at 7:39 PM, Moddey Dhoo said:

No soundboard, only the excellent audience tape. 

The footwork is impressive but it's actually not that difficult if you practice it . He was playing quick doubles , which is a signature of his right foot technique. You can hear it also in Achilles Last Stand, Dazed and Confused live and Whole Lotta Love live etal.  Good Times Bad Times is more challenging. The only studio track I think he may have used two bass drums for was Bonzo's Montreux.

Here is a demo that I did of that version

• 2 years later...