I just finished reading Hammer Of The Gods...

I just finished reading Hammer Of The Gods the books by Stephen Davis about Led Zeppelin and it was great. I first read his book about Jim Morrison and it was great too so i decided to pick up HOTG. I wondering if anyone else on here read it and if you thought it was good and if it was accurate. I am only 19 so between your guys stories and what i have read is the only thing i know about Zep since I wanst there in the time they call the 70s. I wish I would have been...

I just finished reading Hammer Of The Gods the books by Stephen Davis about Led Zeppelin and it was great. I first read his book about Jim Morrison and it was great too so i decided to pick up HOTG. I wondering if anyone else on here read it and if you thought it was good and if it was accurate. I am only 19 so between your guys stories and what i have read is the only thing i know about Zep since I wanst there in the time they call the 70s. I wish I would have been...

The Zeppelin members hate that book and say its not accurate

The Zeppelin members hate that book and say its not accurate

Next on your list will be Richard Cole's "Stairway To Heaven", which the members of Led Zeppelin despise even more than "Hammer Of The Gods".

I thought it was an interesting read, although by no means should it be your exclusive source. Hard core zep fans say the book exagerates the sordid aspects of their existence. I like the fact that the author expresses appreciation for their music.

Yeah my bf and I found that Stephen Davis had an axe to grind.

I did like how he appreciates the music, too... and just when you thought things were utterly deplorable... he interjects something like Robert overheard saying, "God, I miss my wife." After recounting (supposedly) a tale of a plump groupie... eh... OK...

I love Hammer of the Gods! When I was 19 that book and The Song Remains the Same was pretty much the only peephole we had into the world of Led Zeppelin (I'm 37 now). I've got a worn-out paperback copy and also a really nice library edition that I bought second hand. Got Richard Cole's book in paperback and hardback, too, and met him in person once. Anyhow...yes, great book. The Celebration books are also great.

It's more of a "historical novel" than anything else. That's what makes it so entertaining to read vs. just a collection of factoids. I thought he did a good job of making the Zep story a narrative with a dramatic arc to it. But the arc naturally ends around the time when Jimmy avoids death and starts The Firm. From that point onward the book kind of reverts to a simple collection of facts and dates.

I love Hammer of the Gods! When I was 19 that book and The Song Remains the Same was pretty much the only peephole we had into the world of Led Zeppelin (I'm 37 now). I've got a worn-out paperback copy and also a really nice library edition that I bought second hand. Got Richard Cole's book in paperback and hardback, too, and met him in person once. Anyhow...yes, great book. The Celebration books are also great.

I am 37 to :D .....I need to ask you this. when I was 16 HOTG had just came out, and I got it for Christmas. (it was the hard cover) I read it about 4 times....now a few years back I bought the paperback (the new eddition) and they seemed to be two different books!...I wish I had kept my book from 86 because I would like to compare just to see if I am not crazy!......lol

was this book re-written?....it sure seemed like it.

Led Zeppelin: The Final Acclaim by Dave Lewis (out of print)

Cheers Steve! (if I may call you so)

Amazon seems to have a few second hand copies. I'll give it a go and see how it reads. I must say I do have confidence in D. Lewis as I did enjoy the Celebration books. His admiration and high esteem for the band is apparent even though in retrospect he seems realistic regarding many aspects through out their career (Knebworth...?).

I am curious to see whether it reads more like a novel (as previously mentioned), or documented events, although I suspect the latter.

Anywhoo, thanks again

I am 37 to :D .....I need to ask you this. when I was 16 HOTG had just came out, and I got it for Christmas. (it was the hard cover) I read it about 4 times....now a few years back I bought the paperback (the new eddition) and they seemed to be two different books!...I wish I had kept my book from 86 because I would like to compare just to see if I am not crazy!......lol

was this book re-written?....it sure seemed like it.

No, you're not crazy, I have 2 paperbacks of the book, because I thought I'd lost it so I bought it again, then my original turned up. The later edition isn't necessarily re-written, but there are parts that are updated and things are elaborated on that were initially left out. For all the criticism Davis has gotten for the book being too "sordid", I think there were certain things he left out, then decided in later editions to include because enough time had passed that he felt the truth could now be told.

Any & all of the Dave Lewis books are good - in fact most of them are must - haves (particularly Concert File & the Celebration books).

Strangely enough the best new Zeppelin book I've come across in the last few years is the Rough Guide. There are a few things that the hardcore can get picky with, but it's well written & covers a lot of ground (& let's face it, the hardcore can get picky with every single Zep book ever published). It's fairly impartial, too.

Shadwick's book - the chapter I read - severely annoyed me. It was supposedly a musical analysis of Physical Graphitti, but it was fairly obvious that in places he was talking complete bollocks, but trying to sound like a musicologist. I'll probably try it again sometime, but I'm in no hurry.

since I wanst there in the time they call the 70s. I wish I would have been...

Watch out, if you're taking a trip (time machine :)) into the 70s, not everything was sweet as molases......except Zep of course. Sometimes I don't know how I got outta that vortex of events alive :):):):)

it's an entertaining book, I won't deny that. (though the translation is a bit annoying at times.)

not very accurate though. :)

and don't let your age be an excuse of not knowing much about certain bands or whatever. :D there's tons of reading material everywhere and of course the stories from people more on "the know."

I have ordered the "Celebrations" book about 14 days ago. It will arrive in 14 days, I hope. You say it is a good book? So I´m very happy, because I didn´t know, which book to order. There is not a great choice in our internet shops and it is difficult to order it from abroad.

I´m already looking forward to it! :)

Archived