Honeydrippers Tribute to Ahmet

nirvana

Just before Ahmet passed away, Robert and him were planning to go into a Studio to start recording Volume II of the Honeydrippers Project.

I believe that Robert should continue with the album of Ahmet's favorite RnB, Rockabilly, and Swing numbers and add that to Ahmet's Charity.

Volume I was one of Robert's biggest sellers, Sea of Love, Rockin' at Midnight, etc. were great songs sung in all the right spirit. Volume II would have continued that had Robert not put it aside when Ahmet tragically passed on.

I'd like to see the HD tradition continue and proceeds added to Ahmet's charitable organizations in the coming future.

Does anyone agree?

Just before Ahmet passed away, Robert and him were planning to go into a Studio to start recording Volume II of the Honeydrippers Project.

I believe that Robert should continue with the album of Ahmet's favorite RnB, Rockabilly, and Swing numbers and add that to Ahmet's Charity.

Volume I was one of Robert's biggest sellers, Sea of Love, Rockin' at Midnight, etc. were great songs sung in all the right spirit. Volume II would have continued that had Robert not put it aside when Ahmet tragically passed on.

I'd like to see the HD tradition continue and proceeds added to Ahmet's charitable organizations in the coming future.

Does anyone agree?

Yes, Ahmet had made this suggestion but I don't recall it having much momentum at all.

It seems to me Robert was stalling, and I don't remember Jimmy Page committing to it.

I think it's probably best the concert remain alone as their tribute to his memory.

It's funny how the world spins. Ahmet was in attendance for Robert's gig at the AC Hall

in Kowloon, Hong Kong on Jan 29 1984. Bassist (and Atlantic Records executive) Phil Carson joined Robert onstage that night for an improvised blues jam. After the show

Ahmet approached Robert with this idea of his for an anonymous R&B project, which ultimately became Honeydrippers Volume One.

Fast forward to May 11th 1984 and Robert Plant arrives in New York on a Friday night

for two days of studio work over that Mother's Day Weekend. On Sat, he recorded

three tracks, including 'Sweet Lorraine' with Jeff Beck and producer Nile Rodgers.

By the end of the weekend he'd recorded eight tracks, to include 'Honey Hush', 'Treat Her Right', 'I Get A Thrill', 'Sea of Love' and 'Young Boy Blues'. However, from these sessions only the takes for 'I Got A Woman' and 'I Get A Thrill' appear on the album.

The following month, Robert recorded additional takes of 'I Get A Thrill, 'Sea of Love' and 'Young Boy Blues' at a studio in London.

Robert had wanted to hear some jump blues on the radio so the A-side single 'Rockin' At Midnight' was released. The B-side, 'Sea of Love' was never intended to be a hit single, but the more airplay it got, the higher up it went on the charts that summer.

In Autumn 1984, Ahmet telephoned Robert at home in England to share with him that

The Honeydrippers Volume One had sold 100,000 copies. In the year of Culture Club,

Duran Duran and Michael Jackson, this was an astonishing success.

On December 15th 1984, Robert Plant returned to New York City to perform two songs

with an ad-hoc Honeydrippers on the American comedy show 'Saturday Night Live'.

(edit: spelling error corrected)

Robert was actually very keen on this project and was definitely going ahead with it until Ahmet's death. I trust him to make the right decision about going ahead with it - if he thinks he shouldn't, he shouldn't.

Incidentally he first played "Sea of Love" live in the rehearsals for his performance for "A Midsummer Night's Tube" in Newcastle's TTTV studios (with Roger Taylor of Queen on drums). He asked the opinion of a couple of friends of his in attendance at said rehearsal, who told him it was wonderful and he should record it. The rest is history...........

I remember at the time Jimmy Page being irritated about not playing live with the band when they recorded those tracks. He said Jeff Beck got to play live in studio with the band, while he was only allowed to overdub his solos.

I also have a Robert Plant interview during that era where he asked Jimmy, before the session, if he's been practicing his guitar. Ouch!

Robert was actually very keen on this project and was definitely going ahead with it until Ahmet's death. I trust him to make the right decision about going ahead with it - if he thinks he shouldn't, he shouldn't.

Incidentally he first played "Sea of Love" live in the rehearsals for his performance for "A Midsummer Night's Tube" in Newcastle's TTTV studios (with Roger Taylor of Queen on drums). He asked the opinion of a couple of friends of his in attendance at said rehearsal, who told him it was wonderful and he should record it. The rest is history...........

If those rehearsals were held same day as the actual recording for the telecast it was way back

on June 22nd 1983. The recollection I heard gave Ahmet a great deal of credit for the actual

Honeydrippers Volume One project. It would seem it is also true to say Robert already had some

inclinations towards experimenting with those songs before they met. Perhaps Ahmet's true role was simply to gave him the backing of the label to go in and get everything laid down for a

proper album. I wish he was still with us to ask for some clarification.

Thanks as always for the worthwhile post, Knebby.

I remember at the time Jimmy Page being irritated about not playing live with the band when they recorded those tracks. He said Jeff Beck got to play live in studio with the band, while he was only allowed to overdub his solos.

I also have a Robert Plant interview during that era where he asked Jimmy, before the session, if he's been practicing his guitar. Ouch!

I have read interviews where Robert praised Jimmy as being the Wagner of the Les Paul during this period. Jimmy's solo on Sea of Love is beautiful and shows his broad capability. Playing slow with passion, is not something Jimmy is famous for, but it should be.

I have read interviews where Robert praised Jimmy as being the Wagner of the Les Paul during this period. Jimmy's solo on Sea of Love is beautiful and shows his broad capability. Playing slow with passion, is not something Jimmy is famous for, but it should be.
I've heard Robert say both. He covers a lot of ground.

Ten Years Gone is the epitome of Page's slow, melodic and majestic playing. You can sing Page's best solos. That's extremely hard to achieve as a player, but Jimmy has the ability to edit himself. That's rare in a lead guitarist

Very true, good point. I would also put "Blues Anthem" from Outrider in that category.

Archived