Led Zeppelin Won't Release Comeback Concert DVD

Led Zeppelin are to disappoint fans by not releasing a DVD or CD of their one-off comeback concert.

Thousands of music lovers who could not get tickets for their O2 gig in December had been hoping they could watch or listen at home.

But guitarist Jimmy Page said: "It was recorded - but we didn't go in with the express purpose of making a DVD to come out at Christmas, or whatever." Page said a future release "at some distant point" was remotely possible. B)

Led Zeppelin are to disappoint fans by not releasing a DVD or CD of their one-off comeback concert.

Thousands of music lovers who could not get tickets for their O2 gig in December had been hoping they could watch or listen at home.

But guitarist Jimmy Page said: "It was recorded - but we didn't go in with the express purpose of making a DVD to come out at Christmas, or whatever." Page said a future release "at some distant point" was remotely possible. B)

I'm trying to figure out what the reluctance is here. Do they not like the performance? The way they look?

What's wrong with this picture?

Perhaps Jimmy feels that if people buy a DVD of the 02 Arena show, they won't be as likely to go see them if they tour???

I don't think they'll have any trouble selling tickets for any show whether or not a dvd is released of the O2 show. It could only help it. May want to tie this in with video from other shows if they decide to go on tour perhaps.

These things are very time consuming and if the people he prefers to have do it aren't available at present it necessitates a delay. I'd bet my last dollar it will be released one

day, but he may also wish to release follow-ups to the Led Zeppelin DVD first. It's only

been three months since the last note rang out; patience please!

These things are very time consuming and if the people he prefers to have do it aren't available at present it necessitates a delay. I'd bet my last dollar it will be released one

day, but he may also wish to release follow-ups to the Led Zeppelin DVD first. It's only

been three months since the last note rang out; patience please!

Kevin Shirley may not be available at the time. He did such a great job on the 2003 Dvd and TSRTS dvd remaster as well. There's much more footage from Knebworth and Earls Courts. Including some performances from 1977 would be a good idea. Preferably from Houston and not Seattle as it was the better performance of the two. Plus any other footage we may not know about, but perhaps someone such as you Steve A. Jones may know about. You are always right on and seem to have that inside tip on great info and all things Led Zeppelin. Keep it up.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record- or cd for those of you born after 1985- but c'mon!! Haven't the fans been screwed enough already? NO ticket for O2, NO tour, NO dvd,- what's next? Is it just me, or am I the only one who feels slighted? Zeppelin USED to be about the fans. I don't know what happened, or why. Maybe if Robert Plant agreed to tour with them beyond his "must be for a really really good reason" conditions, then maybe the band might care about the fans again. If Peter Grant were alive, he'd kick some Percy butt back to Birgmingham PDQ, and remind ol' Perce where he came from and how lucky he was to get out of there... sorry, here I go again....

:(

I have it on DVD. It isn't official though, great performance. I can't see why Jimmy doesn't want to release it. To each his own I guess.

Yeah we all have a boot copy by now, but there were no less than 10 cameramen at the O2 show so what gives? It'll look great once editing gets a chance behind the controls. Jimmy's just gotta let go sometimes. He has control issues, but I do see why, considering TSRTS was such a shambles upon first release.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record- or cd for those of you born after 1985- but c'mon!! Haven't the fans been screwed enough already? NO ticket for O2, NO tour, NO dvd,- what's next? Is it just me, or am I the only one who feels slighted? Zeppelin USED to be about the fans. I don't know what happened, or why. Maybe if Robert Plant agreed to tour with them beyond his "must be for a really really good reason" conditions, then maybe the band might care about the fans again. If Peter Grant were alive, he'd kick some Percy butt back to Birgmingham PDQ, and remind ol' Perce where he came from and how lucky he was to get out of there... sorry, here I go again....

:(

I think you're completely wrong about them not thinking about their fans. If they toured, did crappy show because there not completely into it, set high prices for tickets, and offer them to anybody, (which means scalpers too) would that make them care more about their fans or not. If peter grant was alive, he would not do shit, he never pushed anyone, including plant in 77 and 79,80 when his head was not in it. and he surely didn't pushed jonsey back in 73. He did talk to them and made sure they got what they wanted to happen. Should Page go back, and do a half ass job on the O2 video so he could just make millions, so some fans would be delighted. Zep isn't selling caskets, they aren't selling their songs to TV shows, they ain't putting the Coca Cola symbol on their dragon suits. Zeppelin never ever screwed the fans. Everybody was eligible to get tickets, it didn't matter if you were rich or poor. It was a charity concert. I think it was the fairest way to hand out tickets. Doy uo think it would be more fair to fans if they just auctioned them off to the highest bidder. So fucking what if your favorite band in the world decided not to tour. For the $15 you paid for each CD entitles you to those songs on those Cd's,and nothing else.

