Other bassist whom I like also.

Mr. John Entwistle

Mr. Justin Chancellor

Mr. Stanley Clarke

Mr. Les Claypool

Mr. Geddy Lee

Mr. Jack Bruce

James Jamerson is by far the best

Jonesy, Entwistle, Waters, or whoever else you want to insert are all kissing that guys feet. Every major bassist will tell you who the best bassist ever was. It's Jamerson and it's not even close.

Willie Dixon was a great bassist also.

John considered himself a bass-guitarist rather than a bass player.

GP00XS.jpg

I believe a bassist is there for rhythm and for the low end. So when i considered best bassist, John Entwistle is not on top of my list, but he is as technically sound as Jaco, Stu Hamn, and Victor Wooden, but i considered them to be guitarist who play bass. nothing wrong with that. But even Bassist who leads their songs and bands like Les Claypool and Justin Chancellor tool, their bass lines is all rhythm. I never been impresed by any bass solo (except one from Claypool), but there are some basslines that I shit my pants every time i hear it. James Jamerson wrote the best line for my girl and it's pretty simple, but that bassline makes that song.

Jonas Hellborg....

take a look at this Youtube clip

There's no denying he's very talented, but he's also the ultimate example of what playing style I hate the most. I love the bass as an instrument, but I can't stand that kind of playing.

Here's a couple of my favourites:

Jack Casady of the Jefferson Airplane. I love his style and he's got a great sound.

Leo Lyons of Ten Years After.

John Entwistle, The Who.

I believe a bassist is there for rhythm and for the low end. So when i considered best bassist, John Entwistle is not on top of my list, but he is as technically sound as Jaco, Stu Hamn, and Victor Wooden, but i considered them to be guitarist who play bass. nothing wrong with that. But even Bassist who leads their songs and bands like Les Claypool and Justin Chancellor tool, their bass lines is all rhythm. I never been impresed by any bass solo (except one from Claypool), but there are some basslines that I shit my pants every time i hear it. James Jamerson wrote the best line for my girl and it's pretty simple, but that bassline makes that song.

The bassist is there because is the base, with the drummer.

The only band who can play good music without a bassist was The Doors.

JPJ plays a very good bass solo (well not realy solo) is The Lemon Song.

And if I put Waters on first place, sorry:

1° JPJ

James Jamerson is by far the best

Jonesy, Entwistle, Waters, or whoever else you want to insert are all kissing that guys feet. Every major bassist will tell you who the best bassist ever was. It's Jamerson and it's not even close.

Willie Dixon was a great bassist also.

James Jamerson may be inventive and ground breaking, and it's probably thanks to him the most 60's/70's rock band bass players play the way they play. But that doesn't make the later bass players less talented.

Entwistle for example, did his thing and did it really great. He's bass appeals more to me than the bass in any Motown song, but that's not only because of his playing, it's a combination of playing, sound and mix between the different instruments in the songs.

wrong

"I was never a bass player. I've never played anything. I play guitar a bit on the records and would play bass, because I sometimes want to hear the "sound" I make when I hit a string on a bass with a pick or my finger; it makes a different sound than anybody else makes, to me. But I've never been interested in playing the bass. I'm not interested in playing instruments and I never have been."

- Roger Waters

"To say that Roger Waters is a great bass player would be utter blindness, or actually unbelievable deafness. He was a capable, efficient bassist and one of rock's best composers. The reason his style of playing interests me is his way of fitting the bass parts into the songs: riffs like the slow, very simple CwtAE, the bass intro of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" help to build the mood, the atmosphere only Pink Floyd has. On the other hand, the bass playing on his solo albums doesn't quite come out in the same way as he seems to put all of his energy into writing songs all by himself."

- Jerome Melancon, bassist who transcribes Roger's bass parts for a Roger Waters tribute site!

Best Bassist that I have seen.

1. Chris Squire from Yes

2.Stanley Clarke

3.John Entwistle -the Who

4.John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin but if i was to pick multi talented keyboards,Mandolin,Guitar,arrangement,songwriting, etc John Paul would be higher.

5.Leo Lyons - Ten Years After.

All of these Gentlemen could switch spot's easily. But I believe Chris Squire would rise to the Top every time.He is freakin Amazing.

The reason his style of playing interests me is his way of fitting the bass parts into the songs: riffs like the slow, very simple CwtAE, the bass intro of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" help to build the mood, the atmosphere only Pink Floyd has.

Not that I'm a Waters fan, but isn't that great musicianship?

Archived