Top Three Bassist

eagle87

Not that I'm a Waters fan, but isn't that great musicianship?

Sure, from a composition standpoint, he did what was necessary. But I take this "top three bassists" list to mean great technical bass players, or the most skilled players, which Waters certainly is not.

Sure, from a composition standpoint, he did what was necessary. But I take this "top three bassists" list to mean great technical bass players, or the most skilled players, which Waters certainly is not.

Yes, but I think a skilled bass player is a player that plays what's best for the song. A technical bass player is not necessarily a good bass player in my opinion. I guess my point is that I don't think there's an answer to who's the best bass player..

Great discussion - bass players are often not given much notice or praise. I really like most of the names mentioned so far, especially Entwistle and Squire. But having seen Jack Casady so many times, standing within 10 feet at 2 recent shows, makes him a personal favorite.

The bassist is there because is the base, with the drummer.

The only band who can play good music without a bassist was The Doors.

JPJ plays a very good bass solo (well not realy solo) is The Lemon Song.

And if I put Waters on first place, sorry:

1° JPJ

Belive me, I know what the Lemon song is.

The Doors they had really good basslines, done on the keyboards.

Roger Waters is a good Bassist, but i don't think hes even close to be one of the top bass player. He really does know how to set the rythym and mood with the bass, and he writes great songs, but if you put Waters in a band like Zep, Who, Rush, or Yes. He would clearly be the weak link.

I thought Gilmour played that intro...

Actually, I'm pretty sure he did.

:mellow:

Gilmour played a lot of bass, especially on The Wall. In bands like The Who or Zep, you wouldn't have had anyone else taking any bass duties away from Entwistle or Jones.

There was a picture of Huckabee in the paper, and I thought the bass looked familiar - is it the same as what Phil Lesch (Grateful Dead) plays?

As far I saw, ueses what available at the time, but ive seen him played with a certian Alembic on more than a few occaisions.

Im not sure on Phil Lesh, he did or still does use Alembics, but the one Ive seen him use the most is a Quantum 6 string wich is a custom bass. Custom basses aer expensive, they cheapest Alembic you can buy is $5,000 and if you bought the last Alembic Jonsey used, that would cost $25,000. Carl Thomson Basses (Les Calypool) is usally cheaper at around $2,000.

There's something unique about Alembics - special circuitry or controls for each string?

Well, you can adjust the gain on each string. They are just well built, they have exotic Woods, Impressive inlays with Mother of pearl. The electronics is pretty amazing stuff. Some have a stereo guitar jack so you can run one pickup to a bass amp and the other to a guitar amp, depending on the tone that you want. I'm still tying to figure out what all the knobs do, but my guess you can cut/boost Treble/high mid/low mid/bass and you can adjust which frequency they cut and boost at. I assume you also can have a Passive/active pickups switch and series/parallel switch. You can get LED lights or lasers put in as fret markers. Most of thier bass bodies have thier own style, but nothing to crazy like some of the others Ive seen. JPJ, and John Entwistle are Alembic users. Jonsey has switched to Hugh Manson, but they are built just like his Alembics.

From some of the same ol' names that keep popping up in this thread one might get the distinct impression that all anyone listens to here is "classic rock".

Im sorry Pete Wentz inspired me to play the bass more, because if that hack can make it, then i have a hell of a shot.

But names like James Jamerson, Jaco, Stu Hamn, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten and Justin Chancellor are not in a typical classic rock band. I just don't think the bass has grown much since Les Claypool. There are guys i like now, but there no diffent from classic rock guys, like Mr.Mike Gordon (Phish) and Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band). There is some great bassist out there. (JPJ now is not the same JPJ of Zep.) but i think bassist get lost in the mix now.

From some of the same ol' names that keep popping up in this thread one might get the distinct impression that all anyone listens to here is "classic rock".

Not at all.Check out NOMEANSNO.

With what I've heard over the last 20 years (with very few exceptions), the constant is a general lack of musicianship.

It seems excessive volume without tone and playing fast was the only requirement for some players.

It seems that the bands with a classic rock tilt like REM, RHCP, V R and more recently Wolfmother have tried to restore the fundamentals of the genre.

Funny the punks called classic rockers dinosaurs, ironically dinosaurs never seem to go out of fashion, unlike punk.

Are we talking about 4, 8 or 12 string?

12_string_bass.jpg

I do like how you went 4,8,12 no 5 stringers or guitarist wannabe 6 stringers. Does anybody know anybody else that used double strung basses other than JPJ. Specter makes a nice 8 string for $500. it might be a nice addition.

Archived