If Zep ever turned into a joke like the Stones, The Who and The Police are to some people. I would burn every CD i own.

Jimmy never said it was a 'remote' possibility. This is a perfect example of the press creatively filling in the blanks of whatever he says, and assuming that if something doesn't happen now (like a tour) it won't EVER happen, which is a more sensational headline than the truth.

Yeah we all have a boot copy by now, but there were no less than 10 cameramen at the O2 show so what gives? It'll look great once editing gets a chance behind the controls. Jimmy's just gotta let go sometimes. He has control issues, but I do see why, considering TSRTS was such a shambles upon first release.

Funny how Zeppelin were rehearsing for a couple months before the O2 show and nobody even knew about it. Nobody really believed it until it became official not long before the actual show.

Thats how these guys work, they really know how to keep things quite.

For all we know Page and Shirley could be working on the O2 DVD at this very moment.

48 tracks of digital audio and a state of the art video production.

They also have the full production rehearsal recorded to use for editing where needed.

Page must be dying to sink his teeth into this, how could he not, they played fucking great and it was a monumental performance.

I know! Jimmy's got some nerve insisting he continue to be the primary steward of his band, it's back catalog and it's legacy. Why can't the old geezer step aside and let the

corporate suits decide these things. They've always had the best interests of the fans

at heart.

And about that infernal TSRTS! One of the most popular cult films of it's era and still a

best seller 30 years after it's original release.

Jimmy never said it was a 'remote' possibility. This is a perfect example of the press creatively filling in the blanks of whatever he says

Your absolutely correct. We saw the same thing in Japan: "Zep Ready for World Tour!"

It's yellow journalism. Tabloid trash. He's doing the press a favor just to sit in the same

room with them. With rare exception these hacks don't deserve the honor. Having seen

the astounding success of the Led Zeppelin DVD, I think he knows what he wants and what he's doing. It's going to go multi-platinum whenever it comes out. The suits can stick their Christmas Release concerns up their asses. It's not Led Zeppelin's job to save the music industry.

Your absolutely correct. We saw the same thing in Japan: "Zep Ready for World Tour!"

It's yellow journalism. Tabloid trash. He's doing the press a favor just to sit in the same

room with them. With rare exception these hacks don't deserve the honor. Having seen

the astounding success of the Led Zeppelin DVD, I think he knows what he wants and what he's doing. It's going to go multi-platinum whenever it comes out. The suits can stick their Christmas Release concerns up their asses. It's not Led Zeppelin's job to save the music industry.

I couldn't agree more.

I know! Jimmy's got some nerve insisting he continue to be the primary steward of his band, it's back catalog and it's legacy. Why can't the old geezer step aside and let the

corporate suits decide these things. They've always had the best interests of the fans

at heart.

And about that infernal TSRTS! One of the most popular cult films of it's era and still a

best seller 30 years after it's original release.

Damn, man. You really know how to hit the nail on the head.

Including some performances from 1977 would be a good idea. Preferably from Houston and not Seattle as it was the better performance of the two.

I'm sorry, but is it a fact that the Houston show was videotaped? And if so, who has seen it and what do they have to say about it? Very curious about this.

Thanks

This from Hugh Jones of Proximity (an out of print Led Zeppelin fanzine):

The Houston 1977 Video

(Pro-Shot Video from The Summit, Houston, Texas 5/21/77)

The Story: Like other arenas around the country (including the Capital Centre in Landover and Seattle's Kingdome), The Houston Summit has its own closed circuit television system, and Zeppelin's performance was reportedly televised within the building during the show.

In the late-eighties, a major record dealer in Texas (NOT connected with Led Zeppelin collectibles) told a few collectors that video recordings had been made of three major concerts broadcast via the Summit's closed-circuit system, including the Led Zeppelin show. The story goes that the tapes are in the possession of the company which operated the video system for the building, and specifically in the hands of its owner, who was described as a "former professional athlete" in the city.

Analysis: The source of the story was good, as the dealer was in no way connected to the LZ collecting community. The specific detail about the "professional athlete" also lends an air of authenticity to the tale, as did his specific mention of at least one other artist (The Who) for which video tapes are supposed to exist. All that said, this rumor never resonated much beyond the original source.

Does It Exist?: Perhaps. The tale sounds good enough to be true, but no pro-shot videos of any artist (with the exception of Prince) are known to have come from the Summit

Is there any first hand accounts of there actually being a closed circuit feed of the show. I know the tape debate is still a mystery, but was zeppelin filmed?

None that i am aware of. It's worth noting there were other venues on the tour with closed circuit capabilities but no Led Zeppelin footage is rumored to exist from them.

Personally, I think the fact NO tapes have surfaced from The Summit besides Prince, a more modern contemporary performer, speaks volumes. Besides I doubt Peter Grant would have permitted it. There are three fan reviews posted in the timeline and none

make any comment to having seen big screen videos employed. Hardly conclusive,

but there you have it.

I believe if Houston '77 exists at all it exists in Jimmy's tape vault as they did do some filming for a '77 tour documentary which never came about. I believe there is photographic proof film cameras were used at The Pontiac Silverdome. It's been a long time since I looked into any of this so I could be slightly mistaken.

Does It Exist?: Perhaps. The tale sounds good enough to be true, but no pro-shot videos of any artist (with the exception of Prince) are known to have come from the Summit

I guess they weren't aware of the Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Eagles, Kiss, etc. videos that exist from Houston '76-'77.

:rolleyes:

I think you're completely wrong about them not thinking about their fans. If they toured, did crappy show because there not completely into it, set high prices for tickets, and offer them to anybody, (which means scalpers too) would that make them care more about their fans or not. If peter grant was alive, he would not do shit, he never pushed anyone, including plant in 77 and 79,80 when his head was not in it. and he surely didn't pushed jonsey back in 73. He did talk to them and made sure they got what they wanted to happen. Should Page go back, and do a half ass job on the O2 video so he could just make millions, so some fans would be delighted. Zep isn't selling caskets, they aren't selling their songs to TV shows, they ain't putting the Coca Cola symbol on their dragon suits. Zeppelin never ever screwed the fans. Everybody was eligible to get tickets, it didn't matter if you were rich or poor. It was a charity concert. I think it was the fairest way to hand out tickets. Doy uo think it would be more fair to fans if they just auctioned them off to the highest bidder. So fucking what if your favorite band in the world decided not to tour. For the $15 you paid for each CD entitles you to those songs on those Cd's,and nothing else.

If Zep ever turned into a joke like the Stones, The Who and The Police are to some people. I would burn every CD i own.

You've got issues. And yes, they did sell out- it was to Chrysler some years ago- they allowed their song "Rock and Roll" with their vocals and guitar to be used in those god-awful commercials. Eat that.

I guess they weren't aware of the Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Eagles, Kiss, etc. videos that exist from Houston '76-'77.

Are they all closed-circuit feeds or band-produced videos? If they are genuine closed-circuit feeds they probably were not in circulation at the time the original article was written (1993).

yes, they did sell out- it was to Chrysler some years ago- they allowed their song "Rock and Roll" with their vocals and guitar to be used in those god-awful commercials. Eat that.

It was for the 'Break Through' promotional campaign for Cadillac, which is owned by General Motors. Cadillac's connection to rock n' roll goes back at least 50 years. It

meant so much to Robert he personally visited the GM World HQ on Cadillac's 100th anniversary and brought his own camcorder to film it. I know because I was there.

"Well she's long, she's sleek and she's black. Baby step inside my Cadillac".

-- from the song 'Cadillac' on The Firm's (Jimmy Page) album 'Mean Business' (1986)

First, I know it's a letdown for many many fans around the world......

But... IF, they later re-group for some shows.....this Year, Next Year.....

Then, we could and should expect them to film every show, and, when we get a concert, with all cylinders firing, without feedback issues, etc., then, that show could be released on DVD.

Or, they could record every show, and, release a "Best Of" culled from all of the shows.

I would be willing to wait for such a release.

Until then... there's always You Tube !

Archived